Economy/reliability vs. comfort

icemans1, Oct 10, 1:26pm
what is more important to you when buying a car!

me, it's comfort. most jap cars are good as shopping baskets but are too uncomfortable for the long hauls - that's why i currently drive a commodore

kazbanz, Oct 10, 6:31pm
Being a bloke with a few years under his belt I drive cars according to specific purpose.
Around town A shopping cart is sensible. On a long drive I genuinely feel a mid sized vehicle is best because if I'm comfortable I cruise which means I'm less tired so less stops.
Incidently iceman you NEED to drive my Brevis some day. I suspect maybee itll change your mind about jap cars.

jason18, Oct 10, 6:54pm
Something with a bit of everything I guess. But I would happily give economy away for performance

morrisman1, Oct 10, 7:49pm
I find a lot of comfort comes from seat design so even if you have a small economical car, if it has good seats then you will be comfortable. The old morry minor is a good example of that, the car bounces around and makes lots of noise but the seats are comfortable which means longer trips are not so bad in it.

I prefer to get all three, comfort economy and reliability and there is no reason why you cannot if you pick your car well. Hell, even with the modern engines especially diesels you can even get performance in the same car!

johnf_456, Oct 10, 8:13pm
economy/reliability for me

kazbanz, Oct 10, 8:22pm
and you left out the most important bit (in some peoples eyes)
STYLE BABY--STYLE

jimjonesy, Oct 10, 8:53pm
Functionality.

vtecintegra, Oct 10, 10:48pm
You can get large, comfortable Japanese cars - they aren't all shopping baskets. I'd say my Nissan is every bit as comfortable as a Commodore at least in the front.

Then again I don't think a Commodore even gets a look in for comfort, for real comfort you want a big French car ideally with air suspension. The French do comfortable seats way better than anyone else.

phillip.weston, Oct 10, 11:08pm
style, performance, amount of features (for its class), safety and economy usually rank high in my list. Reliability not so much - what I mean is that I'm not going to pick something that is completely reliable but devoid of any style, features and performance etc.

mugenb20b, Oct 10, 11:31pm
Air conditioning.

r15, Oct 10, 11:32pm
everybody has different needs but there is no way i would buy an old daihatsu mira for the purpose of. well anything, but especially not long drives.

the often overlooked thing is that a larger, or heavier car is usually less affected by small bumps in the road which all other things being equal would make them more comfortable by default.

as an example of a japanese car, and one i own that is comfortable, semi styley, semi economical, well performing and comfortable for 4 is the 3 litre altezza gita (wagon)

it fortunately doesnt come with shit falling off it left right and center like a number of commodores suffer with

kiwicon, Oct 10, 11:56pm
I agree on functionality for work and running to the shops etc. I have a lil K11 Nissan to whip to work and back - great for in and out of traffic.

and a V8 commy for bigger trips. OK it isn't all that comfortable sitting on SSSL kings and 20s, but when I shift down and plant the pedal, my smile is as big as the gas bill

mm12345, Oct 11, 12:54am
I hired a Daihatsu Sirion for a week or so when in Akl.3 passengers plus luggage, to and from airport, trips to West coast beaches, Warkworth, a lot of miles around town.
Was 1.3l 5 spd, almost unbelievably economical.Was a budget rental, so the car had done 180,000km, yet everything felt tight, no rattles, so to me it seemed to be pretty well built, was fine to drive.Power was not bad around town, tolerable on the open road. About the most unexciting driver experience I can recall - but that's good as it didn't have any particular nasty foibles.
Anyway, unless perhaps if you live in the SI, there's no such thing as a long trip in NZ.
Not saying that wanting a large cruiser is wrong, just that many say they need it, when they actually just want it, and seem to feel some need to justify that to other people.

moosie_21, Oct 11, 2:18am
If I had a 8.1L SRT V10 Viper with 500hp and style, comfortability and economy wouldn't matter a squidge.

michael.benn, Oct 11, 2:21am
Fast / Fun to Drive - Reliable - Economical

Choose two :)

Oh wait, MX5. :P

richardmayes, Oct 11, 2:23am
Supercharged V6 Commodore!

Affordability, softness and style all rolled into one.

(Oh no, wait, I'm thinking of Cottonsofts, not Commodores. Never mind. )

stevexc, Oct 11, 2:31am
I don't give the slightest toss about economy.The only reason I don't drive my V8 Fairmont every day is I want to keep it in mint condition.I should really get a 6 cylinder model as a daily driver to replace my RAV4 which I hate (it's uncomfortable!).

icemans1, Oct 11, 3:10am
true, i don't think i would be interested in a car without air con.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 3:50am
I like all three plus it must be safe and cheap to buy and little depreciation. That's why I chose not to compromise.

johnf_456, Oct 11, 3:51am
Don't start on the whole Fiat salesman pitch. Haha

countrypete, Dec 27, 3:51pm
Aahha Corolla then.