Convertible Goods and Bads

Page 3 / 3
foxdonut, Dec 31, 1:57am
Chill out fool, you'll live longer.

bob1088, Dec 31, 2:57am
now now girls - the example I`ve already mentioned, Merc SLK, does not suffer from faults you mention and IS a convertible - hard top style - have owned 3 or 4, the last (AMG 32) having nearly super car performance.

geedubu, Dec 31, 3:49am
Correct Bob, a good choice for convertible fans not wanting to deal with canvas tops, and not a bad Sunday car either.

fordcrzy, Dec 31, 4:56am
having owned my mx5 for 11 years i can say that the good points of the mx5 are:
Just as reliable (if not more) as any hatch.
puts a smile on your face in everyday driving.
even when its raining you dont get wet if you stay above 80kmh.( i have only had to raise the top ONCE when driving in rain when we got DUMPED on by a deluge near taupo.

Not so good points:
Budget on a new soft top every 10 years (about$1000)
Everyone who has never driven one will hassle you.just ignore them they are ignorant!

the comments on wind buffeting etc are EASILY fixed by putting the side windows up and fitting a wind breaker between the seats.often the wind blockers are fitted to roll bars which make the car look better too.

the mx5 soft top is easily raised and lowered by one person in less than 10 seconds.you can even do it while seated if your a bit agile in the shoulders.

vtecintegra, Dec 31, 5:18am
You can do a replacement soft top for an MX5 way cheaper than that if you're willing to import one and fit it yourself. I'll admit that does scare me off less common convertibles as tops aren't as readily available and can be very expensive.

geedubu, Dec 31, 5:27am
This is the season of goodwill, stop slapping away at one another over nothing.We all like cars, the OP just wants a convertible not a ringside seat at a catfight.

fordcrzy, Dec 31, 5:52am
agreed but for your average joe who cant source/change it themselves.a grand is a good budget price estimate for a top

trogedon, Dec 31, 5:53am
What's your New Years resolution.to stop being a negative name caller at least once a day!!

ebygum1, Dec 31, 6:03am
And it's a great sex aid for us older folk.

richard198, Dec 31, 6:37am
Am I right in assuming you're talking about the collectable chrome bumper MGB's with brake fade as opposed to the recent MR with the leaky roofs!

magoo2, Dec 31, 6:54am
buy one with a bench seat,then the wife/girlfriend can cuddle up and keep you warm

gooddealz2, Dec 31, 9:09am
I wish we hadn't sold our Saab.Loved driving it in all weathers and a genuine four seater.Only bad reaction was some idiots throwing fish and chips in it one day when I'd left the roof down to find it full of seagulls when we got back.Bright yellow and people around town seemed to love it when you drove by.

neville48, Jul 30, 4:41pm
Is this what you are suggesting is going to happen on our "date" !