Freeview Help (yes I know it's not motoring!)

Page 1 / 2
sr2, Dec 27, 7:05am
Hi guys, I??

intrade, Dec 27, 7:08am
there is no splitter on satelite there is a lnb on the dish and yes you can use the quaxial cable from the lnb to the freview desctop box.

bjdw, Dec 27, 7:09am
You probably have worn gudgeon pins.

bjdw, Dec 27, 7:10am
Have you been drinking!

intrade, Dec 27, 7:13am
no i actuarly am whatching freeview on my linux pc that is using the quaxial cable.

intrade, Dec 27, 7:14am
unless are we talkint teresterial , because i talk satelite dish.

bjdw, Dec 27, 7:16am
Sorry, I'm not that pissed yet.Give me an hour or two to catch up.

intrade, Dec 27, 7:18am
he said it was not motoring. you smurf

bjdw, Dec 27, 7:26am
Whoa, I'm way to pissed to read that.Shoulda tried me an hour or two ago.

tmenz, Dec 27, 7:28am
Yes you can, as long as it's reasonable coax - it may be RG59 (the thin stuff) or older RG6 - It needs to be in good condition and needs to be terminated with F type connectors in place of the Belling/Lee connectors that are probably already on it.

sr2, Dec 27, 7:41am
Thanks for the response guys. I??

thejazzpianoma, Dec 27, 8:20am
Its worth pulling a fresh RG6 through if its not going to be a nightmare job. You should be able to use the old cable as a draw cord.

There is nothing wrong with running a splitter in the cable but it must be a suitable one for satellite. (something like ten bucks at jaycar).

sr2, Dec 27, 8:22am
How could you tell, I??

sr2, Dec 27, 8:23am
Thanks intrade, the lnb is already wired with RG6 to a one in, two out splitter box at the main TV, I just need to run the satellite ariel from there to the freeview box in the bedroom.

sr2, Dec 27, 8:23am
And all this time I thought you were a cheap drunk like me. If we were talking ???teresterial??? here I would recommend wearing a tin foil lined colander on your head, just in case.

sr2, Dec 27, 8:24am
Looks like older RG6 (single shield!), the run is only 20 meters or so I??

thejazzpianoma, Dec 27, 8:24am
Oh and its fine to fit the splitter at any point, it dosn't need to be up at the dish. You will see on the splitter one of the connections will say "Power Pass" if there are spare connections you need to make sure that one of your freeview box's is attached to that pin and that freeview box is always on. (otherwise your other box won't work when its off).

What thats all about is the LNB gets power fed up to it from your sat box.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 27, 8:30am
Yes, most are good. There are lots around though so I probably havn't tried the same as you will get.

If its a punch down situation for the CAT 6 cable do yourself a favour and buy a proper punch down tool. If you need a link to see what a proper one looks like let me know. (you want one that actuates and snips the cable as it goes down)

20 meters is still a good distance, personally I wouldn't be pissing around with it, especially as you are only going to waste crimps etc trying it out.

sr2, Dec 27, 8:30am
Thanks jazz, that??

thejazzpianoma, Dec 27, 8:33am
I thought you said you had an existing splitter! Is that one in the wrong place!

Not so keen on running two splitters in the system.

Whats the go, do you have a cavity ceiling! Can you get a cable to where the current splitter is located!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 27, 8:37am
In terms of buying a splitter you just rock in to jaycar etc and ask for a satellite splitter. Just a Hills or whatever they have is fine, there is nothing special about them. If you do fit two you want to fit the power pass pins into the main line between the dish and your mysky setup.

sr2, Dec 27, 8:48am
Cheers mate, I have a lot to do with structured cabling systems in my day job; although I normally sub such work out I??

thejazzpianoma, Dec 27, 8:53am
Sounds Mean!

Thats exactly how I wired all the houses I dealt with when I was doing that sort of thing.

When you do the cupboard, I strongly suggest you put a false back wall in with an access door/hatch. It makes it so much neater as you just poke through what cables you want to your amps, voip gear etc.

Thats brilliant that you have the tools etc, makes the job a hang of a lot easier. Have fun!

BTW, doing the mega reno on our new "project" house. The good news is I have more garage space than we have house. and the house is not that small! Tis a big job though, especially at my pace.

sr2, Dec 27, 9:01am
I was intending on using my existing VHF splitter, looks like I??

sr2, Dec 27, 9:15am
I have a good mate who when renovating his house managed to include a walk in IT cupboard under the stairs that lead to the upstairs bedroom. As well as housing a patch panel, security and access systems, CCTV system, demark for phone and data, and PABX there is a wall opening into the living room that has all the video and audio gear mounted in it. Makes me jealous every time I see it. The new house sounds like a great project, the speed never matters as long as you get the job done.