Who does TIG Aluminium welding in Auckland?

Page 1 / 3
trogedon, Jun 11, 12:20pm
I want my bike frame repaired. I went to a boat builder but they use MIG which will just blow holes in it. I emailed one co. but they're not doing new work.

4.11, Jun 11, 12:22pm
aluminium ? is it a push bike?

absolute_detail, Jun 11, 12:31pm
Where in auckland? Most sheetmetal engineering places will be able to, also the boat builders will tig weld as well as you cant mig everything on a boat

trogedon, Jun 11, 12:35pm
Thanks. I'll look up sheetmetal places. This place only MIG welded - made and repaired etc boats.

intrade, Jun 11, 12:35pm
ok a boat builder telling you they dont do tig. Would mean you bring the attitude in your voice that you dont want to pay nothing for the job= We are fully booked or we dont weld answer. To get rid of cheapskates, as any second wasted on them is lost productivity.
tig is mostly used for aluminium or stainless. mig is used on 0.8mm sheetmatel like all cars are usually welded with mig .

trogedon, Jun 11, 12:35pm
Hence why I put aluminium twice. "push" bike?!

trogedon, Jun 11, 12:37pm
I had a good attitude and so did they. He was helpful and looked at the cracks in my bike frame. " you dont want to pay nothing" - double negative means you do want to pay! "To get rid of cheapskates, as any second wasted on them is lost productivity." - he would've been happy to do it until he saw what was involved. "tig is mostly used for aluminium or stainless." - hence why I asked re tig for aluminium. Try reading the thread and then posting.

bill-robinson, Jun 11, 12:39pm
try a race car workshop.

intrade, Jun 11, 12:40pm
you can also see diecast mould repairer they do tig and also laser weld. expect a high cost 120$ upwards per h and 1h minimum most likely charge rates
alternatively, you buy all the gear and do it your self if you dont like the costs. is what it basically will be down to.

trogedon, Jun 11, 12:43pm
Fall out of the wrong side of the bed Mr Negativity?! I never put I have a problem with paying.

trogedon, Jun 11, 12:45pm
That's a good suggestion.

intrade, Jun 11, 12:48pm
You dont seem to understand what i said i said if they hear it in your voice . you also want a estimate or you could be on the other end charged 2000$ for 1h job because you want to pay what ever they want to charge. can go both ways.

redhead18, Jun 11, 1:20pm
Go see Bruce at brugar.

http://www.magwheelrepairs.co.nz/ http://www.magwheelrepairs.co.nz/index.php/about

About Us

WE STRIVE TO ENHANCE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION THROUGH OUTSTANDING SERVICE AND QUALITY.

This has been our Motto since the company was incorporated in 1981. Since that time we have received nothing but praise from our regular clients and our cash sale customers.

The company (Early Days)

Brugar engineering was established in Barrys Point road, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand just over 28 years ago. As with all new companies starting out, business was tough, originally starting with automotive component manufacture, then moving onto Race car preparation. This set us up as a very respected place to get work done, with many a notable success on the race track.

In order to expand and diversify we started to accept other avenues of engineering, but still keeping in touch with the racing fraternity.
The repairing of mag wheels stayed with us and today is still a Major asset to the company.

tygertung, Jun 11, 1:20pm
You can most likely weld it, but it was most likely solution heat treated and then artificially aged after welding during manufacture. You could weld it again, however if you don't heat treat it again, it might lose at least 50% of it's strength.

Another option which might work is it carefully examine the damaged area with a magnifying glass to find the ends of the cracks, centre punch them and then stop drill them. By stop drill, I mean drill a small hole to stop the crack from spreading any further.

Once you've done that, sand down the surface of the aluminium, then wrap carbon fibre or fibreglass tape around the affected area and then apply some epoxy resin.

Of course this is all assuming that the repair is due to a crack.

I could have a go at welding it for you, but I'm in Christchurch, and I haven't built a heat treating oven yet.

With heat treating also it is likely to warp after quenching, and then it will require cold working to realign everything. it may be possible to restrain in a fixture when heat treating. I need to do more research.

trogedon, Jun 11, 2:49pm

tygertung, Jun 11, 3:39pm
That is quite bad, I would recommend just finding a replacement frame.

tygertung, Jun 11, 3:40pm
How old is the bike please?

msigg, Jun 11, 3:53pm
That bike looks like scrap. I wouldn't weld that, other might, but you could put a metal boss/x2 around it and clamp tight. will look ugly but will work, especially if you machine the boss to the right shape. Depends how much stuffing around you want to do. And Intrade does make a good point, everyone wants something for nothing, not saying you do but that is the reality.

trogedon, Jun 11, 4:14pm
Age? It's probably 15 years of so. It's got a 5600 groupset on it. I got it off here for $151 thinking I could 1/ have the frame fixed 2/ get another frame 3/ sell the groupset and fork. Either would be fine.

itsafamilything, Jun 11, 4:22pm
You will find things go more smoothly and people will offer suggestions more readily if they see that you are being reasonable and not so easily offended. I have read what was written by intrade and it is just fine. Hopefully you do not find offence in what I have said.

tygertung, Jun 11, 4:28pm
Find another frame. It isn't worth repairing and if it was repaired, would not likely be durable. If it were welded it would require machining, and that is even without heat treating.

tweake, Jun 11, 4:52pm
i think that could be welded easy enough, even without post heat treating.
but that bike has either had a big impact or its under engineered. either way its at risk of cracking in a different spot later on.

headcat, Jun 11, 5:12pm
couple of hose clops would fix it.

headcat, Jun 11, 5:14pm
Definitely the hose clips.

trogedon, Jun 11, 5:15pm
Read what he wrote - some of it was not "reasonable" and I spoke to that. I'm not easily offended but didn't appreciate him typing that at me and answered him.