ELECTRICAL WOF FOR MOTORHOME PLEASE HELP

sunshine1968, Sep 30, 8:29pm
I just bought my first little motorhome - a 6meter Isuzu Journey. I traded it for my car at a Car dealers.The dealer knows NOTHING about it - re: how to fill tanks etc.It was owned by an old boy for 15 years (now in his 80s and has dementia) He has plumbed and wired it himself (Plumber by trade in his day). I learnt that I couldnt plug it up at a motorcamp as I only have the "normal" household cord that isnt compatible with motorcamps. My question is. Am I able to just buy a compatible lead and plug it up that way! What is required for an electrical WOF! Ive had it plugged in at home and everything works fine.

crzyhrse, Sep 30, 8:42pm
Do you seriously believe that as long as it 'works fine' right this moment it was therefore done properly and will continue to work fine! The mere fact it currently just uses an domestic 3-pin lead for the mains connection immediately suggests the complete opposite to me.

franc123, Sep 30, 8:52pm
The mere fact that its got a normal household cord as a power supply says whoever did the job didn't know what the hell they were doing.It may be a case of fitting a large type caravan style plug in place of the small 3 pin one but then again it might not be.EWOF's are available from some general (NOT auto) electricians, those that do them usually say so in their ads in the yellow pages.I'd be preparing for a few laughs from the sparkie and an expensive job to get it compliant if I was you.On the subject of motor camps and electricity, on your travels you might want to ask them why exactly EWOFs are even required on "proper" campers and caravans when they hardly ever check them and when they permit the likes of seasonal workers and these grubby tourists who limp about the place in these grotty old 1980's vans they buy with mattresses in the back who do exactly that, run household cords through windows.i'd like to know the answer.

sunshine1968, Sep 30, 9:03pm
Thank you. I am a motorhome "virgin" and this is my first bus so I appreciate your comments - I would have thought the car dealer would have realised!This bus has been well set up by the old fulla - its not a "backyard" job as in wires and hoses hanging out everywhere. Thanks again

coolnzmum, Sep 30, 9:11pm
I don't necessarily agree that just because it come with a normal plug it isn't correct.What is the other end of the cord like, the one that plugs into the campervan.It is possible to get a cord that will go from caravan/campervan to your normal 3 pin plug.Until we put a caravan plug outside we plugged our caravan into normal plug. It should have the standard caravan plug outlet - large round plug with round pins and flip cover on the outside of the campervan for your power cord to connect to.

However I would be getting an electrician out to give it a check and EWOF as that is a legal requirement.

sunshine1968, Sep 30, 9:17pm
Thank u coolnzmum. My thoughts mirror yours somewhat. The previous owner had it for 15years and travelled round doing odd jobs (plumber by trade) He is now in his 80s - I wish I couldve met him before he got dementia. Its been looked after, I know that much. I will get a qualified opinion from a sparky but if he seems to think it is safe, why bother paying for a Elec. Fitness!

sunshine1968, Sep 30, 9:19pm
PS: It may be a legal requirement, but its survived all this time without one! Everything else is legal - COF/Rego/RUC etc. Its also a legal requirement that people pay their parking meters, but dont always do they!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 30, 9:22pm
Consider joining these guys, its well worth while and will save you a fortune in camp ground fees etc. Also they have a very good online forum too.
http://www.nzmca.org.nz/

coolnzmum, Sep 30, 9:25pm
It is not too expensive to get a EWOF and they last for three years.It does mean you can pull up and plug into camping grounds.Does the camper have a caravan plug on the outside!

If you get a sparky to check it out anyway you may as well get him to give it a EWOF.

franc123, Sep 30, 9:38pm
Is their any labels on it from previous EWOF's!If there isn't you would have to ask yourself why, get the proper check done for your own peace of mind.

andrew1954, Sep 30, 10:56pm
Bear in mind having the camper tested and given a EWOF will help to ensure it is safe for the person/s intending to live in BUT also ANYBODY who happens to touch it while it is plugged in at the camping grounds !
Also I do not think a registered sparkie can test & issue a EWOF for a camper, they would have to be a registered Electrical Inspector.

sunshine1968, Oct 1, 12:02am
Wow! Thank you all for this feedback -I am most grateful for this advice. Im going to look at that website jazz. and I will certainly get a EWOF for it - peace of mind (thanks franc123) . Thank u all again - so helpful :)

ryanm2, Oct 1, 12:31am
yeah, inspectors do those EWOF. To find someone in your area you can try electricalforum.co.nz and ask.

msigg, Oct 1, 1:51am
Coolzmum and jazz are on to it, just because it has the wrong plug on it dosn'nt mean its unsafe, The guy that rigged it all up has been using it up untill now, It just needs the correct plug and electrical cert for the camp grounds, Its a simple job really but an electrician has the ticket to do it. good luck and good on you . happy camping.

elect70, Oct 1, 2:32am
Camp grounds are supposed to see electrical WOF before allowing it to be connected . Get an electrical inspector ( mandatory ) in tocheck & test& issueWOF, have to fit RCD in the fuse boxto now, & have standardround pin15 ampsocket&plug . He obviously didnt use camp grounds .

kenw1, Oct 1, 9:56am
Join NZMCA and get cheap insurance for a start, they have inspectors that will help sort out the certification.The saving on insurance for our bus, more than covers the sub to NZMCA and there are heaps of other benefits.

muzz67, Nov 29, 8:01am
insurance may be void if no Ewof and you have an elec fire. Yes, NZMCA good thing,very helpful and heaps of lowcost parking. Our insurance heaps cheaper throo AMI but thats gonna change!