Rover servicing in Auckland

pebbles61, Feb 26, 6:43am
Who/where is a good place to get a modern Rover serviced! Cheers.

a.woodrow, Feb 26, 6:56am
Any competent mechanic can service your rover

pebbles61, Feb 26, 7:17am
Well when I say servicing I meant getting 3 timing belts changed, and requires some model specific tools.

greghale, Feb 26, 7:35am
is it they K motor! If yes throw it away now Dont waste your dollars.

pebbles61, Feb 26, 7:35am
Why is that good sir!

esprit, Feb 26, 8:01am
KW Historics in East Tamaki, Auckland have good experience with the Rover K engines and various models.

pebbles61, Feb 26, 8:03am
Cheers mate _b.

tmenz, Feb 26, 8:19am
Roverland on the corner of Porana Rd.!

pebbles61, Feb 26, 8:23am
I've only hear bad things about Roverland, so will be staying away.

mgmad, Feb 26, 10:01am
Given you mention 3 belts I presume it's a KV6, if so it is possible to change all the belts yourself without the timing tool, not that I've done it.

Heritage Mechanical may be able to help in Henderson, not many know the cars better than Terry, but he has a lot on.

pebbles61, Feb 26, 10:52pm
Cheers for the tip mate. Yep it's a KV6.
I am considering doing it myself, but we'll see. This modern car stuff is rather new to me. Used to working on BMC/BL cars.

ajlnz11, Feb 27, 5:28am
Only place i would ever go is Heritage Mechanical in Henderson, ask for Terry, nothing he doesnt know about a Rover and reasonable too.

pebbles61, Feb 27, 6:23am
Awesome, I've tried to ring him today, not no one was answering. He sounds like he knows his stuff which pleases me as I'd like an on-going relationship with a decent mechanic as I do with the landcrab.

supernova2, Feb 27, 8:57am
That KV6 is not a good design IMHO.The Rover version was supposed to be OK but the version that was used by Kia was a nightmare (Google Kia Carnival engine).

In my tralling around the net I've recently seen a few threads bemoning the Rover version as well.

There is (was!) a Utube post showing head gasket chnage on a Rover KV6 which includes the cam belts etc.There are a couple of recommended tools but from memory there is a work around and all in all it didnt look too difficult.

pebbles61, Feb 27, 9:02am
Well I'll see how all the quotes come out, I might consider doing it myself, but then again I might just save up a few pennies and save the skin on my knuckles and for that peace of mind factor. As for the design, I can't comment, I haven't been a huge Rover fan up until recently, but I here the KV6 is pretty solid compared to the inline 4 K-series.

greghale, Feb 27, 9:14am
dont hold your breath . talk to your local rover club.

mgmad, Feb 27, 9:28am
Both K4 and KV6 engines are excellent engines and can give pretty reliable service when maintained well - the exception to this is the "KV6" used in the very last Rover 825s and the Kias which was essentially a pre-production version rushed into production by management. The KV6 fitted to the 75, ZT, ZS and Freelander is pretty good and is quite different to the earlier version. The only common problems being the variable intake system motors can pack up (easy fix) and the intake manifold itself can wear through oil contamination (more expensive job, but can be prevented with an oil catch tank). Neither of those cause any other damage and the car is still drivable, just down on power. The thermostat housing can leak and is a bit of pain to get to.

pebbles61, Feb 28, 12:07am
Looks like Heritage Mechanical has moved out of Auckland =( back to square one lol