Auckland Car Yard on fire

stevo2, Jun 6, 7:58pm

laurelanne, Jun 6, 8:07pm
Yep, it is amazing what happens when all of that plastic in todays cars catches fire.

rjgmjs, Jun 6, 8:32pm
I bet the area stinks, melting rubber and plastics. Yum. larvely pong lol

kazbanz, Jun 6, 8:41pm
South auckland

franc123, Jun 6, 8:52pm
Damn, wrecking yard fires can get real nasty real quick and are hard to put out. Stay safe and stay away.

socram, Jun 6, 9:18pm
The foam within the upholstery cannot be easily extinguished.

That is why what was Vita foam, Patiki Rd, (later, Dunlop Living) had no sprinklers in the foam store - and no one was allowed to smoke within 50m.

Not such a problem with older cars with horsehair and even latex rubber.

Just wait until the day these yards are full of EVs.

apollo11, Jun 6, 9:23pm
By that stage perhaps the organic solvents will have been engineered out of the batteries. Then they will be similar to a fossil car with an empty gas tank.

gunhand, Jun 6, 9:25pm
Just wait until the day these yards are full of EVs.

socram (434 434 positive feedback) 9:18 pm, Sun 6 Jun #6

But wouldn't that be a very "Green" fire?

tygertung, Jun 7, 8:12am
Could there be fire retardants in the foam? I'm pretty sure they have that in aircraft upholstery.

bill-robinson, Jun 7, 8:43am
just explosive then? petrol fumes explode/burn,

apollo11, Jun 7, 9:14am
Well if the tank has petrol 'fumes' in it then I guess it ain't empty.

alowishes, Jun 7, 11:45am
The fuel gauge begs to differ with the needle on ‘E’!

intrade, Jun 7, 12:37pm
Years and years ago i posted about the dangers of petrol containers in cars exploding and there was some guy i did feel sorry for the guy He was claiming i was stupid and wrong because he was a expert and petrol dont explodes and all sorts of wrong claims. Diesel can explode also and saw-dust . That is based on that you need to know how you get a explosion. and engines dont run on explosions.
I have not seen the guy hope he is ok and learned something Selwa or some name he had on here.

bill-robinson, Jun 7, 12:39pm
what is the difference between an explosion and a controlled burn?

intrade, Jun 7, 12:47pm
Controlled burn is when it burns controlled in a given time under controlled conditions. To extract energy from the event. An explosion is an uncontrolled rapid uncontrollable event .

apollo11, Jun 7, 12:49pm
Or to quote your boyfriend with the rockets, a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.

apollo11, Jun 7, 12:50pm
Lol. 'Running on fumes'.

kazbanz, Jun 7, 3:26pm
probably the biggest wrecker in Auckland. A MASSIVE gravel pit with cars stacked 3 high in places. My guess-deliberately set.

trade4us2, Jun 7, 8:10pm
I doubt that there would be much petrol in each car in a car yard. It's more likely to be a lithium battery fire. But will they tell us?

tygertung, Jul 28, 7:49pm
How about a "Sudden catastrophic venting"?