Know your fords?

Page 2 / 3
whqqsh, Jul 17, 4:20am
12 as well, kept getting my Zephyrs & Consuls mixed up lol

thunderbolt, Jul 17, 4:40am
15/15 for me, must admit the year of Ford into NZ was an educated guess.

gman35, Jul 17, 4:42am
I am a UK Ford person normally , and have even owned a couple of NZ new Laser TX3's , but the person that called that POS at the start a "Capri" (really was just some kind of poor convertible Laser) should have been shot !

sandndude, Jul 17, 5:15am
14 out of 15. I got the consul wrong

quickstitch, Jul 17, 5:18am
14 out of 15, i got the ford badge changeover year wrong.

cuda.340, Jul 17, 5:25am
AND so what did you get! i'll admitt to 13/15 but i knew these because my mopars would pass these cars often enough it wasn't hard to remember what drof i just saw in the rear view.

socram, Jul 17, 5:26am
13/15 and not a Ford fan.One year wrong and what NZ Police ordered in 1970.

cuda.340, Jul 17, 5:38am
yeah i didn't recall the cops driving Zephyrs in 1970!

lookoutas, Jul 17, 5:41am
Had to take a guess at year Ford started in NZ - Wrong.
And got the F series year wrong.
That Police Q was a trap socram - bet you put Falcon. I can clearly remember that Mk IV stalking me.

freedomaira320, Jul 17, 5:45am

gunhand, Jul 17, 5:49am
12 from 15, F seriespolice question and a consol wrong.

v8_mopar, Jul 17, 5:56am
There is always the exception to the rule. Falcon as me everydaya and then mopar collector. I say its a good combination and a great hobby

ema1, Jul 17, 6:02am
15/15 I'm a FORD FANATIC so it seems. Must admit 1948 was a lucky stab for the 'F' series Ford trucks, all else no probs.
The FoMoCo starting up in 1936 in NZ could have been a trick for some folks but my folks owned a 1936 V8 4 door ( Centre Poise) bequeathed from my grandad (Mum's father.)to my Mum in 1951
It was fully Canadian built and was imported early 1936 just before Ford started assembling the same model from Canadian sourced CKD kits in NZ.
First owner ordered it in January 1936 and it got here in March of that year, My grandad bought it in April 1937 from the local Ford agent after trading in a 1927 FordModel "T" beauty which he had from brand new in October 1927.
Man I would love to have that Ford V8 right now ( even the 1927 "T" would be a worthy contender) as I have many vivid memories of The V8 when I was a boy in the early to mid 1950's, car was sold on in 1957-8 .I seem to recall.
The 1936 Ford V8 4 door was the first to be CKD assembled here in NZ, not sure what other Ford V8 models were CKDwhen assembly started in 1936 though!

lookoutas, Jul 17, 6:04am
And I get the next Q right -- That's a Zodiac, the Cops only had Zephyr's

ema1, Jul 17, 6:15am
They were all floor shifter model Mk4 Zephyr's with a few mods ex Ford to make em handle better than standard MK4's, had a bit to do with those actually. The MOT got Falcons that year and 1971 as well. A right old mix of cars the MOT had back then, good old days they were.
They all sorts of makes as mufti's back then too, I recall a beefed up AP5 Valiant V8 Regal doing the mufti job down our way for some time, man that thing could "stir it's stumps".
Not a lot got away from it I can tell ya.

ema1, Jul 17, 6:15am
They were all floor shifter model Mk4 Zephyr's with a few mods ex Ford to make em handle better than standard MK4's, had a bit to do with those actually. The MOT got Falcons that year and 1971 as well. Mostly GN-H (Holdens ) from then on but a right old mix of cars the MOT had back then, good old days they were.
Vauxhall's featured a lot too back in the 1960's and they could go like stink .
They had all sorts of makes as mufti's back then too, I recall a beefed up AP5 Valiant V8 Regal between 1968 and 1972 doing the mufti job down our way for some time, man that thing could "stir it's stumps". I reckon it had the HP engine kit same as that the 1965-66 Plymouth Barracuda and Dodge Dart GT in the USA used that punched out 230BHP in it's 273cid V8 as it sounded perkier than the standard 273cid V8 which was 180BHP.
Not a lot got away from it I can tell ya.

lookoutas, Jul 17, 6:38am
I had to do it again, just to click Consol instead of Cortina, as they were a Consol Cortina, so Consol is not completely wrong. (But it was)

Yeh - they were 4 on the floor ema. We used to give the local Cowboy heaps coz he wouldn't put radials on it. He loved drifting those crossplys.

When they gave him a Falcon, he used to stake out a Mustang every Friday night that went through to the mountain, but he could never catch it.
He came into work last thing one Fri all prepared - back seats gone, boot empty, not even the spare or tools, and just enough gas to get him to the pumps at the Chateau. He turned up on Monday with a rundown, and he said he was gaining until he turned into the Chateau road, "Selected 2, and ran out of gas"
We all pissed ourselves.

socram, Jul 17, 6:54am
Love stories like that!Reminds me of Maurice O Reilly's hilarious book "A Series of Small Explosions".

lookoutas, Jul 17, 7:09am
Maurice O Reilly was the Ford Car salesman here at the time!

cuda.340, Jul 17, 8:08am
this shows a Zodiac not a Zephyr

extrayda, Jul 17, 8:11am
14/15 Got the Consul convertible wrong.
I admit to complete guess on year Ford came to NZ and the year of the F series Trucks.Only got the Zephyr one as I have a photo somewhere of an old Humber(!) embedded in the side of a Police Zephyr.Will still have that one somewhere.

extrayda, Jul 17, 8:14am
Well done to Cuda.340.I'd be terrible at Mopars, as the Ford would go past them so quickly it would be hard to tell what they were exactly.
Although I would definitely recognise a Superbird (one of my dream cars actually, and could out spoiler any ricer !).

v8_mopar, Jul 17, 8:28am
And with prob the most famous engine in history would defiantly out run any ford of its time plus many to come

Gotta love that nose cone too :D

alimac1, Jul 17, 8:36am
15/15. The benefits of growing up with a Ford mechanic for a father. Even though he didi his apprenticeship at an Austin dealer in the 30s

v8_mopar, Jul 17, 8:49am
wow not bad coming from an altezza man