Not motoring but you guys might know.

jason18, Dec 25, 9:50pm
Hey guys, I dont want to have to pay another $25 a month for sky tv in our bedroom. What can I buy to run from my sky box to my other tv! I was told it was simple altho you have to choose what channel you want in the lounge but thats ok. Thanks for any help :)

r15, Dec 25, 10:04pm
most basic way is to run a piece of coax cable from your sky machine to your bedroom tv, using the rf out connector on the sky and the rf in on the tv, then tune it in like you would with a typical tv channel on that tv

jason18, Dec 25, 10:34pm
Thanks mate, Will do.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 25, 10:47pm
Jason, given you are likely going to have to buy some RG6 cable etc you might not have to spend much more to get a video sender. That way you can use your remote control as well.

Something like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-4g-wireless-av-sender-ir-remote-extender-silver-64011

Just bear in mind that if the room is miles away they may not be the greatest.

Also, if I were going to the trouble of running a cable and it was going to be a bit of a job I would err away from the single RG6 RF idea and run a Couple of Cat 5's with a suitable Balun so you can still use it if Sky ditches RF or you change to a non-rf T.V. You could still run your RG6 if you wanted as well.

Hope that helps!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 25, 10:52pm

thejazzpianoma, Dec 25, 10:53pm
The cool thing about using CAT5 is you can upgrade to HDMI later just by swapping out the wall plates and keep the same cable.

superdave0_13, Dec 25, 10:56pm
Best way is to upgrade through sky. Pay the 25 bucks and you can cancel after a month as there is no minimum term. They will take back the second decoder but all cabling will be left in place.This is the cheapest way and least hassle.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 25, 11:22pm
Didn't know that!
Very sneaky, what cables do they run! Is there something left you can run a IR sender down!

EDIT:
Hang on a tick, have you actually done this!
I thought the sky extra room deal was just another decoder. in which case they would be running just an RG6 to the sat feed and possibly a phone line.

In some situations you may be able to re-use the RG6 (depends where it joins up to the sat feed) likewise possibly the CAT5 for the phone BUT it would be very much a maybe.

Unless of course for some bizarre reason they cable the second decoder back to the main one. and I don't get why they would do that. No Sky expert though.

jasongroves, Dec 25, 11:28pm
Yeah.all the cabling is to suit.and is run to, a satellite though.
Only useful for a satellite Freeview decoder.
Easiest and cheapest way by far (in my case/s) has been to run a set of RCA cables.
Piece of cake, match the colours on the plugs and press the AV button on your remote.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 25, 11:30pm
Easier still though to run the CAT5 with balun and then you have the IR sending and upgrade to HDMI option as well. Should not really work out much dearer either if you do it right. This is easier because you only need to run one very inexpensive cable between the baluns.

Not knocking your idea its just having the ability to change channel is a bigadvantage, especially when the extra cost is negligible.

jasongroves, Dec 25, 11:36pm
Never tried it.
My total cost was $4:)
Because of the location of bedroom/lounge.a correctly placed mirror on the lounge wall, allows me to change channel. Lol.
I did have multi-room but was only really used when my son was here for Disney etc, so I bought a cheap Freeview decoder and hooked that to the Sky satellite and have the RCAs running for when they are needed.

jasongroves, Dec 25, 11:37pm
Oh, my bedroom TV is CRT so I don't currently need the HDMI option.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 25, 11:57pm
In a situation like that I can't argue!
Nothing wrong with a strategically placed mirror if it can all be done for $4.
No panic about HDMI for you either because as and when you do need it its going to be a piece of cake to run. that and you can probably just run a straight HDMI cable without need for Baluns.

You actually raise a good point, it really depends on the location of the bedroom and design of the house.

I have seen many a house where the owner has gone to a whole lot of trouble to run a single barely suitable cable and then got caught out and had to do the job again later.

OP has got plenty of options now anyhow!

jason18, Dec 26, 3:46am
Hhaha thanks guys. Im confused already!

jason18, Dec 26, 3:47am
So if I get the AV wireless sender do I still have to run cables or can I just plug those in and go!

jason18, Dec 26, 3:51am
So to do this Balun with Cat5 what do I buy! lol The cable will be about 5metres in length

bitsy_boffin, Dec 26, 4:05am
For 5 meters total distance - I'd just get a long ready made cable and a splitter, look at the cable from your decoder to your TV, go to dick smith or jaycar or somewhere, get a long cable like that, and a short cable like that, and a doodad to do 2 into 1, drill a strategic hole in the wall, feed long cable from bedroom to one output of the doodad, put existing cable from lounge TV into the other output of the doodad, and put the short cable from the decoder to the input of the doodad.5 minutes work.

But that's cause I'm a lazy bugger.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 26, 5:21am
You just plug in and go.

So long as you have spare A/V outs on your sky box, most have a recorder output that you can use. You might have to get a scart plug adaptor or some female/female RCA adaptors which you just grab from Dick Smith or wherever.

Just bear in mind I have not tried those particular sender units but usually if the distance isn't too far they go O.K.

You can buy these units in NZ from Jaycar etc but will be a bit dearer. Deal Extreme ship for free to NZ but prices are in USD so the price will be about 20% more than whats shown.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 26, 5:24am
O.K the Balun system is ultimately more professional, more reliable and gives you options to upgrade later.

To install that you need the Balun set (2 faceplates) like in the link and then just some CAT5 or CAT6 which is just computer network cable. This is cheap to buy by the meter, again at either Jaycar, Dick Smith etc.

Just note if you buy a U.S Balun you may need to swap out the 110v power adaptor for a 240V one, its a 12V adatptor so you may even have one at home already.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 26, 5:26am
If you are not using the recorder out there is no need for the 2 into 1 splitter.
A 5 meter cable from Dick Smith is going to be pretty horrible quality and cost a bit. You are going to need a sizable hole in the wall to get the plugs through.

Overall its only going to save $30 or so, it will look ugly, not save much time and you can't change channels.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 26, 5:30am
It would seem that my link to the Balun on ebay was deleted by TM. Cheers TM, don't you think I would have linked to one on here if they existed!

To see a Balun like I suggested go to ebay and copy and paste in " Audio and Video PLUS IR Repeater over Cat 5 Wall Plate "

You will get the idea, probably more available on the net etc too.

superdave0_13, Dec 26, 6:11pm
Remember to weigh the hassle and cost up against the $160 that sky charge to do it for you.

P.S I got sick of not being able to change the channel pretty quickly when I had it set up that way. If you do go for the extra decoder at $25 you can cancell and just use a freeview box. you won't have sky but you still win.

superdave0_13, Dec 26, 8:08pm
Yes but look at the cost