Looking at buying a Harley Davidson for touring .

Page 2 / 3
iginoi, Jan 20, 7:18am
Mate, that's not the point. There are faster, more exotic, more reliable brands out there sure, but they don't have anywhere as much attitude, history and pure pulling power as a Hog. Mine attracts all types, young or old, men and women wherever it's parked

gunhand, Jan 20, 7:23am
Bit of a worry if it takes a harley to achieve that. I had a Hayabusa that had the same effect (as they do) but that wasnt the reason I had it.

iginoi, Jan 20, 7:23am
Nice bike, just check on servicing, number of riders etc. Also 27 1/2 k's on a bike sounds a bit high-ish. And don't ride it like the d1ckhead on crash course

iginoi, Jan 20, 7:26am
Lol exactly, but that's not the point of this thread

richynuts, Jan 20, 7:51am
you have just contradicted yourself with this post and your previous

xs1100, Jan 20, 8:23am
all the guy has asked for is a opinion on a particular brand of bike and any ideas as which model and all hes had is anything BUT.he wants a harley thats it end of and has $25k to spend and wants to tour.on a harley

gunhand, Jan 20, 8:41am
Well unless there are a few riders who have owned what he is looking for the best beat for him is to go ride a few and make up his own mind. what suits one will not suit another. Its his 25k and he will spend it on what he sees fit.
I dont think anyone should decide on anyones purchase in the end. If they do he needs to have a think as to why hes buying it, to please himself or others.

richynuts, Jan 20, 9:28am
Not true the other brands have improved harley has gone backwards won't be long before harley is completely made in china.

roberto9, Jan 20, 10:22am
if Harleys are such crap, why then have the Japs spent so much time, effort, and money attempting to imitate them.
In my experience the majority of people who bag them have never ridden one, and only express a second hand opinion from their cousin's brother'suncle's sister's boyfriend, who read a report written 30 years ago.

my choice is a heritage soft-tail classic, I think it just looks cool.

However you need to decide what YOU think is cool and what suits your purpose.

i-n-horz, Jan 20, 11:09am
OP.had many bikes of different styles,sizes,makes and models over the years and by far my 05 Roadking has proved to be the best for distance touring.
Of course there are bikes that are faster more agile brilliant stopping power etc etc but as a complete package with just the right amount of what's needed to make a good bike for the job the Roadking is it for me.oh! and with it comes some of the most famous and still in production motorcycling history.

cynbad, Jan 20, 11:46am
Aprilia rsv-r's are only good for mooring boats and dont handle! okey dokey

solarboy, Jan 20, 12:11pm
I suspect jc is getting ( once again lol ) exactly what he aimed for with this thread - the Harley haters dribbling on predictably :-). You've had at least a couple of Harleys jc and done a tour in the States ( just last year ! ) so you'd have as much of an idea as anyone what you want next in a Harley. The visit to Wellington Motorcycles suggestion is a good one though .I haven't had a road motorcycle for 10 years or so now but went in there myself a few months ago and the "kid in a candystore" bit was right on the mark. Motorcycle Nirvarna ! Very pleasant no pressure salesman quite happy to help me browse around, sit on a few bikes and check prices, well worththe visit .

stevo2, Jan 20, 5:23pm
You must remember that not every one wants to ride an "Exciting" bike. Some just want to cruise to the beach or pub on a Sunday if the weather is good.
Its just the same as not all people want an exciting car or we would all drive a Porsche or similar. Just look at all the Mustangs and other American cars that people buy as a hobby car. They handle like a bucket of snot. Fun! yes but exciting! no.
JCWholesale still hasnt told us what he wants to use his Harley for so he wont get any serious replies until he does.
Cheers Stevo

trogedon, Jan 20, 7:04pm
You think about wearing other people's dirty undies.eeeew

rod525, Jan 20, 7:42pm
You've got no idea, have you.

sifty, Jan 20, 7:56pm
I've got no idea why people pay over 20g for a vintage bike made in the 21st century, but good luck to 'em.

cynbad, Jan 20, 8:18pm
was waiting for that trogedon, you lycra wearing, ex gpx riding git!

trogedon, Jan 20, 10:19pm
So who's used undies to you prefer to dream about - men's or little boys!

cynbad, Jan 20, 10:30pm
hmm who mentioned men or boys! got something you want to share! you live near a school right!

cynbad, Jan 21, 4:04am
sorry was prob a bit harsh there.i have an aprilia rsv-r for de-stressing and a wideglide for distance.i not a fan of the turbine like smoothness of inline or v-4's.i like the vibes, and the numb feet, hands etc that come with it.by boring i meant smooth boring.

greenwing, Jan 21, 4:59am
Firstly get the a 1584cc model, made from 2007 onwards, 2006 was the first of the lastest generation Harleys, but was only 1450 and some 2006 models suffer from a design fault with the driveside main bearing which was rectified 2007 onwards. The latest generation motors are 6 speed and also a lot smoother than pre 2006 Harleys (I've ridden both). My choice would be a Lowrider which is basically a jazzed up Superglide and a great looking bike - put on the supercomfortable Sundowner seat, saddlebags, the Harley accessory carrier and forward controls for comfort and you have a really nice tourer. Being a Lowrider and if fitted with forward controls you can occasionly grind the heel of your boots on sharp corners (I've never grounded the pegs), replacing the rear shocks with Superglide ones will give you a little more ground clearance if you're into sporty riding, but the bikes not really for that. Final year that Harley made Lowriders was 2009, but you'd get a real good 2007-9 model for well under 25grand so you'd have plenty money left for the touring bits and pieces and forward controls.

cynbad, Jan 21, 5:22am
my 06, 1450 wideglide has the cruise drive.i think the 06 dynas were the first of the 6 speeds.i had the bearing you mentioned replaced at 9000 miles.apart from that no probs.

richynuts, Jan 21, 6:00am
Max Biaggi has prooved that theory wrong, he can only win a world title on a aprilia (though once on a honda) and he is definitely not the best rider out there.

cynbad, Jan 21, 6:23am
do you have, or used to own an FZ!

richynuts, Jan 21, 6:33am
Got a '85 750 and '87 750both low kms and a '04 fz6