Towing a 40 foot motorhome

treens2, Feb 26, 8:31am
Iwant to move my motorhome 15 kms,the motor as not been started for three years,there lots off birds nests inthe motor do tihing if the was started it could catch on fire so hence the reason I want to tow it,any advice please

40wav, Feb 26, 8:36am
You will need to make sure the brakes work, and the tyres are up to the task. Might be a good opportunity to have a clean out around the motor and get her going again, just so you know it can, unless thats totally pointless (or thats where you get your eggs). Good luck.

sandypheet, Feb 26, 8:38am
Hope you havnt left the park brake on.

matrix641, Feb 26, 8:44am
When you get it going, and you start your drive, remember to pull the F over when there are cars behind you and you are doing 30km/h.

treens2, Feb 26, 8:52am
Looking for intelligent answers,brother was going to sort it for me but he died last week after a long fight with cancer

solarboy, Feb 26, 10:06am
You're obviously aware of the risk of nest's causing fires on rural machinery from the frequent warnings in the farm papers and the brakes could be dicey after 3 years too, so towing would be safest.I'd suggest getting a local contractor with a big tractor to tow you. I'm rural too and have heaps of tractors passing towing very large ag. machinery every day. so your motorhome wouldn't be any problem to them. Sorry to hear about your brother

petermcg, Feb 26, 6:54pm
Yeah Bud, I have thought about this in my own instance and have wondered if I ever needed to tow my motorhome, how to do it. I think the Idea of a large tractor is the way to go, but also like the idea of having a clean up round that motor and giving it a run.

big.b-lil.c, Feb 26, 7:27pm
http://www.aceheavyhaulage.co.nz/

ok this is auckland but im sure there is someone in the south island

scoobeey, Feb 26, 7:38pm
clean up the birds nest or of course it will catch fire! geeesh

elect70, Feb 26, 11:55pm
Just ring atruck recovery /tow outfit to tow it to new destination.Not worththe time to sort the engine out , if its going to sit at new location for another 3 years .

skin1235, Feb 28, 9:13am
40ft'r. thats going to be about 8tonne tare, and thats a hell of a lot to haul behid a tractor especially an agricultural tractor - they're not known for having a great grip on asphalt, actually their tyres are designed to have SWA grip on anything firmer than a soft paddock, I wouldn't wish to be the driver of said tractor on the first downhill slope
if towing with no engine going it is going to need stiff-arming cos it will have NO brakes
get the engine fired up even if you have to tow it all around the local, then drive it
even a car battery will suffice to excite the alternator, just make sure you don't stall it or let it stop until you are at the destination

shane191, Feb 28, 9:34am
a decent sized tractor will pull it fine as long as you can get the brakes released and working enough to stop it from running into back of tractor.

chris_051, Feb 28, 10:03am
Too bad they charge $250/hr, For that price you'dbe better off getting a diesel mechanic out to get it started etc, or if you manage to know someone in the trade some cash and a few boxes of piss. What make is the motorhome!

franc123, Feb 28, 10:19am
route it has to be moved all flat!I'd use a 4.2 diesel Safari/Patrol with a decent towbar and a beefy A frame to shift that.It can be done if you know what you are doing.

elect70, Mar 2, 1:12am
Or ring a truckowner ask him to tow itfor cash .

petermcg, Mar 2, 4:02am
We tow a 30 ft trailer with 14 large round bales of haylige with our tractors, but Im sure he would realise that he needs to get a big tractor to do the job, and tow with a solid beam , not a rope.

treens2, Mar 2, 4:25am
Franc could you contact me through my listing,route is flat gravel road,I am at Dunsandel

solarboy, Mar 2, 8:47am
Yes,I'd still go for the big tractor rather than a Patrol - can see the "tail" wagging the dog there whereas the tractors i see every day at this time of year have the weight, wheelbase and track to give them plenty of stability and are probably cruising at around 40 km/p/h with a big harvester behind and sometimes a ute and diesel tank/trailer as well .And yes again, I forgot to mention that of course you'd need a solid coupler rather than a rope/chain.

intrade, Jun 7, 5:09pm
see if somone can get the engine going birdsnest are easy cleard with waterblaster.most easy is when you get the things engine going dont know what brakes its got but newer airbraiks lock when there is no air.