Morris Minor 1000 1960 parts!

c185, Jan 27, 12:55am
Hi
I am looking at buying a Morris Minor which has done 33,900km for a run about, anyone had one whats your thoughts,
I am a little worried about getting parts etc
Thank you

hydraline, Jan 27, 12:58am
Sounds like you dont know a lot about cars in which case the Morris is too good a car for you and you should just get a japper

c185, Jan 27, 1:00am
Did you get outa bed on the wrong side today!
After someones thoughts other then yours thanks!

littlebob7, Jan 27, 1:04am
Speedo will be in miles& are you sureit hasn't done 100,000 or 200,000more than that !Checkbodymost carefully for "RUST "door sills , chassisrails, rear spring hanger pointsboot flooretc The engines are realsweet& nicebut the suspension& brakesare hard going

doug207, Jan 27, 1:04am
Great little cars, beware of rust though. I find them extremely comfy t6o drive, but, I am odd. Some tended to strip first gear, but, gear box's are cheap. Parts are bloody easy to find and cheap

c185, Jan 27, 1:09am
Thank you very much for your comments, I will investigate the car more.

morrisman1, Jan 27, 1:30am
parts are easy to get, they require a bit more TLC than your average runabout but what classic doesnt. Each morry will be different in character and how it drives. Ive never heard of one stripping first gear but many get quite noisy, it is a straight-cut so will always have some noise in 1st.

the 950cc engine is smoother than the 1098 but has less power. saloon models fitted with the 1098cc engine originally have a better gearbox and taller rear diff which makes for nicer cruising but these are very rare - late 1962 and 1963 as they stopped importing cars after that. Avoid the 803cc engine - not the best in any way. The 918cc sidevalve models are best left to collectors - they arent really suitable for a runaround

I used my 63 car as a runaround for 4 years and it was great. Could keep up with traffic no issues - it was one of the rare factory 1098cc saloons. GPS certified 121km/h top speed and 0-100 in a bugatti rivalling 22 seconds!

c185, Jan 27, 1:47am
Thank you for that!
Its engin is 948. I see you are in Invers we are in Manapouri the car I am looking at is in Inver's.
I will be driving from Manapouri to Te Anau 6 plus times a week with children in tow.
Have you ever seen the old collection of Morris Minors at the moter camp here in Manapouri!

socram, Jan 27, 5:25am
Although #2 was a bit blunt, the point was well intentioned. They need more maintenance than a modern Jappa and whilst that may not be a problem for someone with a grease gun and a set of feeler gauges, they are not so good for someone with no mechanical knowledge or no access to someone with basic mechanical ability.

Servicing is every 3000 miles and whilst they are lovely little cars, I am not sure from your posts that it would be ideal for you.

morrisman1, Jan 27, 5:28am
Hi

I think you should consider getting rear seatbelts installed if you regularly use the rear seats.

I havn't seen the morry collection up there, Im flying in tomorrow so might have a look if I have time. I've heard about the collection from many people but never witnessed it yet.

oscar220, Jan 27, 7:40am
Hi
I just bought a 1958 morris minor recently and am currently waiting on some parts I ordered over the internet from UK. Looks like you can get just about anything you want from what I have seen online. Some sites i visited are www.morris-minor.org orwww.morrisminorspares.co.uk and www.jhmorrisminor.co.uk.
Just google morris minors for lots more.
Noticed that the prices being charged in NZ and Oz are pretty expensive by comparison. Postage from Uk is expensive but hopefully if all goes well worth it.
Its all a new learning curve for me so hopefully things work out, bought $300 worth of parts postage $150 but reckon I would have paid close to a grand off someone in NZ who advertises on trademe.
Cheers

clark20, Jan 27, 9:51am
I got mine to E on the fuel gauge, we brought a 2nd hand motor and the head (unknown to us at the time) was ported and polished with high compression, I could smoke the rear tyres!

plover, Jan 27, 9:54am
Morrisman makes a good point regarding rear seatbelts but get a quote first. Today I got a quote for 2 rear seatbelts for my 1959 Austin Lancer which is based on a morris minor floor pan & it was over $500.00 + GST. $300.00 was for the certification. I want them for my grand children so they can go on car runs. Good luck with your buy.

smac, Jan 27, 7:18pm
Have used these guys in the past for mini stuff: http://www.dsnclassics.co.uk/

Very good stock and service. The comment about about freight is correct, Royal mail completely bones the UK public, however even with that in mind, and the fact you won't pay VAT, it's still cheaper than trying to source stuff locally.

lovemore_mbigi, Jan 27, 7:50pm
They are superb cars for everyday use - provided you are DIY'er and can keep up the maintenance.They're not a maintenance-free "oil change every two years" Honda.

They were designed in era when technology was expensive and labour and materials were cheap - so running down to the garage for a 10 bob lubrication service every 1000 miles [1600ks] was perfectly normal.

woody1946, Jan 27, 9:22pm
I think you may find, if you dig deep into the law on seatbelts that if they are to be used as a child restraint,(i.e car seat), you don't have to certify. No doubt someone will confirm that

Edit , found this http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/choosing/features-protect/safetybelts/child.html

Requirements for child restraints

Children aged under five must be secured in an approved child restraint when travelling in cars or vans.

* Children aged between five and seven must use a child restraint if available. If not available, they must use a safety belt. If a safety belt is not available they must travel in the back seat.
* Children aged between eight and 14 must use safety belts if available. If not available, they must travel in the back seat.
* People aged over 14 must wear safety belts where they are available.

smac, Jan 27, 10:05pm
Yep, so for kids under 5 you need the belts, and for the belts you need certification.

Personally I wouldn't put anyone not old enough to make the decision for themselves in the back without belts/car seat. Especially in an older car with crap impact protection.

c185, Jan 27, 11:27pm
Thanks guys, she has cert belts in the back. Am just looking at things from all sides before I make the final decision.
Have learnt a lot over the last few days.
Again thank you I have read all that has been said and taken notes!

jrlaw, Feb 11, 8:40pm
Join the Morris Minor club, they I am sure are keen to keep these great old cars going.As some one said rust is the cancer of older English cars, have close look before you buy. Have fun if you buy.