87 honda prelude with red light!

rodg.sue, Mar 3, 5:02am
my sons car has been going fine, but on Sunday we went into town and then the red light- looks like a cylindar with heat lines thru it came on and stayed on! Hubby reckons its the fan that cools the radiator he reckons he idled the car and it didnt kick in! anybody have any clues! already have a huge mechanics bill this week from other car so really dont want another TIA

mugenb20b, Mar 3, 5:11am
Catalytic converter burnt out/blocked.

xs1100, Mar 3, 5:32am
yep cat needs to be cut out and replaced with a new bit of pipe

royale1, Mar 3, 5:59am
thats what my car did once, it was a blowen brake bulbhave a check and see

mantagsi, Mar 3, 9:47am
Yup dollars to doughnuts thats the problem. Cut it out and pop a straight bit of pipe in there, finding a cat for that car that wont set you back about eight hundred bazillion dollars might be a problem, but a simple swap for a plain piece of exhaust pipe will work wonders

carkitter, Mar 3, 11:28am
Aint' if funny how everyone wants to save the environment until it begins to cost them money. Cats are not massively expensive nor do they use up all your horsepower. They do however reduce toxic emissions by a huge amount.

carkitter, Mar 3, 11:56am
In 1986 Porsche had catalylic converters that consumed only 1hp. That was 25yrs ago.

Catalytic converters are supposed to be replaced, they wear out. Some only last 80,000kms. If you though they last a lifetime, more fool you.

I have hooked up a four-gas analysizer to cars with cats and non-cat equipped cars and the difference is night and day. They do work and personally I'd like a world with less Nitrogen Oxide in it, even though I don't believe all the doomsday green malarky.

fordluva, Mar 3, 9:05pm
A different "red light" I think you will find

rodg.sue, Mar 5, 9:55pm
Just wanted to say thankyou for all your input, took it to the garage yes catelytic conv, and grand total of $21.00 to fix, many thanks again

johnf_456, Jun 19, 6:40pm
Get on ya push bike ya greenie lol