Please can someone explain about my failed warrant

Page 2 / 2
steve312, Aug 6, 6:11am
A WOF is a snapshot of the visual condition of a vehicle on the day of inspection.It does not predict the condition of the vehicle in 6 months time or even a weeks time.The amount of wear in vehicle components is so conditional on the quality of the parts and how the vehicle has been used that it is impossible to predict what will or will not be up to WOF standard at the next inspection.

Its a huge call for a workshop to make a guess at what condition the vehicle was in 6 months previously.I don't believe it can be done with any degree of certainty.

bigspender01, Aug 6, 6:15am
I'm sure you are correct, I guess I will find out tomorrow what the outcome will be, but thanx for the info and advice

curlcrown, Aug 6, 7:23am
So you bought a car that has done well over 200000km six months ago. It seems that it was over 6 years old at the time otherwiseyou wouldn't be taking it for another W.O.F. yet and you are taking the dealer to court because of a failed W.O.F. now. It is reasonable under the consumer gaurenties act that the car may well fail a W.O.F. 6 moths after purchace. I don't belive you have a leg to stand on.

hrt, Aug 6, 8:44am
A jump wire in the ABS speed sensor wiring would make the light come on, not go off. This thread seems to lack vehicle details.

roberto9, Aug 6, 8:55am
surprises me that within 2 days you have had time to approach the dealer for a remedy, and then file for and get a court date, something doesn't quite ad up, in my view.

bigspender01, Aug 6, 9:28am
Ok ok since you havent quite grasped what I have said perhaps I havent made it clear enough, and of course I havent done all this in 2 days!I bought the car and on driving home I found there were some problems, a misfire, burning in the engine (oil ) lack of power, took it to my mechanic thinking I would be covered with a mechanical warranty. turns out abs light on was a failed warrant, the other problems would have cost a small fortune to have diagnosed, so did so as I could afford to, contacted the dealer who said there were no problems with the car and suggested I get it fixed with the warranty, not covered as problems were pre existing, made an application to motor vehicle disputes tribunal and it has taken a few weeks and in the interim the warrant had run out, so I had to take it for a warrant 2 days ago which has failed due to ball joints etc, my question was could the existing problems (ball joints etc) have been present when the previous warrant was issued, I have evidence that the problems immediately noticed when I had bought the car, I had checked two days later. Fords have said no way this car should have passed a warrant, there were several issues with it, this was done 3 weeks after I bought the car, I would have needed to spend a few hundred to have the other problems diagnosed, and possibly I would have been up for almost 2k all up to fix it, hope that clears things up for you

snoopy221, Aug 6, 9:31am
Love it member !-LMAO

NZTools, Aug 6, 9:51am
If you had said all that in your first post, you would have got completely different answers.

You SHOULD HAVE taken the car back to the dealer you bought it off, and got him to remedy the faults you noticed while driving home.
Taking it to another garage and having the faults fixed without giving the dealer the oppertunity to do so first, is not the correct way of doing it, and it gets quite tricky from then on in.

roberto9, Aug 6, 10:14am
exactly!

hrt, Aug 6, 11:25am
Yep, as soon as you start working on it or paying someone, then you've taken away the option for the dealer to have it repaired for you. Which means you're up for the costs of what you've spent on.

Something else doesn't quite add up. you're bought this from a dealer which would imply the warrant was less than a month old when you purchased it. The warrant has now run out, which would mean you've been driving it for up to 5 months with known issues!

You cant prove balljoints or rack ends were worn over any particular period of time. And they're not something you're going to feel in the handling or steering of the vehicle unless they're completely and utterly stuffed.

icemans1, Aug 6, 3:15pm
dodgy warrants and car dealers - been there, done that

strobo, Aug 6, 4:34pm
No Clue

fordkiwi27, Aug 6, 7:15pm
like blood from a stone.What car

kazbanz, Aug 6, 8:51pm
OP I utterly sympathise that you have an unsafe car. What I'm failing to grasp is why you diddn't do a U turn and take it straight back to the sdealer right away. Either insist it be fixed or to reject the vehicle and get your money back.
How I see the hearing going is -You say x y and z are wrong. The dealer says but I diddn't know about it why wasn't it returned to me as required under the law. Best case senario the dealer is ordered by the court to repair the vehicle but unlikely for the\m to have to pay for work they diddn't give permission to be carried out.
Now if you argue the WOF was dodgy then you need a whole new case against the WOF issueing company. The responsibility for the dodgy WOF rests with the person with the wof "licence"

bellky, Aug 6, 8:55pm
Good luck. You'll be alright.

bellky, Aug 6, 9:12pm
That's right.