Whats the story with the guy on Chinermans Hill?

Page 1 / 2
dr.doolittle, Jul 20, 3:00am
You know where I mean, just up the hill from MOTAT.
He's had cars rotting under rotting blue tarps for as long as I can remember.
All fenced-off & the only thing it lacks is tumble-weed.
I'm just being nosey thats all. (I went past last week).
Is he a dealer from 'back in the day' trapped in a time warp or an 'investor'.

the-lada-dude, Jul 20, 3:20am
for a minute there i was thinking, if he wants to bump start them hes got the best hill in auckland, then i realized that's the ' bullock track ' and not chinamans hill.hey how did it get that name anyway !fascinating howthese names get .i mean youv'e got places like forest hill, crown hill. benny hillha ha !

xpfairmont, Jul 20, 3:28am
It's where all the Chinese market gardeners used to live, along time ago.
Those cars have been there almost as long

tool.man, Jul 20, 4:36am
sutton motors they used be called

friendly_prawn, Jul 20, 4:57am
might be worth knocking on his door, might be some nice little surprises *bargains* to be had sitting under those tarps if they havent all rotted away.

fordkiwi27, Jul 20, 5:15am
blimmen aucklanders! say the area ,there is life beyond the bombays haha

friendly_prawn, Jul 20, 5:24am
No there isnt.

dr.doolittle, Jul 20, 6:02am
Google it bonehead.

dr.doolittle, Jul 20, 6:06am
I've heard of Sutton Motors before but this place has NEVER had a sign or anything like that to my knowledge.
At least not for the past 30yrs that I can recall.

tool.man, Jul 20, 6:14am
i used to go to school with the sons there .there dad used to pick them up from school in old caddys i think thats whats under those tarps now

tool.man, Jul 20, 6:15am
oh this was at least 1975 onwards ish

dr.doolittle, Jul 20, 6:20am
I thought they were old Caddy's from memory.
Seems a shame to let them rot.

tool.man, Jul 20, 6:23am
yeah yer never see any one there .place hasent changed for years

dr.doolittle, Jul 20, 6:53am

extrayda, Jul 20, 7:18am
I remember that place, it was a little car yard of some sort (as above).Funny last time I noticed it thats what it was - obviously a while since I have driven up that road!

friendly_prawn, Jul 20, 7:48am
yeah been a few year since I been there to but he used to have a few yank tanks parked out the front. wonder if thats whats under the tarps.
why doesn't some one go knock on his door and see if they can pick up a bargain or offer to list whats left of them on trademe for him for a cut in the sales.
never know your luck unless you try. Hmm, weekend coming up. :-)

dr.doolittle, Jul 20, 7:59am
Thats a 'sad' post FP & you know it.
Not your style at all.

friendly_prawn, Jul 20, 8:16am
Got me. sad in what way.
They are rotting away.
Some one would be doing them a huge favour listing whats ever left under those tarps for the owner.
Not that I could really be bothered doing it myself to be honest, but if i did, I sure would be sticking my hand out for a cut. The guy has the option of doing it himself of course, but then he has had plenty of time. If some one dont approach him soon and make him some sort of offer there is going to be nothing left for any one.See how my weekend goes, I may just go knock on his door. Unless some one else wants too.

If you find that sad so be it lol Stuffed if I can see whats wrong with helping the dude out.

friendly_prawn, Jul 20, 8:18am
But again, i sure wouldnt be doing it for nothing. got better things to do with my time.

friendly_prawn, Jul 20, 9:16am
come on dr.dolittle.
Im curious as to what you meant.

xs1100, Jul 20, 9:27am
i think they are owned by a guy called geoff youngman,ask at the import yard across the road they ll know

ckd.bu.mopars, Jul 24, 4:24am
I walked by there quite often in the early 90s,yep caddys,oldsmoblles, mercurys and a lincoln Continental . I think they hired them for weddings.

friendly_prawn, Jul 24, 4:33am
I can just imagine what they would look like under those tarps.
Hard to fathom how some one could just let them sit there and rot away like that eh!
You would think at some stage he would be thinking, better do something about them before there is nothing left.

friendly_prawn, Jul 24, 4:35am
Doubt they would be salvagable now. Just been too long.

rsr72, Jul 24, 4:50am
It was a wedding car hire business originally at that address in the late 1960'swith 50's & 60's Chevys and Caddys.
The house and hire business was owned and lived in by a likeable guy whose nickname was 'Tupp', also the driver, and who also worked as an evening barman in the upstairs Garden Bar at the Gluepot, the 'Flying Jug', (the old Ponsonby Club Hotel) on Ponsonby Rd.