Nelson Members / Automotive Workshop

Page 1 / 2
zephyrheaven, Mar 2, 8:37am
Whats it like Automotive wise! Does it need another workshop!

Never had a bad time there myself, only know one person there so would be a huge dig in to start again - but what am I looking at here etc

Thoughts:

berg, Mar 2, 8:43am
Used to mechanic there myself. The moneys not great and the clientele is not the richest in the country. There are some very good established places there catering to most of the field so breaking into it could be hard work. Maybe buying into an existing business might be a go.
Nice place to live though and we hope to shift back when we have had enough of the North Island.

zephyrheaven, Mar 2, 8:46am
Its not a pretty picture here either berg, be a long time waiting for work to start again Id say

Thinking of the little zephs now really, dont care about myself anymore - just want to know they have some kind of future instead of being worried 24/7

Had a few people say thanks for the loyal service & extra care but we have left for good as of ././. so wonder if its time to get out when I can

berg, Mar 2, 8:52am
Oh Krap. I've just seen you are in Chch. Hope things are all ok with the family.
Nelson is lovely but expensive to live in. If my memory serves me right you are ex Blenheim. I may know of a place there that could do with a mechanic. I could also do some digging in Nlsn for you to see whats available. I got out four years ago and am now a mechanical consultant for a government department. Much better work and clean hands.

berg, Mar 2, 9:05am
I hear ya. Working for a gov department schools you up on delays and long time frames. Maybe also look at places like Picton if you are good with boats or Motueka if you are good with Ag gear
Give somebody like John Gordie a ring in Nlsn. He owns his own workshop (does heaps of drag stuff) and he might be able to tell you what the work climate is like there at the moment. When I left things were really quiet.
Good luck though.

elvis58, Mar 2, 9:09am
Hi Zeph.Is Timaru too small for you! Everytime i've been there for the last few years i'm amazed by the go ahead nature there compared to Dunedin. Thing'sthere are clean and vibrant and people seem happy and upbeat, don't know how much competition you would have to deal with though.Best of luck with whatever you decide.

zephyrheaven, Mar 2, 9:29am
havent said Im leaving for sure yet

just feel handcuffed by a lease the insurance company wont let me out of & their attitude towards people that want to go ahead & get started again is rubbish

i have people calling me all the time wanting work done but where can I do it!
I cant just run out & sign a new lease FFS without knowing where I stand & all commercial properties are being swallowed by the deep pocket brigade (whats new)
cant even find a shipping container to store my 2nd hand zephyr stock

ralphdog1, Mar 2, 9:54am
A side question Zeph, you got somewhere to safely hide a container if you find one!

nathanmac, Mar 2, 10:00am
Hate to say it but it seems like anywhere between Chch and Wellington seems a shaky proposition tonight.You could always try Central North Island if you don't mind living under a volcano.Hmmm maybe if Auckland wasn't built on 20 volcanoes it might be an optionDo they ever get quakes on the East Coast of the NI (lol).Invercargill gets snowstorms, and you can forget about anywhere below the Clyde Dam(n) which is supposedly built right over a fault too.So really you're left with either Gore or far south Fiordland like Preservation Inlet.Not sure how much business there is down there though (maybe a boat goes by every couple of weeks!) and you'd need to turn over some serious dosh to afford sandfly repellant. might just have to flip a coin cuz.

bigfatmat1, Mar 2, 6:17pm
Nelson is good I lived in chch 4 years ago all my family and friends are in chch I grew up there then shifted here. I Have never looked back would never consider chch as an option to live again and that was before these earthquakes. I find what berg says about money is the incorrect. Work wise it has been very busy for us for the last 8 mnts but is directly related to chch. living expenses are the same I did find rentals a little bit pricey but I see that chch is around the same now.If you have the right attitude and are good at what you do you would do well in nelson we have alot of muppets who have bad names.

bigfatmat1, Mar 2, 6:19pm
and the weather is good most of the time sunny no wind. and the lifestyle is more relaxed.

muzz67, Mar 2, 6:39pm
HaHa, well, most of the time! Pouring down and windy at mo!
Yeah, Nelson good to live in, great for kids, good schooling etc, beaches for miles. Wages a bit ordinary tho. House/section prices pretty reasonable too coz of the 'depression'. (Economy never 'falls' here, just flattens of occasionally),, Good luck Zeph.

