Motorcycle engine paint options

sifty, Jan 10, 9:43pm
Ok, I've got a wee project to restore for when the kids are old enough to ride (an old Honda so most parts available). I'll prob get the frame powder coated black for durability, but am wondering about the best options for both stripping and painting the engine.!

specifically:
cylinder/head (cast) - black
cylinder head cover (cast) - silver
engine cases (alloy) - silver

Anyone have experience with over-the-counter options of heat/oil resistant paint! I would like something that is wear resistant, easy to apply (spray bombs) and looks ok. Any tips appreciated.

cheers.

sifty, Jan 10, 9:46pm
forgot to add, this will be 'practice' for other projects I have languishing in the shed, so bear in mind I may use the same process on more valuable machines in the future.

sifty, Jan 12, 9:26pm
done some research, anyone used the VHT products!
and if so where would I buy 'em.!

berg, Jan 12, 9:34pm
VHT heatproof engine enamal is pretty good. Available at Repco in all sorts of colours. Just make sure the parts are cleaned with a good non residue cleaner first.
Other option is to go with the powdercoat at the same time as the frame.

budgel, Jan 12, 9:40pm
VHT is good if expensive , anything called engine enamel works.

Manyof those small bikes just had ordinary silver paint on the side covers etc .which used to wear off around the gearlever, decent primer would make a difference.I have found that on the barrel etcpaint tends to get baked on and lasts well.

I found that spraying onto the engine while still quite hot gave good adhesion, but you cant correct any runs.

sifty, Jan 12, 10:09pm
cheers,
yeah it was more the alloy cases I was wondering about, will prob have engine apart for painting so can do that hot after a stint in the oven (while wifey away).

Can't be bothered keeping crankcases/covers polished so was thinking a decent primer and aluminium coloured spray, but was concerned abut paint rubbing off - is there a decent clear coat option available!

noodleman4, Jan 12, 10:39pm
Hi, a mate used PJ1 coatings Fast Black rattle can, satin black, 260C engine & case paint on my GSX1400 engine covers and fork lowers, a light sand to get scruffy clear coat off then paint. Polishing engine cases not my thing either.

sifty, Jan 12, 11:45pm
cool, will look into it, ta.

owene, Jan 13, 12:45am
Might sound silly but if you have the thing in bits, chuck it into a large saucepan and boil it up for half an hour. That gets every trace of oil and grease out of it and VHT then sticks like sh1t to a blanket.

By the way, don't do that when the wife is home - it's definately something she shouldn't know about. If she finds out, you may well get spuds tasting of engine parts for the next year or so!

sifty, Jan 13, 12:50am
ta, have heard of using the dishwasher as well.

trogedon, Jan 13, 5:51am
No kitchen appliance is safe

detroitauto, Jan 13, 6:51am
VHT has been good to me in the years

muzz67, Jan 13, 5:44pm
give vht a quick heat with a paint stripper gun and it wont get fingermarks on it while you're getting it into th oven

owene, Jan 13, 8:35pm
I'd suggest that if you heat VHT from the outside in, it will NEVER cure. In other words, it should be applied then the motor or exhaust is then naturally heated (by running) and so the stuff is baked ONTO the metal instead of over the metal. I've used this stuff extensively over the years and if you externally heat it, very poor adhesion is achieved. Read the instructions on the can which also emphasises this.

But applied properly to a 100% grease-free surface, it's brilliant stuff.

sifty, Jan 13, 11:51pm
what about spraying onto a barrel that had been in the oven for a while, then back in!

and anyone have experience with the 3M high temp products from SCA!
Just had a look and they seem ok, paint directly onto a clean metal surface

leaning towards VHT though.

owene, Jan 14, 12:01am
Well the VHT blurb says to spray onto cold surfaces then slowly heat them naturally.

sifty, Jan 14, 12:10am
yep, just looking at that now.

"VHT Engine Enamel only attains its unique properties after correct curing.

???Bake at 200°F (93°C) for 20 minutes.
???The inherent heat of engine operation will also accomplish curing."

Might head into ripco and order some high temp primer as they recommend that, and pretty sure there was none at the shop.

I see they also offer a barrel spray paint but it is only rated at the same temp as engine enamel, so will prob just use satin black and aluminium colours.

Prob some time till i actually get around to applying it but will try to let you know how it goes. Cheers for the advice.

owene, Jan 14, 1:01am
Dunno if you can still buy it but hammerlite is an even better product - it retains its glossy colour on engines.

budgel, Jan 14, 10:41pm
As the baking on of VHT seems to be an integral part of the system, it may not be the best choice for the engine cases as they wont get very hot.

sifty, Jan 15, 5:52am
ok, wife away so spent the day in the shed completely dismantling it (great fun). Frame stripped and ready to go for blasting/coating and wheels are cleaned up. I need to do a little welding on the worn handlebar lever mount points but pretty much everything else will just need cleaning and replacement with OEM parts. Hardest thing was prob separating the tyres from the rims.

I need a high temp engine black and a hardy aluminium engine/wheel paint for the cosmetics. Only question is suitable primer for the alloy cases/hubs. Think the VHT engine enamels will do both ok, will do some research to confirm.

* budgel, these paints can be cured by baking at 93 deg C for 20 mins, easy to do in the old oven as I will have the engine apart.

sifty, Jan 15, 6:34am
and looks like the VHt self-etch primer is good for 'metal, alloy and fibreglass' surfaces, so sounds like the go. Think I'll::

- etch prime the wheels, cases, and a few steel parts, and top coat with aluminium engine enamel
- use black engine enamel directly onto cleaned barrel, as primer sounds optional

singing1, Jan 15, 7:21am
Honda did once make Honda silver.had a part number in the Honda Motorcycle dealer. Was made for the job.

budgel, Jan 15, 7:58am
All good then.Very satisfying that sort of job where the difference really shows!