Convertible Goods and Bads

Page 2 / 3
trogedon, Dec 30, 5:38pm
Good when moving on a good day, not good when stopped in traffic - fumes etc and can feel exposed as people walk by (when talking to passenger). I've got 3 MGBs and while they're good cars when they're gone I won't be getting another topless car.

angelab, Dec 30, 6:50pm
Great cars for someone else to own and me to admire I reckon.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 30, 7:54pm
I have had several including an MGB as a daily driver. The best classic convertible in terms of a decent easy to use soft top thats effective at speed and in the rain would be the Alfa Romeo. (In my opinion at least)

Don't underestimate the value of a top that you can just spin around and flip up with one hand from the drivers seat (in a two seater) its a definite advantage.

We have a 75 Alfa Spider at the moment and love it. The setup and tops of the 60's round tail spider is basically the same and just as good.

It would be helpful to know exactly what car you are considering as some are a lot better than others. The Spider for example has enough rake on the screen and you are close enough to it that you can leave the top down even if you get a bit of rain. so long as you are clipping along and don't need to stop for intersections etc.

The MGB as a daily driver was quite O.K, and I have had my fair share of torrential downpoors etc in that and the Spider. The biggest problem I find is not the soft top in the rain but the fogging up of the windows and rear window visibility especially. I can see the value in the later model cars having heated rear glass screens in the tops and/or air conditioning.

Hope that helps, you can't beat a convertible for the fun factor, it puts you "in" the scenery and transforms a fun drive in the country no end. Don't underestimate the fun of hearing a great classic motor on song properly through the twisty stuff and the smell of the trees etc. You just don't get that with a tin top cage.

bob1088, Dec 30, 9:26pm
Get a hard top convertible - best of both worlds with Merc SLK or similar - great fun cars.

socram, Dec 30, 9:37pm
I have been put off buying an MGF as the location of the hood mechanism bolts sits dangerously close to my head and being T-boned would not be much fun. Would use a hard top though.
Wife had a Rover 214 Cabriolet for several years.Fabulous car as the roll over bar meant that it was brilliant for getting timber home without the need of a trailer!Timber yard called it the City Ute!
Wife suffers from skin cancers quite badly so we rarely had the roof down during the day time.Had the rear window replaced but rear visibility is still compromised.

Agree, beware sheep trucks or smelly diesels and inconsiderate smokers tossing out their fag ends. Intruder alarm is essential but a trapped fly can set it off!

elect70, Dec 30, 10:10pm
Dont wear rugwhile driving convertible.

geedubu, Dec 30, 10:34pm
Mercedes slk is a good choice if you are bit uncertain about canvas tops & rain etc.They are getting quite cheap (relatively speaking) too.I picked up a BMW Z3 a while back & it has been great . 6cylinder widebody version - much better than the base 4cyl all round.Power top so no struggles with the top.Main disadvantage is - obviously - only one passenger & can't carry any bulky items.But a convertible is the only choice for a second car!

i-n-horz, Dec 30, 10:39pm
Like a motorcycle you take the good with the bad.if you think get'n a little wet is bad!.strangely enough some of my most memorable rides have been in the sh!tiest weather to the point where almost nil visibility forced a pull-over.had a Spitfire also, was the most fun in the rain on a vacant road.whip the whip ;)

geedubu, Dec 30, 10:43pm
Thinking right outside the square here -- but I reckon this is the best value convertible on trademe at the moment!Listing 433632867

pugmyre, Dec 30, 11:30pm
I have a Honda CRX Del Sol Convertible (Hard-Top).Best possible convertible ever.You don't get wind blown like you do with MX5's etc.also being Manual Hard Top you don't need to worry about the electrics giving trouble.I also have plenty of boot space which is a major plus.This is the second of these that I have owned.Lots of fun and cheap to run too.

johnf_456, Dec 30, 11:32pm
Tell me about it, especially in auckland with our buses up here.

kcf, Dec 30, 11:36pm
I've had three MX5's (all the early shape), the bads were that the rear vision with the roof up is poor (b-pillar area blind spots, and plastic rear window).I found them really tiring to do highway driving in with the roof down, as it was quite buffety/blustery.

Two out of three had hardtops, so that was a practical solution (better rear vision as much bigger rear window).I'm a bit tall chap, so removing and refitting the hard top solo was a walk in the park.But it kind of ruined the fun aspect of having a convertible, as suddenly you then didn't have a convertible.

foxdonut, Dec 30, 11:40pm
The Del Sol isn't a convertible.

Targa / Aerotop / etc are a different discussion altogether - Convertibles:

Pros:
Maybe higher resale values

Cons:
Heavier, weaker body rigidity, lower aerodynamic qualities, leaks, rattles, additional service items, security, questionable aesthetics.

pugmyre, Dec 31, 12:05am
Point 1:No Rattles, Absolutely NO leaks and as far as I'm concerned as a happy owner when the bloody top comes off, to me it's a convertible and I don't care what anyone else thinks or says.

But people say it's not a Convertible, bearing in mind we're told it's Saturday today.How do we know!Who invented it!

vtecintegra, Dec 31, 12:49am
I'll second this - makes driving with the top up a pain on the MX5

trogedon, Dec 31, 1:02am
Heavier! Often ligher than the comparabe coupe, purpose built convertibles are usually as rigid as the coupe in a similar model (few have scuttle shake), same with aerodynamics, many don't leak or increase noise, only item that might need work is the soft top (hardly "service item" though), security! (alarm), "questionable aesthetics" - in your humble opinion.

foxdonut, Dec 31, 1:08am
Well I have one out in the garage at the moment and it rattles and leaks and its not even a convertible. Its a "Targa Top" - invented by Porsche in the mid 60's. Similar to a T-Bar - Corvette / Tasco (depending who you ask).

If it was a convertible it wouldn't have an enormous B-pillar.

Spaz out like a retard all you want, its not a convertible.

foxdonut, Dec 31, 1:10am
Great.

Give us some examples.

pugmyre, Dec 31, 1:25am
I take offence at being called a retard.At my age 70 years, plus 3 trades with a university degree, I've probably forgotten more than you'll ever learn.As for your leaky rattler, take a photo, put it on TM, and if the price is right, I'll buy it and fix it.

vtecintegra, Dec 31, 1:30am
If we're referring to the Del Sol its only about 70KG heavier than an equivalent Civic hatch but the chassis is very noticeably less rigid.

This goes for almost all 'convertible' versions of a car that isn't purpose built to be a convertible.

pugmyre, Dec 31, 1:30am
Hey foxdonut:go google the following:Honda del sol.The first posting clearly states it is a Targa top CONVERTIBLE.

foxdonut, Dec 31, 1:31am
Yeah. You're the man.

You're older than the technology and you don't even know what its called. Or did you just "forget that"!

pugmyre, Dec 31, 1:42am
Nah, I don't forget.I only read what Honda put there.Read it yourself sometime.

foxdonut, Dec 31, 1:47am
Honda didn't put it there idiot. Your Google results are from Wikipedia.

pugmyre, Dec 31, 1:52am
YOU COULD CALL ME AN IDIOT,BUT YOU'RE THE ONE THAT OWNS A CAR THAT RATTLES AND LEAKS.