Saga continues. ASTRA COIL PACK

Page 1 / 2
saxman99, Aug 13, 8:07pm

franc123, Aug 13, 8:18pm
Who have you tried so far?

saxman99, Aug 13, 8:20pm
There’s a few types on eBay, have a look around.

poppy62, Aug 13, 9:04pm
There's a couple of Astras at Pick a part Christchurch. They are the same as the Holden Astras. Coil pack listed at $59.

poppy62, Aug 13, 10:04pm
It also might be the most reliable part of your car if you bought and fitted it. Should be able to do a resistance test with a Multi meter.

intrade, Aug 14, 9:45am
i looked i do have a full video on this exact topic post if you want me to give the link.

also from previous posts i did think you said you had replaced the coil pack once before?

franc123, Aug 14, 6:31pm
Why dont you just get the problem diagnosed properly? Those things are shockers for air flow meters failing it's easy to diagnose if you know what to look at on the live data stream from a decent scan tool. If you don't look into it soon you may melt the cat monolith. This may possibly have happened already, pull out the upper 02 sensor and look in the hole with a reasonably priced flashlight.

gph1961, Aug 14, 6:49pm
$300?

bumfacingdown, Aug 14, 6:58pm
300$

jmma, Aug 14, 7:03pm
That's the one lol

franc123, Aug 14, 8:20pm
$20 for the flashlight. The other $280 is for English lessons lol.

secca2, Aug 14, 8:22pm
is the ECU by the firewall under the bonnet on the left side?

franc123, Aug 14, 8:23pm
It wont help it, if its faulty it needs replacing. The engine management data needs to be monitored and analysed, if it doesn't have any codes doesnt necessarily mean its working right.

strobo, Aug 14, 8:45pm
My advice is just throw a new fuel pump +filter at it,check timing belt and fit new spark plugs.It's called giving it a proper service first before chasing ya tail around in circles!

intrade, Aug 15, 12:33pm
That car is actuarly ultra easy on more modern ones you have the problems but 10 folds.
i sunk 3500$ in to my 2003 astra with 160.000km and sold it for 2000 euro i still got the money as its about 3500$ now with the doller getting worth less and less by the day.
This brings us to the next problem, i got the full engine head rebuild kit from ebay germany for 225 euro . with a guy sending it over in 1kg parcels before the zomi apacolypse. i then rebuitl it one problem after the next.
The stuff i repaired is stuff that will fail on any modern car only there is 10 times more. and prices are not so cheap for a toyota that repair would set you back at least 20 grand +
But having said all that and the fact you cant get parts could be that you may want to pull the plug and scarap it especially if it got higher milage or rust signs. Due to the fact that shipping is now 5 fold the price.

intrade, Aug 15, 12:44pm
why would you do that when you can check the fuelpressure at the shrader valve in 3 minutes

intrade, Aug 15, 12:50pm
there is 2 lights the check engine and the spanner light . if neither are on then its a fault thats not seen like a blocked fuelfilter . fueltrims would show a problem with the fuel system. GM and vw are obd2 emission compliant since 1996 its not like toyota where you would not get fueltrim data with a cheap obd2 emission graphing tool.
You need oxigen sensor bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2
correction LT-ft and st-ft both should be close to 0 +- correction of max 6 . anything above 6 is abnormal.
i found a dirty aircleaner on a corsa having close to 6 once lol.

intrade, Aug 15, 12:55pm
if you dont have the check engine light on or the spanner light. The spanner light is usually on for service and comes on if the transmission has errors detected. not reving past 2200-Rpm is limp home and one of the 2 lights should be on if not. its probably blocked fuel-filter. as per above its called servicing your car to not have these problems to start with.

