Re-registering a de-reg caravan

fordluva, Nov 13, 8:06pm
Whats involved! is it the same process as a trailer! (purchase plate and rego , then WOF) or is it more in depth, what else is looked at that wouldnt be on a standard trailer!

r15, Nov 13, 9:13pm
it is a standard trailer as far as a wof is concerned. pretty much has to be not falling apart and have all the lights working, wheels,bearings and tyres.if braked i think they have to work, but im not 100% on that

skin1235, Nov 13, 9:18pm
if the brake mechanism is on the drawbar it must work ( for the first warrant) after that it can be disconnected ie pipe removed from master or cables removed ( but if it is over a certain weight it must be braked anyway)
apart from that go buy a plate and run it down for a warrant - also needs an electrical warrant if it has electrics (240v) onboard

studio1, Nov 13, 9:32pm
It's 230 V for NZ.

skin1235, Nov 13, 9:40pm
lol, supposed to be but anywhere from 190 to 250 will still put you out the door

and a hint, if at all worried about electrics after having a fiddle, hook the car jumper cables to a decent tent peg driven in the ground then to the chassis of the caravan before plugging the power cable in - a blown fuseon the house board is much nicer than a fried person when you reach for the doorhandle of the caravan

fordluva, Nov 13, 9:53pm
Thanks for your replies, its only a small caravan and Ive rebuilt and re-registered a few trailers before so sounds pretty simple, it does need work on the power so a pro will be taking care of that, Im assuming the ewof needs to be obtained after registration!

skin1235, Nov 13, 10:03pm
yes, and before the road warrant - part of the caravan check is isthe ewof current

skin1235, Nov 13, 10:07pm
wee story, took van to the bay fruit picking one year
parked it in the orchard
they had rcd on their main board, the caravan chucked out their rcd's until we removed the link between the neg bar and the earth bar

then forgot to replace that same link when we brought the van home, luckily I always used the above suggestion re tent peg, things were humming for a while, pulled the plug and replaced the link, all good

elect70, Nov 14, 1:50am
Client of mine is pissed offhe has a little electric HW cylinder in his van for showerso cant put RCD on itto complyunless heremoves it& gets a gasone1 which he doesnt want to doRCDs are a cursesometimes .

matthew111, Nov 14, 4:40am
you will have to re register as new

gorgie14b, Nov 14, 4:44am
I did one once. Only other hassle in addition to stuff already mentioned is that the glass in windows needs to have safety standards marks on it - i.e. be approved safety glass and have the proper identifying marks vivible

franc123, Nov 14, 5:09am
OMG what an epic fail of a thread!