HONDA AUTO TRANS OIL

fish1963, Jan 14, 8:54am
have just drained and replaced auto trans oil in a 94 honda ascot.could'nt get genuine honda atf-z1 so bought castrol atf recommended post 1990.car is now high revving when changing between 3rd and 4th gear and laging when put in reverse.oil seems to be quite thin.any honda wizzes out there!

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 8:55am
Have you checked the oil level with engine running, and in 'neutral'!

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 8:56am
Older Hondas can take Dexron or TQ95. I used Dexron without any issues.

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 9:00am
How much crap was on the magnet of the drain plug when you took it out! What colour was old fluid and did it smell burnt!

fish1963, Jan 14, 9:13am
yep oil level is fine.
put in 7 litres.
i used castrol tq95.
wanted to use nulon multi as it recemmends for replacement for honda genuine atf-z1.went to supercheap auto timaru but had no nulon,so had to buy castrol tq95.now have slipping probs.
maybe should of stuck to honda genuine atf-z1 or nulon .

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 9:17am
Hmmm.the new fluid shouldn't make the transmission slip, even though it's not genuine Honda. I think your trans is toast. Go on youtube, and type in EricTheCarGuy. He's a Honda tech, even though it may not help you, but have a look at his video on auto trans. service.

foxdonut, Jan 14, 2:51pm
Wasn't the ascot notorius for this sort of issue! It may just be a case of bad timing, timing (as in, ironic / inconsequential etc) instead of the wrong fluid.

Maybe the shit that was in there was holding it all together.

wilgil, Jan 15, 1:06am
You must use the Honda oil - or possibly Dextron. Nothing else will work. Honest. Same deal with the civic and CRV autos. I think if you do a good 'Google' on the subject you will see where you went wrong!

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 5:16am
My Honda has got Dexron written on the dipstick. TQ95 is just a slightly better version of Dexron.

drew2009, Jan 18, 5:34am
7 litres is to much fluid i have the same car only takes 4.5 litres or so of ATF