Sunroof, complete removel and filling the hole?

Page 2 / 3
zephyrheaven, Aug 9, 10:04am
He lives on premix for his KDX / Monster Energy & fast women - I think Gorre might have one of the above

carmedic, Aug 9, 10:10am
The panel bond idea won??

asa50, Aug 9, 10:26am
Please post a photo of before and after once you are done

rob_man, Aug 9, 10:45am
Any Falcon roof up to XY will have the same profile so there will be a body shell somewhere you can pinch the centre of the turret from if you need to. If I was filling the hole as opposed to replacing the whole panel I would be tempted to make the fill in panel about 12 mms bigger and fold the edges to 90 degrees to give it some rigidity. I'm assuming the original sunroof aperture has a channel or at least a fold which would also act as a stiffener for both the welding and reduce flexing later on.

fordmfp, Aug 9, 7:38pm
Couldnt you put a larger piece of panel steel on from under the roof and panel bond it then cut a piece the exact size of the hole and panel bond it in from on top! Then you would have double thickness so would be stronger and you would only need a small amount of bog between the join! Just an idea lol probably wrong

klrider, Aug 9, 7:46pm
Paint it the same colour as the car, no one will notice

gunhand, Aug 10, 6:38am
We are thinking of cutting the patch or as you said finding a panel off a another car then stitching a 50mm odd lip around the inside of the patch so when pushed into the hole it will have that lip to give some strength as well as something to panel bond to inside of car roof. The patch should be flush and tight hopefull then take two weeks to weld in LOL.

rob_man, Aug 10, 7:01am
You may find almost any turret from that era will have a profile which will suit, 50 mm may be a bit much for the lip. "That's the trouble with you patch, you're just too damn lippy."

sifty, Aug 10, 8:55am
What about fitting a period sunroof! (if there was such an option).
Or making a steel one that can be painted same as rest of car but is removable, that would look ok with a discrete edge round it.

Just chucking ides out there.

joanie32, Aug 11, 12:48am
my oh my, take the car to agood panelbeater, its really scary the sugestionscomingup here. Any beater SHOULD be able to patch sometimg like that withminimal bog, agood beaterwont use any.

ema1, Aug 11, 1:47am
The A.B.C. Pillar way wouldn't be prone to warping like a patch panel would be.
If a suitable donor car can be found I'd say the most cost effective and least "hair pulling" method would be the ole A.B.C.
Extremely accurate cutting and mating of the pillars would be called for as a matter of course.

supernova2, Aug 11, 2:04am
Tui anyone!Forgive me if I'm wrong but the OP is a panel shop so i consider it was good practice to ask what others think before just ripping into it.IMHO there are very few beaters who can put a big patch in the middle of a roof panel without it being very obvious.

kazbanz, Aug 11, 2:33am
gunhand my thinking would be A) get a replacement skin.By far the easiest option.
2) if A just can't be done then Id be doing a two step repair.
First either a solid patch or maybee a wide lip patch glued/welded to the inside of the roof then a second patch laid into the actual hole over the first patch.that will give you a really miniscule line to fill
My reasoning being that either you are going to need a stack of filler (2.0mm) to bring a patch to the level of the rest of the roof or you may get distortion on your weld edges and be chasing your tail getting it smooth.
By spreading the load up under the origonal roof you lessen chances of distortion

gunhand, Aug 11, 2:34am
You are welcome to come and do it for the going rate as a panelbeater Im sure.And its not every day you get asked to fill in a sunroof. Ive been in and around this trade for a fair while and its a first for us. I dont think many others would have done it either.
And whats your suggestion and recomended way of doing this!

joanie32, Aug 11, 2:37am
Comon, really! People think this requires some kind of super-beater todo! Any tradesman should be able to do that or they should hang up their hat.

supernova2, Aug 11, 2:39am
Been thinking about this and wonder if the idea of the support lip and fill panel with the panel bond is the best but fill the crack with lead or maybe braze it.Just wondering if that idea might prevent the bog crack problem.Might be wrong but the Citroen L15 had an infill panel for the sunroof and that was leaded.

biddy6, Aug 11, 2:41am
Hey joanie, what trade are you expert in.

joanie32, Aug 11, 2:43am
Panel beater by trade, but dont claim to be an expert anything.

biddy6, Aug 11, 2:45am
Then give some advice, not deride everyone elses.

supernova2, Aug 11, 2:52am
Hmmm.I have a mate that only works on resto jobs - usually yank supercarriers and he puts patches in everyday, often because you have to cut thru the outside to get to the inner rusty bits.So I've seen it done lots and on compoud areas it works without any difficulty.Given the size of a sunroof and the fact that the panel is almost flat and without compound curves to hold its shape my thinking is its going to be fun to keep it perfect.How many beaters cut panels in half and then butt weld them back together without any filler!IMHO thats the equivalent to trying to put a big square patch in the middle of a roof skin.

joanie32, Aug 11, 3:13am
Personally, if it was mine, id be lookingfor a second hand roof ormake a newone. Wheelup the flatsurface anduse the original foldededges, butt weld right on cornerso theres sod all finishing to do. Patching wouldnt be too hard, but would probably take longer than the otherways

bellky, Aug 11, 3:16am

mrfxit, Aug 11, 3:16am
3 ways to do that.
Cut at the pillars
Cut the center out (back to the edge)
New skin

mrfxit, Aug 11, 3:19am
Isn't there a tool to create an "z" shape on the edge of the outer panel for placing inserts

rob_man, Aug 11, 4:35am
There's a crimping tool which puts a 12mm step about 1mm deep on the edge of panel steel.