Contacts for Rover parts!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 15, 7:30pm

rovercitroen, Jan 15, 8:07pm
Try Rodney Jaguar Rover spares in Warkworth.

mgmad, Jan 15, 8:26pm
or cashels in christcurch, both them and RJR bring in a few wrecks for spares. Big question for a 98 416 is - is it automatic! Auto and manual have completely different engines and hence will need different hoses.

rovercitroen, Jan 15, 8:29pm
If you can take the hose off and take it to Supacheap or Repco they MAY have a universal type replacement that will fit. Last time I was in Supacheap they had a big bin of coolant hoses all different shapes and sizes.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 15, 9:12pm
Don't worry. Kaz knows ALL about that now! (we had a little "discussion" about that a few months ago) LOL

thejazzpianoma, Jan 15, 9:14pm
If nothing turns up in NZ rimmerbros have them, I checked this morning when I posted the link. You are right about the universal ones, there is a hang of a bend in it so wouldn't go there if it was me.

Edit, still had the tab open! This is the one I think it would be, does it look like what you have!
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-PCH118170

thejazzpianoma, Jan 15, 11:15pm
Nah. I'm all scrapped out over Rovers LOL.
Glad you got the part in NZ, that's a great result be it a little surprising given the Honda engined one has a different top hose. (so hopefully its the right one when you get it)

I will keep my best stirring stick out though for our next encounter, have a great Sunday!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 15, 11:18pm
Either way you are a brave man peddling those puppy's. I don't think they are quite as bad as the reputation they have earned but I am still not a fan. and you know I am not inherently going to be biased against them!

Supposedly the cooling system on a K series is more reliable when there is access for proper servicing like in the 416 but its still no Multipla.

MGMad might have some good suggestions for you on that one.

BTW, this isn't "The Infamous" Rover still is it! Have you traded another!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 15, 11:41pm
Funny, I thought standing still was the key design objective for those. Good on you for giving someone a hand may it be the last one you see for a while!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 16, 12:33am
No, was just having a laugh at Rover. not you. this time!

mgmad, Jan 16, 1:21am
If you're worried about the crankcase pressurising there is a valve in the breather hose from the cam cover to the inlet manifold which may be sticky.

However don't think that is the problem. Those top hoses do tend to be the first thing to go pop when overheated. If the replacement hoses weren't clamped on properly or on a section of tube without a flaring I'm not terribly surprised they came off under pressure (so long as I'm reading your description correctly). It may be the wrong cap, or possibly the cap has died (sometimes they do), cheap and easy fix if it is. Also make sure it's bled properly, airlocks from poor/nonexistent bleeding are the biggest cause of overheating problems in the K series. Easy enough to do as well. However, if there is no mixing of oil and water, no obvious leaks and the temperatures not getting up then there isn't that much to worry about really. If it were any other car what would you do!

FYI Jazz, there are a few stats floating around (a few years old and I can't find them at the mo) giving the numbers of actual head gasket failures on K series compared to reported HGF, it was around about 10% (which certainly goes with my experience). Also interestingly reported cases of HGF on K series engined cars was below average (as a function of number produced) compared to other engines. There were a fair few million of the things built all up.

Personally I'd rather push an MG than drive a multipla ;)

socram, Jan 16, 3:47am
LOLI just love personal bias - for or against!

I admit I am biased too, but having never owned a real rogue car since my first car in 1967, I really don't care about reputations.

Reputations are always based on other people's views, experience is your own.I have always had little niggles with older, secondhandcars, but the modern cars have been just about bullet proof except for a couple of minor steering rack hiccups over the last 15 years.

rovercitroen, Jan 16, 4:29am
The last REAL Rovers were made in about 1986, with the best being well before that.

unideck, Jan 16, 4:46am
The new RR looks real nice, seems them Indians are onto it. Haha, I have a TD5 and its a blast off & on road :) This is my 10th Discovery and never let it be said the Jappa 4x4 have sorted the comfort side of the vehicles, 10,000,000,000 miles behind.

Just love people giving the 5c worth and never actually owned one let alone ever driven one, +10 Socram ;)

mgmad, Jan 16, 8:38am
Hmmm. presuming they were new hoses fitted and not stretched etc, could well be a sticky cap, might pay to try another one perhaps.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 9:01am
Out of curiosity. did the hose from Strong for Honda turn out to be for the Honda engined one!

(I have a little smug dance all saved up in case I was right. can I do it. can I!)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 7:15pm
Awww that's no fun at all!
Fair enough on your decision though. Its funny how we now live in a world where it can be more convenient to order from half way around the globe then 30 minutes up the road.

Best of luck with it all.

kazbanz, Jan 17, 10:46pm
No its not "convenient"at all dag namb it. But noone in NZ could supply me one

richardmayes, Jan 17, 10:52pm
The only downside with ordering just one part from Rimmers, is, They are so fastidious with their wrapping and packaging that when your part arrives it is in a parcel 5x the size of the part, meaning that your 12 quid part comes with about 30 quid's worth of postage.

(Fair enough if you are ordering something breakable like a computer or a badge. But they have a habit of shipping nigh-indestructible items like suspension bushes and head studs this way too. Perhaps they haven't heard of small bubble-wrapped courier envelopes in England!)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 7:11am
Accidentally touching the postage stamps.