Workshop ignorance

Page 1 / 2
kiwibob60, Oct 12, 3:03pm
Man, having an ongoing battle with a workshop in Wellington, I have been shocked by their total lack of knowledge around Consumers Act, Fair Trading Act to mention but a couple. We are heading to court next month due to them exceeding my stated budget, doing unauthorized work, using my vehicle as their own personal run about. Oh and most of the above claims are proven in their own emails to me :-) And to think its owned and run by a kiwi.

intrade, Oct 12, 3:48pm
Yup morons galore and its getting worse in europe also.

kiwibob60, Oct 12, 3:52pm
Ever tried actually doing something about it? I love bashing my head against a brick wall :-( Just forwarded all their emails to Fairgo as requested. Here's hoping.

intrade, Oct 12, 4:12pm
Have you ever built a house . its no better there if you dont make sure everything is done right your self. Got a heater installed the guy said we just whack the bricks out. i said dont you have a cutting tool Yes but its not here.
I said no problem i gett it for you. i dont need my house f. kd up.

lookoutas, Oct 12, 5:44pm
We usually find the boot's on the other foot.

toenail, Oct 12, 5:50pm
why did you go with them in the first place? Not victim blaming here.

kiwibob60, Oct 13, 8:58am
Recommended by VTNZ if that can count for anything :-)

socram, Oct 13, 10:00am
Name and shame. At least you can warn others.

intrade, Oct 13, 10:36am
vtnz

the-lada-dude, Oct 13, 10:38am
Yes this, . and some more juicy details, so we can argue the toss

intrade, Oct 13, 10:38am
it will be the place in wellington on fair go.
You cant really say much if you take them to court as it can be used against you if you name them.

tgray, Oct 13, 11:04am
Fair Go love sticking the boot in to car dealers as they know it's a rating puller.

kazbanz, Oct 13, 4:57pm
Sorry but without the actual required repair work needed/done this really is just a rant.
Could you cover off what you booked your car into the workshop for.?
Just to explain from my POV
First of all lets say your car was booked in for new brake shoes.
The drums are ripped of and the drum is coated in brake fluid from leaking slave cylinders. NO mechanic is going to just replace the shoes they WILL replace the shoes and the cylinders as well as cleaning the drums etc. They will then take the car for a reasonable test drive.
OR if its an intermittent fault they will drive the car in order to replicate the issue.
Im NOT saying you are wrong. But without the nature of the repairs it really is imposible to comment/make advice

mechnificent, Oct 13, 5:25pm
They shouldn't do work without getting it authorized Kaz. especially if there is a budget stipulated.

mechnificent, Oct 13, 5:32pm
If it's something like overhaul a gearbox and they need to strip it before pricing, they still need to wait for authorization before doing the work if it's going to break the budget stipulated or if they haven't given a firm quote.

The customer might decide to scrap the car or find a second hand box.

marmar1, Oct 13, 7:23pm
Why is it a rating winner, is it because a lot of Kiwis feel hard done by?

kazbanz, Oct 14, 1:43pm
nahh sorry there are situations where it don't matter what the budget is.You just DON'T let the car go without the work done properly.
BUT again the OP has not come back with the nature of the work required so its all guesswork as to whats reasonable or whats not.

nice_lady, Oct 14, 2:09pm
Surely that's the owners call not yours ? You'd have to have work authorised or else they might be unhappy to say the least ?

mechnificent, Oct 14, 2:18pm
You don't Kaz. to spend money the customer doesn't have, or that's more than the car is worth, is unprofessional in the extreme. You can't keep their car either if you've exceeded your authority to repair. you have to let them take the car and hope they will pay the over-cost later.

mechnificent, Oct 14, 2:24pm
If you weren't able to give a fairly accurate ball-park figure before you begin, you shouldn't be in the business. And if things get out of control. sometimes you just have to put those gearbox parts in the boot and let them tow the car away after paying for the strip and inspection. Always though, after explaining before you even start what the possible scenarios could be.

The whole basis of professionalism is being able to explain and justify what you have done.

a.woodrow, Oct 14, 2:46pm
Hmm or it could have been a minor issue like it went in for a service and they replaced the stripped out sump plug because it was leaking and the customer isn't prepared to pay for it? Guess we will never know, bit light on details as per usual with these threads

mechnificent, Oct 14, 2:50pm
Yeah. what it was is irrelevant to the principle though.

Presumably most garages would just shout them the plug. Another aspect of professionalism. pragmatism.

stornello, Oct 14, 3:21pm
Rock and hard place stuff. If they don't want to repair, then you have to knowingly send the vehicle out with a fault, possibly dangerous. Anything goes wrong, and it comes back to the shop who knowingly sent out a faulty vehicle from their shop. Been there, done that.

mechnificent, Oct 14, 3:50pm
Yup. I've seen it too. We get a written disclaimer. It's really simple. Or, if you are really worried about the safety of other road users, you call the cops and they sticker the car.

easygoer, Oct 17, 9:06pm
When my car goes in for a warrant the mechanic checks the car and if they find a fault, no matter how minor, they ring and let me know before doing the work, if the repair is minor they most likely know they will get the go-ahead but it is a professional courtesy to get approval prior to performing additional work an hence additional cost over what I am expecting