Wattyl Killrust to paint car!

Page 1 / 2
morrisman1, Jan 8, 8:41am
Has anyone used this to paint a car before! Just thinking of using it as a cheap paint for the track car. I'll be spraying it of course, ive moved on from the paint roller!

There is the primer too but I dont know how necessary that would be for such an application. White is the colour I had in mind.

skin1235, Jan 8, 8:49am
last time I experienced any such attempts I had a prick of a job covering it, nothing would go on it without blistering or crazing , could have been too soon or the top coats makeup perhaps

supernova2, Jan 8, 8:53am
Guess it would work if you used a Killrust topcoat from the watyl system but not to sure how flash the finish would be.

trdbzr, Jan 8, 8:55am
I don't know if you can buy rustoleum in NZ but I remember seeing pictures a few years back of a guy painting his mini (i think) a nice yellow using just rustoleum and foam brushes. It actually came out really good and looked like a proper paint job.

morrisman1, Jan 8, 8:57am
that was what I was referring to, the top coat, not the primer. Of course I would put a couple coats of primer on before hand.

I have had good results out of the kill-rust black which is what I use on basically everything and have just done a towing dolly with it today, spraying it for the first time and I was really impressed with it as opposed to brushing which is more of a pain in the arse to do.

geedubu, Jan 8, 8:58am
There are lots of interesting googled sites about rolling or spraying on killrust type paints to coat a car but not many examples of nzr's having done this with anything better than tragic results.Better to blow on some kind of universal intercoat primer then spray dulon on the top, worked for me once or twice.PS morrisman I've read lots of posts about your progress with your track car, I look forward to seeing it in action but maybe not being side by side in a corner!

trdbzr, Jan 8, 9:01am

morrisman1, Jan 8, 9:09am
What sort of cost is involved in dulon!

Its not a show car, just would like to have it white because it will help mask some of the small dents and a better colour to put stickers onto.

I painted a car with interior enamel and a roller a couple years back and it turned out pretty good. no polishing equipment so never got a high gloss smooth finish but I didnt really care about that.

phlippy, Jan 8, 9:11am
it takes a long time to dry, doesnt stick to fibeglass very well.
just shake the cans a fair bit while you are spraying. needs to drip out the nozzles a bit

morrisman1, Jan 8, 9:14am
I will be spraying with the spray gun. Turps is the thinner that the packet specifies, would any other thinner provide better drying times or glossier finish!

When brushing it takes ages to dry because I seem to put so much on. It was touch dry in 30 minutes today in the Invercargill sun after spraying it on. I thinned roughly 10% today with mineral turps

skin1235, Jan 8, 9:17am
if it is soluble in general thinners, use that, I've used it before with turps based enamels to good effect

morrisman1, Jan 8, 9:21am
any ideas of how much thinning I should do with GP thinners!

michael.benn, Jan 8, 9:24am

michael.benn, Jan 8, 9:25am
It's all in the prep and the buffing/polishing once you've finished, so I'm told.

Can look fantastic though. No primer necessary most of the time as well. Go for it. Make sure it's a 50/50 ratio of the killrust and 100% mineral spirits.

michael.benn, Jan 8, 9:26am
Don't use anything other than 100% mineral spirits, or you'll pay for it later.

Would also recommend the high density foam rollers as opposed to spraying it on.

morrisman1, Jan 8, 9:40am
why the rollers instead of spraying! That porsche looks mint as!

michael.benn, Jan 8, 9:46am
Indeed it does :)

Rollers tend to make for an easier job. less masking, no overspray. No streaking like you see from cheap spraycan jobs and I'm also not sure on how well the killrust sprays compared to your standard auto paint.

+ painting it with the roller is more fun =]

morrisman1, Jan 8, 9:57am
Yea roller is quite fun, here are some pics of the old beast we rollered:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/morrisman1/P1010088_small.jpg http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/morrisman1/P10101112.jpg http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/morrisman1/P1010538small.jpg

When I say spraying I mean using a spray gun on the compressor, not spray cans of paint

bellky, Jan 8, 8:12pm
i've used it as an undercoat with an enamel (other) top coat and it's ok but car doesn't see rain.

if i were you i would be using the epoxy enamel

the-lada-dude, Jan 8, 9:18pm
man oh man !
are you going to use a compressor and gun! theres an art to sray painting PROPERLY.
if i was you, i'd kill the rust with phosphoric acid,
then bog,
then undercoat wtih sanding primer,
then by good quality ENAMEL PAINTexterior house, or auto enamal,
use two waythinners,
buy a dozen bottles of piss for your local auto painter to squirt a couple of coats on her
he will show you what to do and how to mask out properly and he would have the whole car done inside and out in 1 hour +/-

the-lada-dude, Jan 8, 9:20pm
oh the reason you dont want to use dulon is it's f.n expensive and it wont hide any flaws in body work at all

the-lada-dude, Jan 8, 9:21pm
oh, you can also put hardners in the enamel so it cures friggn quick !

michael.benn, Jan 8, 9:50pm
Yeah, I know, was just trying to make a point :P

With this killrust stuff, you can get it really quite glossy if you're using the white or the red, it's all in the prep and the finishing buff/polish.

Here's an Audi A4 that a guy did using rustoleum. he mixed in flakes for the two last coats.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/271586-DIY-50-paint-job.-In-my-back-yard.-in-a-tent

Have a look through the first few pages :)

lookoutas, Jan 9, 7:06am
I've only ever used black Wattyl, and know that it's not very UV tolerant.

next-to-normal, Jan 10, 1:12am
resene makes a good paint higlow ( one called all black) got a nice sheen to it, better with a primer.but there are othe types of finishs,