Please can someone explain about my failed warrant

Page 1 / 2
bigspender01, Aug 6, 3:47am
failed on play in both front out lower ball joints.

Play in both inner steering rack ends.

steering has always felt a bit funny and when turning into a road the steering wheel making a grinding noise!

Need to understand what effects would I have noticed with the car with these problems, going to court tomorrow and need to know what I'm talking about

thanx in advance

NZTools, Aug 6, 3:59am
I doubt the average person would be able to feel the difference between worn out lower ball joints, and new outer ball joints.
You may have been able to feel a little free-play in the steering from the worn inner rack ends.

What has going to court got to do with it!

bigspender01, Aug 6, 4:04am
car dealer issues

curlcrown, Aug 6, 4:07am
We need to know more than what the car failed on. How long ago did you buy the car! How much was it! Were you told of any faults when you bought it! Year and mileage! Has the dealer made you any offer to repair or replace the car or even refund!

NZTools, Aug 6, 4:15am
Ball joints and steering rack ends are things that are expected to wear out from time to time on a car, just like tyres and brake pads

They are things that are not really the dealers responsibilty.

nzfatie, Aug 6, 4:19am
Unless the dealer sold it with a dodgy WOF!!

steve312, Aug 6, 4:19am
Really badly worn outer suspension joints can cause the vehicle to dive into a corner.You start your turn and get part way round when the car suddenly veers into the turn.

Vehicle can be a bit wandery on the road with worn tie rod ends.You can sometimes feel a thump through the steering wheel with worn rack ends too.They need to be pretty bad to be felt through the steering though.

Be aware that some vehicles have an amount of play in suspension joints that is acceptable for WOF checks though.

bigspender01, Aug 6, 4:19am
my thoughts also

bigspender01, Aug 6, 4:21am
how often would these things need replacing please and what sort of mileage would have needed to be done roughly

bellky, Aug 6, 4:26am
They last 10s and 10s of thousands of kms.

NZTools, Aug 6, 4:27am
It depends entirely on the life the vehicle has had, but on average, I would expect from 120 to 140,000 kms onwards would see the start of suspension and steering balljoint joint replacements

bigspender01, Aug 6, 4:34am
so the chances are that at 220700kms they could have been needed to be replaced!

bigspender01, Aug 6, 4:35am
I have done less than 1000kms

steve312, Aug 6, 4:41am
I have found vehicles that have had rack ends replaced at the previous WOF and are stuffed again 6 months later.

All parts are not made equal.Cheap is not always good.

It is not normally a problem to get them replaced on warranty though.As mentioned by previous posters, I would normally expect them to last for years.

bigspender01, Aug 6, 4:42am
ok many thanx

bigspender01, Aug 6, 4:48am
again many thanx

bellky, Aug 6, 5:05am
Just be aware that it's not a black and white issue though. Some (small amount of) play in those joints is acceptable and different inspectors draw the line in (ever so slightly different) places.

bigspender01, Aug 6, 5:12am
ok will do, but I think a dodgy warrant has been issued as when I had the car looked at hoisted up they found left wheel rear speed sensor disconnected and jump wire put into wiring harness and new insolation tape was found around the speed sensor plug, so the chances are the other problems were also current perhaps

steve312, Aug 6, 5:17am
That may be so but proving it was there or should have been picked up is going to be difficult.

bigspender01, Aug 6, 5:29am
Yes I know I cant prove it, but as the car had been tampered with and the previous warrant sheet is bearly readable, theres no ticks or crosses on it cant make anything out on it, I guess the other problems would cast doubt in the mind of the adjudicator! there are other problems as well as the ones I have mentioned

bigspender01, Aug 6, 5:30am
lol no but I wish I had

steve312, Aug 6, 5:32am
How old is the WOF sheet!

bigspender01, Aug 6, 5:32am
6 months and mine 2 days

steve312, Aug 6, 5:39am
6 months since the supposedly dodgey WOF!It is highly possible that the wear in the suspension joints and rack ends has just got to the stage where it is no longer acceptable.Who could possibly guess what they were like 6 months ago.

New tape on the ABS connector and plug sounds more like it is a recent modification not 6 months old.

I would imagine you are going to be told that you are wasting the courts time.

bigspender01, Aug 6, 5:43am
hope not, fords took photos and told me there is no way that the car should have been given a warrant