intrade, Aug 15, 1:01pm
check engine light and spanner light on either one of them with 2200rpm limmit and your ecu is bolted to the engine is 98% a wire has shaken off inside the ecu= new ecu or repair . i fitted a new ecu who also is in need of coding and sps programming if you get a new one of tradme like i did.
This is how it is repaired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_qzsEgzas

intrade, Aug 15, 1:08pm
i replaced camsensor ignition module 1 fuelinjector 16 valves 1 ecu changed atf sinthetic dexron radiator AC clutch all 16 valves waterpump and timingbelt 2 times . headgasket headbolts etc as valve was bent while geniuen Gm waterpump stalled and ripped the timing belt in 2 and 1 new ecu and 1 new key-housing and 4 new tyres.
crank sensor is to be fitted if i finally make it to taumarunui to the guy i sold the astra. as that was the only thing i did not change might as well do it also Totaling about 3500$ ah yea and a new starter battery when i sold it. coolant also new and oil and filter new . and 1 new oil pressure sensor it failed also and spilled the oil in front of repco tekuiti as i had sold it. But dont worry it took me 5 minute to change the oil pressure sensor. good luck with that on a toyota 1.5 vvti with senor deep burried under intake manifold.

strobo, Aug 15, 5:09pm
Intrade ; Only a professional level scan tool that has bidirectional capabilities can be used to test the fuel pump.A worn out crook pump wont throw a MIL on that year and model.Put ya scan tool away and do it the proper way and stop yabbing lot's of goop! That year it will have higher kms .Every pump Iv'e fitted has seen multiple problems gone.Do the job properly instead of digging into systems guessing what's at fault with a scan tool.That costs customers time & money.Do what needs doing before plugging game boy in.

strobo, Aug 15, 5:16pm
Cripes ,volume v pressure remember! Argh its flowing mmm must be ok! but I can give many reasons why its up to no good at the pump. Come on keep up with he program mate.Fuel pressure maybe fine on a test and nexminit it aint.

strobo, Aug 15, 5:37pm
Fuel pumps have even been known to last more than 200,000 kms . Experts say that after 100,000 ks, your fuel pump is more likely to fail if you are replacing a nearby part that plays a major role in the engine.There is typically no maintenance schedule for fuel pump replacement.But the aromatics in the fuel we use is the most cause of pump failure and early retirement. I come to the conclusion years ago that anew pump needs to be fitted around 100,000kms ,It's like a new heart .and costs bugger all buy and fit along with filter.Not saying this Op's fix but Id do stuff before condemning it to scrap . OP,s Astra woes .I had one about the same year not a bad car either.its is no different with other vehicles , replaced a few things and good for another hundred thou kms.Had replaced a crank sensor and cam sensor and re timed it with a new cambelt kit.The new owner is still driving it around chch and i sorted and sold that about 10 years ago.It had about 150,000 at the time well past belt replacement. All they need is service done on schedule before other problems develop! Also to add the dumb rrrs scan tool had me replace the cam & crank sense where it didn't need doing ,like i think $200 odd a piece at the time,$400 all up .thanks very much useless scan tool!

intrade, Aug 15, 6:05pm
strobo the scantool codes are not parts to replace. i replaced the cam sensor because its wiring insulation had bio degraded and bear copper was exposed. i only replaced what was faulty and proofed it all with the picoscope. parts are ultra cheap if you can get them, but right now we cant . i paid 180$ for the camsensor that i could have gotten for 30 euro from germany was there not a 500$ minimum shipping flatrate to ship stuff as of now. The crank sensor is the only thing i did not go and proof to be faulty as it was the only thing that was still old that and the mass airflow another item to potentially cause power loss if its faulty .
my astra is or was pritty quick running on 95Ron 125BHP
Also i like them they are easy to work on and diagnosing its all right there under engine bay to scope things.

intrade, Aug 15, 6:11pm
here is the immage i still have it from the 1.8 astra that sensor did not throw a code it was changed with the cambelt because of look what it looked like, At that time i did not own the car it was a job. When it broke down it was undrivable with missfire . i did swap it for my corolla with new wof. knowing that a 17 year old wont fix that astra and the corolla 93 or so with 4A-fe was not going to have any problems with fully mechanical 3 speed automatic trans etc.
http://iforce.co.nz/i/kubvk1qk.3dp.jpg