The Monaro that was on the Rena

Page 1 / 4
mizzip, Jul 25, 12:14pm

fordkiwi27, Jul 25, 1:28pm
looks burnt! or am i drunk

nathanmac, Jul 25, 2:01pm
Wow that's really munted it.Looks like there will be next to nothing of use left on it.

m16d, Jul 25, 6:35pm
What makes you think it was on the Rena.!
It's completly burnt out but the aluminium wheels and tires are OK,and the container is cut open with a gas axe.!
Wierd.

NZTools, Jul 25, 6:58pm
I'd say it is a set-up. If that car had burnt where it was sitting, the paint on the inside walls (and outside walls) of that container would be toast. The radiant heat off a burning car iis huge

ghost-roaster, Jul 25, 7:02pm
it's not burnt.

friendly_prawn, Jul 25, 7:32pm
Its not burnt. if it were burnt the tyres wouldnt still be there.
Why would they gas axe open the container!Why not open the container doors! And how did it get to look so bad! Was the container under water! Would that have done it!

splinter67, Jul 25, 7:54pm
where is the right front roof pillar if it is his car bummer at least he got it back hope he was insured looks a bit fishy lol

gman35, Jul 25, 8:19pm
Well , from the pic that looks like it was always a p.o.s. to me , can't believe that was the "apparently very tidy" car that was on the boat , regardless if it had been underwater and even knocked around inside the container ! Looks like it was never complete in the 1st place. As others here say , front pillar etc , why was container cut open ! Weird.

floscey, Jul 25, 8:42pm
its now a Marina

splinter67, Jul 25, 8:45pm
Roflmao

dr.doolittle, Jul 25, 8:58pm
What else was in the container with it to cause all the smaller dents!
What happened to the upholstery!
Does notlook right to me.

muzzaandmich, Jul 25, 9:11pm
Failed wof rear number plate lightfaulty

johnf_456, Jul 25, 9:12pm
Hopefully the owner has insurance

tigra, Jul 25, 9:15pm
Agree.I can remember seeing many of the cars taken off the Wahine when it went down all those years ago and it looks similar. Would presume the damage is because of the treatment the container got.

stevo2, Jul 25, 9:23pm
I remember the write up in the paper at the time saying it was in mint condition

rsr72, Jul 25, 10:50pm
The damage looks entirely consistent with weeks or months of being washed around and battered inside a container, either submerged or partly submerged.

mizzip, Jul 25, 10:57pm
I think this was one of the containers that's been at the bottom of the sea for almost a year, and I can assure you, the weather at the time was horrific!Big swells out on the lab would have caused this, the car rolling around inside the container. I mean, the swells broke the ship in half remember.As for why they cut the container, who knows.But a guy that works for CMA took the photo.

attitudedesignz, Jul 25, 10:59pm
It looks to have been bashed around so much the flutes have come out of the "GTS" guards.

Something really not quite right with that pic'.

chebry, Jul 25, 10:59pm
That aint gunna buff out

mizzip, Jul 25, 11:05pm
What do you mean!Like its been photoshopped or something!

There were apparently two cars onboard the ship, I don't know if they've found the other car yet. maybe the other one is the flash Monaro. although if you read the comments on that photo, someone knows the owner of this car and he said he threw a fit. quite rightly so I'd say lol

rsr72, Jul 25, 11:06pm
The container looks like it's just a modified yard container for moving cargo around in.

mizzip, Jul 25, 11:10pm
Well that makes more sense :-)

mizzip, Jul 25, 11:17pm
The car might have come completely out of the container, some of those containers were extensively damaged. the car might have been salvaged without the container, although I'd expect to see more damage from the crane chains.

attitudedesignz, Jul 25, 11:23pm
They're going to put a plastic sheet on top & side and make it a live size Hot Wheels in its original packaging LOL.