Auckland Harbour bridge restricted access

Page 4 / 4
lyl_guy, Sep 22, 1:22pm
Yes, and Nippon is another name for Japan. Japanese Clipon = Nippon Clipon. Some Japanese companies still use the name in their business branding. eg. Nippon Paint, Nippon Steel, Nippon Tea etc.

kazbanz, Sep 22, 1:48pm
2 trucks ALMOST the same time. The one that damaged the bridge structure flipped back onto its wheels and carried on.--as in the truck was still totally drivable and was able to carry on (how far I dunno) The damage was done by the shipping container on the deck of the truck.

sr2, Sep 22, 3:30pm
I couldn't agree with you more mate!

bill1451, Sep 22, 9:36pm
would it last that long ?

gyrogearloose, Sep 22, 10:24pm
My opinion carries as much weight as this steel coming from Taranaki, I was born in Taranaki when they held the Ranfurly Shield and so was this piece of steel.

The bridge is closed tonight so that the engineers can see why the centre span didn't collapse immediately when the rivets holding the beam were shorn off by the sliding truck.

And this piece of steel is triangulation, to prevent the centre span from collapsing imminently before the bridge is repaired

blueviking, Sep 23, 7:15am
Wouldn't need a bridge if all those people on the "wonderful" north shore found work in their own backyard.

marmar1, Sep 23, 10:13am
👍

alowishes, Sep 23, 11:30am
Well the experts seem to have organised a temporary repair - and before morning tea today!

serf407, Sep 23, 7:25pm
It would be better to spend the $8 billion or whatever the transport gurus want to spend tunneling the Waitemata, developing business hubs north of the bridge.
Question to North Shore people who do the crossing daily.
"Do you really enjoy your commute across the Harbour Bridge?"

2019 - Someone in the NZTA thought another road crossing for the Harbour was a waste of money.
https://www.greaterauckland.org.nz/2019/03/06/nzta-confirm-harbour-crossing-road-project-is-a-waste-of-money/

One might think banning trucks and/ or high sided vehicles from the bridge might be a necessary safety step.

intrade, Sep 23, 7:49pm
i was on the phone today to my mate and i said i am geniuenly surpised how quickly they started fixing the bridge. as i was thinking they have to have inquiery about the accident of the bridge for the next 3 years and then plan another 10 years as to who and how to fix the damage.

tweake, Sep 23, 9:04pm
in all fairness in some countries its a '2 minute job" because they have all the gear and personal at hand and the money to spend.
nz is so small we just don't have all that at our disposal.

richardmayes, Sep 24, 8:33am
I know at least one structural steel fabricator who uses point cloud systems to help them to accurately model
new steel for retrofit and alterations, and that's just in little old Wellington. I think he said the 3D scanner instrument was about $200k worth.

philltauranga, Sep 24, 8:48am
Also, some countries couldn't give a flying fuk about the safety of their workers, that speeds things up, what's a few dead or injured workers or public driving past,.

gazzat22, Sep 24, 9:35am
THe NDT(non destructive test)team from Air NZ tested the bridge on a regular basis and presumably still do.

lyl_guy, Nov 16, 5:49pm
That's a bit silly. Some travel across Auckland because that's where our line of work is. We can't all find a job in our neighbourhoods - you should know that, living in Auckland? I don't understand how you don't understand. or were you being sarcastic?