New parking meters Wellington using car regn num

hawat, Oct 16, 11:29am
I read an article just quickly last week or so about new parking meters in Wellington (I think) where you only enter your car reg then just walk away. Those parks are already in place in Auckland at Wynyard Quarter and elsewhere. But I want to go back and read the article again because there was a mean spirited comment made by someone in the council saying that 'this will stop people passing their ticket on to others when they leave to use up the unused time'. I thought that was a terrible thing to say and I want to write to someone but just want to read the article again first. Did anyone else remember that article? I've googled but it didn't come up. I thought it was stuff but can't find it anywhere on there

oldboyjohn, Oct 16, 11:32am
If someone has paid for say 3 hours parking and due to whatever reason only uses 1, why not pass it on? The space is paid for for 3 hours, what does it matter who uses it?

vtecintegra, Oct 16, 11:46am
You tap in the space number not your rego

If you use the phone app instead you can link it to your rego and get any unused time refunded (if you remember to do so when you’re leaving the park)

hawat, Oct 16, 1:23pm
Nope you definitely enter your regn number. I've done it lots. Go look at the machines in the Wynyard Quarter by the fish market and tank farm

hawat, Oct 16, 1:28pm
Exactly my point and the reason I want to write to someone. Can no one remember the article?
I do it all the time and have had the same goodwill extended to me by others. Its not as tho the parking people are losing out because the park has already been paid for PLUS there are parks (one on Broadway in Newmarket) which on weekends only allows you to take either one hour or 8! nothing in between

martin11, Oct 16, 1:34pm
Picton and Waikawa marina have had these meters for a few years now for boat and trailer parking .

pauldw, Oct 16, 3:14pm
Not (as yet) in Wellington though. It's pay by space and the sensor under the car knows when you leave. Anyone moving into that space starts with a clean slate even if you had time left.

Edit try Christchurch
https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/97761864/paper-parking-vouchers-phased-out-to-make-way-for-pay-by-plate-system-in-christchurch

hawat, Oct 16, 4:12pm
Mongrels! I s'pose its legal otherwise they wouldn't have done it. But is it ethical? I mean if you pay for the rent on a place for a year then move out and let your mate live there for the rest of the year (restrictions on sub letting aside) does your mate have to pay again as soon as you move out?

hawat, Oct 16, 4:15pm
Thanks Pauldw that was the article I was looking for. I thought it was Wellington. Never mind I'll put something in the post to the editor at the Herald and the Press

mrs67, Oct 16, 4:33pm
the next thing will be automatic parking tickets sent to the registered owner

mechnificent, Oct 16, 5:07pm
Mongrols. Another example of spending the rate payers money on something that serves no purpose except making the council money. so they can generously pay "living wage" and executives pay.

morrisjvan, Oct 16, 11:50pm
they'll be running that rego number thru data bases to see if it has reg, wof or fines against it .

vtecintegra, Oct 17, 7:09am
I'm pretty sure Wellington is staying with the pay by space model which is actually less convenient than pay by plate.

The phone app is ugly but works okay, and as mentioned you can hit 'stop parking' if you leave the space early and get a (partial) refund.

kazbanz, Oct 17, 10:09am
You actually ask a REALLY good question there.
What IS the law regarding parking spaces in a carpark or roadside?
I would have thought that operators can't have it both ways.
EITHER you have leased that space for the period on the parking ticket -as such you can pass the "lease" onto someone else.
OR you should get a refund issued for the unused portion of the parking period you have paid for.

nice_lady, Oct 17, 10:25am
Both points don't matter to those who administrate the parking systems. They want to make money. If you pay for 3 hours and depart after 1 hour and someone else comes along and does similar - well they're making a LOT more money right ? Good luck trying to change that one !

mechnificent, Oct 17, 10:55am
Can you drive back in twenty minutes after leaving early and wave your ticket and say. "I've come back again. I want my space back"?

nice_lady, Oct 17, 10:59am
I guess, except I recall using one of these type of parks in Tauranga and I don't think I even got a ticket.

mechnificent, Dec 21, 3:11pm
It's a contract to hire the space. unless the contract says it's to be continual possession(like the foreshore), then you should be able to leave and return to finish your time I think. It would be interesting to see the legal case tested.

All Academic to me. I keep right away from cities. It does seem like a rip off though.