Caravan Wiring

Page 1 / 2
mrsglaucoma11, Feb 9, 4:23am
Want to borrow my fathers 23foot caravan. Being a new UK one it has the extra four wires on the trailer plug. Is the wiring standard for these like a normal 7 pin plug i.e one for brakes,one for charging battery etc. I would rather get the plug fitted were I live before going to get the van as its a long way from an auto sparky.

intrade, Feb 9, 4:32am
i found wiring diagrams for trailers on the net once when i rewired my trailer. converter plugs also exist from round euro to flat nz i got one of these from supercheap auto

cammey, Feb 9, 5:05am
The euro vans allow for wiring to allow the fridge to operate on 12v while being towed, for house batteries to be charged etc. The wires for these are generally very large. The smaller diameter wires are the conventional lighting circuits. In general white will be earth and you can simply buzz out the others.

mrsglaucoma11, Feb 9, 6:01am
Caravan is 200ks each way from home and would have to bring it home without the electric brakes unless I get plug sorted beforehand.

tony9, Feb 9, 6:37am
Have you got an electric brake controller fitted to the tow vehicle?

mrsglaucoma11, Feb 9, 6:52am
Not sure how it works as fathers ute doesn't have one fitted but caravan has anti sway stuff that needs power from ute.

captaink, Feb 9, 7:28am
Electric brakes on a Euro?

monaro17, Feb 9, 7:28am
Yes becoming quite common

mrsglaucoma11, Feb 9, 7:35am
Like this
but longer and twin axle.

martin11, Feb 12, 10:40pm
It will be over the towing limits if you tow it without the brakes working and in the worst case if you have an accident due to not being able to stop your insurance may be declined .

captaink, Feb 13, 8:45am
If its an Alko chassis and 90% are then there is a difference between the ATC and the over run brakes. You can happily tow without the ATC operating, the actual braking is controlled separately by the over run system. The ATC whilst electronic, only operates in adverse conditions usually swaying, just like ESP on cars. If this is the case then it does not have 'Electric Brakes'.
If you want the ATC to work you simply need to have a live feed to the ATC in the trailer plug.
Does the van have two separate round connectors or a 13 pin rectangular ?

captaink, Feb 14, 3:31am
News to me, AS I understand it ,Alko don't make an electric braked caravan chassis in Europe. They do make them in Australia for our market
What brands have electric brakes?

monaro17, Feb 14, 4:09am
Perhaps I was mistaken. I stand corrected.

xs1100, Feb 15, 6:35am
BNT have a plug which will take the 13 pins at one end and converts to a 7 pin flat at the other end

xs1100, Feb 15, 6:38am
yeh not electric brake more stability control.also you need to actually check your towball because chances are you have the incorrect towball for towing a English caravan with the alko coupling.especially if your car has a nz made towbar

mrsglaucoma11, Feb 15, 6:53am
The caravan has a rectangle plug.Good point about the towball as it is a 50mm so will swap out. Pretty sure I have seen Alko written on the front. From memory it is 1800kg empty

xs1100, Feb 15, 7:10am
if you have a flat plug chances are its already been changed, the towball is not just a standard swap you need a special towball if it has the alko coupling on it

xs1100, Feb 15, 7:14am
AKS3004

The AL-KO AKS 3004 Stabiliser Coupling sets new standards in towing safety.

The AKS 3004 is easy to operate. First couple the trailer, a unique visual indicator
shows you when the coupling is engaged, lower the stabiliser handle, and spring
loaded friction pads press firmly against the towball. Their high damping force reducesAKS 3004
even small snaking movements ??

xs1100, Feb 15, 7:15am
have a look at their website and see if that's yr coupling

xs1100, Feb 15, 7:21am
1800kg dry is certainly getting up there don't forget 2000kg is the max unbraked and that's fully loaded

martin11, Feb 15, 7:41pm
There is no standard WOF type vehicle that will be able to tow 1800kg and comply with the speed/distance stopping requirement so if you have an accident while towing probably kiss your insurance goodbye .

captaink, Feb 16, 3:52am
If it is a European van it WILL be braked, even if it's 800kg it will have brakes. it's just that they will be over run and not electric eg.a Falcon with a 1800kg tandem van on will stop well within the required distance.

captaink, Feb 16, 4:26am
It will most likely be 1800kg MAW or MTPLM ie maximum loaded/allowable weight, your towing weight would then be mid 1500 depending on any gear, ( Euro's don't have a big payload.and all weights will be on a plate by the door).
In a perfect world you would also buy the towball kit as above but if it is a oncer you will be ok, provided. no part of the anti sway mechanism rubs on either the bumper or the towball tongue and that you are aware it is possible for the 'grip' of the anti sway coupling to undo a towball on a standard NZ setup. However they are expensive to buy if this is a one off.
If the tail shank is long enough on your towball put another nut on and then drill a whole and put a good sized cotter pin through so that the nut/nuts cannot come off, or grind a square face on the base of the ball where it sits on the tongue and then secure a piece of steel that prohibits the ball from turning, weld/bolt there are a number of ways.
Alternatively if this is a one off make sure your towball is on very tight, stop and check at say 100ks (have the right size socket and bar) for your own peace of mind.
I have rental Euro vans of a similar weight that have done 1000 of ks and haven't had a ball come loose yet but it certainly has happened to others where they have totalled their vans especially on roads like Picton / Christchurch with all the twisty bits.

mrsglaucoma11, Feb 16, 6:25am
Have emailed the dealership to find out what needs to be done. Thanks to all that have helped.

martin11, Feb 16, 6:32pm
Only if the trailer has brakes on it otherwise it will not be able to stop in the required distance from the set speed .