zephyrheaven, Mar 2, 7:28pm
Not really mate kind of got a mates farm at Tai Tap to put it but its miles away & dont really want it close to the river where he is

intrade, Mar 2, 9:54pm
dont want to bash anithing . But i have to turn off the tv about crischurch when i see how they do things like the dumpeople who try and fetch light in bags and carry it inside a building they built with no windows to try and let the light out of the bag inside the building.
Having said this. The whole of newzealand operates on a similar principal.
"You can be sure that you cant be sure ", and no one everwill call you back when they say they will, thats my personal expirience , If you want something you cant wait till they calll back you be waiting 20 years.Here aexample
called ic motor whangarei to get a price for nissan cambelt guy said i see and call back . 2h later no call am i surprised no its all normal and to be expected in this country. so i call again and he has not even looked it up but this time did it while i was on the phone. then the part is ex japan lol .
this is what upsets you most when you go to europe and get used to people doing there job when you come back here food cost 2 to 3 times what it is in any other country including australia and then you have to deal again with morons with no clue on a daily basis. Took me a whole month to settle in again Wanted to sell up and leave the first 3 weeks.

1fordluva, Mar 2, 11:02pm
Yeah zeph first client would be the mg in the other thread.
Good luck with your decision.

intrade, Mar 2, 11:33pm
re*20 i told some simple facts . why would i want to wait 14 day for a timingbelt to come geniuen from japan that cost on top 210$ when i can get a aftermarket one for 30$ from supercheap and 50$ from partsmaster who had the belt in stock and where i purchased it. I got to get clients cars going as fast as possibile and not tell em sorry mate 14 day befor i can continue and it will cost you a few times more on top.the ic motor was just the one that happend last. I do accept that these things are just facts to accept when you live here. there are things that are better then other countrys also but it can be hugely frustrating to do things here at times.

carmedic, Mar 3, 3:25am
Hey Intrade, A serious question.
Why ARE you here!
Love, marriage kids, deportation or avoiding extradition!
You??

intrade, Mar 3, 3:57am
Yes its the best place that i know off, but the last 20 years it has worsend a lot with law and restrictions and fees and fines and taxes. presumably other countrys have worsend also.

ralphdog1, Mar 3, 5:00am
Similar distance, but no river here, hunt me out on here if you need help.

zephyrheaven, Mar 3, 5:06am
Thanks Keith!

Have signed a new lease in another building with conditions of old lease termination etc

Wondering if I shouldnt be moving over to Hornby really - lots of people / not many workshops

ralphdog1, Mar 3, 5:07am
Where is the new lease!

saki, Mar 3, 5:14am
On ya zeph best of luck.

zephyrheaven, Mar 3, 6:57am
Just round the corner mate

Current ones floor is too dodgy to reposition the hoists (i have 4) so basically , new shop can fit 3, lease is much cheaper & building is lovely & sunny

Must admit & Im first to say so in this instance, I am terrified in the old place now - I tremble & am anxious something wicked in there trying to clean up
Its probably post traumatic or whatever

Fact is, in my short life Ive only had a handful of instances where I could live or die - this is one of them & all I could think about was getting to my son (wife being in Auckland on business was a blessing)

Its definitely changed me forever - the screaming from the girls over the road was blood curdling

I wish nobody on earth had to go thru those moments alone like I did

ralphdog1, Mar 3, 9:37am
Zeph,live 14km from Epicentre of the 7.1, and was in Barbadoes St a block from CTV for the 6.3 so can relate to where you are coming from. The state of the woman coming down the stairs at work is something that will always remain with me, and none of us were injured.
Without wishing to appear too touchy feely (this is the motoring MB afterall) I reckon your reaction sounds pretty bloody normal, being alone especially would be extra freaky.
I may wander in some day and intoduce myself.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 3, 9:56am
Zeph, assuming you decided to stay on in Christchurch for the time being I am wondering if there is something from the quake that you can work to your advantage for some temporary cash flow while you see what happens with leases etc.
Mightbe worth checking in with the Council and/or the building contractors/ out of town or national hire companies (as they may have gear in CHCH that wont be coming back in time for servicing). For example there may be generators and other machinery that need on site servicing for the next few months.
It may come to nothing but worth checking in case you got a sweet well paying short term contract out of it. Could give you some time to just take a breather and think things over.