Wanting 2 purchase a volkwagon prassat

Page 1 / 2
redhead21, Aug 1, 12:39am
does anyone know anything nasty about these vehicles.I know buying any second vehicle is a chance you take but we have heard for and against stories about this particular type of vehicle. :)

phillip.weston, Aug 1, 12:46am
uh oh. this will spark a debate for sure. It's a Passat by the way, not a Prassat.

I think it all really depends on how old it is. and how many years it has remaining on the factory warranty.

inkapuka, Aug 1, 1:12am
Euro trash

motorboy2011, Aug 1, 1:22am
here we go.

trogedon, Aug 1, 2:11am
The Prassat is the Indian model.

tmenz, Aug 1, 2:54am
A Prassat is a Prat with an ass in it.

redhead21, Aug 1, 3:04am
I was a little reluctant to ask this on here mainly because of the immaturity of people that seem to reply.I am sorry I spelt the name wrong, didnt realise that the spelling police lingered here.Still I guess the majority were no help and that is so what I had anticipated. will use by own kiwi ingenuity and go ahead with the purchase anyway. thanks for nothing. :)

bellky, Aug 1, 3:18am
No worries^. thejazzpianoma could be along later if you're lucky. He knows alll about them. Good luck.

mrfxit, Aug 1, 4:27am
Plain Passat or GT
Got a GT here & it runs pretty good

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 5:14am
Hi redhead21,

Welcome to the sub-reality that is the motoring messageboard. Anything not Japanese will be despised and no stretch of the truth or blatant lie is too much in the war to discredit European cars.

Glad you can see straight through it.

Now to the Passat, I will keep this short in case my breath is wasted because you have given up and won't return. If you do check back, please fill me in on the year and engine of the Passat you are looking at and then I can help you out with what you need to know.

In general though, fantastic car for the money, they are well built, parts are cheap, service intervals long and they are very reliable. That said, cars are cars so of course you want to make sure you know how to find a good one and what to do to make and keep it reliable.

Fill me in on the details and I can help you with that.

metzeler, Aug 1, 5:35am
quote" parts are cheap, service intervals long and they are very reliable."
Does it mater if the parts are cheap if in fact they are so reliable!
My advice is to the buyer is get it checked out as they can bite hard if they give problems.
The very fact you are asking means you have doubts already.

doctor_evil99, Aug 1, 5:35am
Avoid the DSG gearbox. go for manual.

realtrader1, Aug 1, 5:38am
Yes, it's a shame some go overboard and end up being rather rude to someone who is just trying to find information.In part, I think it's due to the frustration generated by a number of posts that are full of grammatical errors, little or no punctuation, txt speak, no make, model, year etc. or posts that just don't make sense!However, I am not making excuses!Sadly, it becomes a sport.

On the other hand, personally, I think if people are sloppy and don't check what they are sending to the message board then it's a bit poor on their part really.It's a matter of self respect and respect for others.Yes, mistakes are easily made.LET'SCHECK, THEN SEND!Let's all try to be tolerant too!Let's keep it friendly!

Anyway. without trying to be pedantic I am having difficulty with what you have written: "buying any second vehicle is a chance you take"I presume you mean any second hand vehicle!Then you say "but we have heard for and against stories about this particular type of vehicle".That's confusing.If we, including yourself, have heard for and against stories maybe you have got your info already!Maybe some good advice will come along.Give them another try!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 5:38am
Ahh and they continue to come out of the woodwork.

strobo, Aug 1, 5:42am
Heybuddy enough of that! lol euro keeps me employed;)

metzeler, Aug 1, 5:45am
Oh come on mate where is there any negative posts in theses last 3,looks like maybe be you enjoy an argument!

metzeler, Aug 1, 5:47am
Hey they keep me drinking, heavily.
Just kidding jazz.

redhead21, Aug 1, 6:50am
cheers for your mature answer and one that I appreciate.Its a 5 speed 2002 tiptronic.Looks in great order and has been well looked after.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 7:03am
You are welcome!

O.K, those facelift ones are pretty good. Not exactly a sporting drive but comfortable and a lot of car for the coin.

The big thing though is which engine, you have some very different things to be aware of depending on which one it has. Just the engine capacity i.e 1.8 is all I need to know which one.

I take it it's a 2WD one too!

Those transmissions are very good units but like all auto's need to be serviced. If its got higher km's and no servicing has been done you may be better to look elsewhere, but if its got lower km's just get it serviced straight away and you should be good to go. Don't take it to the likes of Pitstop or similar monkey's though, just a good garage who will use the proper fluid and change the filter.

Again, like any car its the auto that's the expensive bit if it breaks so check carefully for slippage before buying.

The only real Passat only weak point is the air conditioning system. Make sure it goes and continue to use it regularly to keep it that way. If it dosn't its possible it will need a valve replacement that will set you back thousands because the dashboard has to be ripped out to change it. Its a very un VW type procedure as most other jobs are good to do on these.

Hopefully that gives you something to start with. Come back with the engine size and perhaps km's and I can help you out further.

EDIT, one more thing. Are you going to be servicing this yourself or taking to a mechanic!

metzeler, Aug 1, 8:37am
"Looks great" well that's enough for me buy it.Funny people European owners.And well looked after,and how do you know this!because its shiny.

tigra, Aug 1, 8:57pm
Its like buying any car. get it checked out thoroughly by somebody who knows about such cars. Maybe Hutt City European in your case

tigra, Aug 1, 8:57pm
OOPS Sorry wrong location. Red I thought you were based in Hutt Valley.

doug207, Aug 2, 1:45am
Yeah because people who buy anything that isn't European are much more educated in buying a vehicle and the cleanliness of said vehicle means nothing to them.
You muppet.

I'm sure Jazz will talk you through the common problems with the Passat, they had a few common issues, but every car does. Nice car for the money.

metzeler, Aug 2, 5:40am
Euro owners tend to be very image conscious and get ruled by the heart more than the head in a lot of cases.Only to find out the ugly truth later.
And so whats a muppet got to do with my oppinion then!I stopped name calling many years ago when I got big boys pants.

intrade, Aug 2, 5:10pm
passat what year! they are fully galvanised like all vw from 1998 onwards with 12 year factorry non rust warranty. Problem are automaitc transmission and dsg manual-automatic are not the best option . manual transmission would be better but most have a dualmass flywheel on the diesel option. toyota diesel also most got a dualmass flywheel and the flyweel need replacing for solid mass or another duelmass . other knowen passat issues are front substruts steering suspension wishbone wear out and need replacing more often then on some other cars.Thats about it for more read passat forums.