Main Dealers 'Powertrain Warranty' - worth it?

barrie2, Jan 18, 5:52am
Please give advice as my grandson has bought a 2001 Mazda Familia from main (Toyota) dealership who have offered powertrain warranty for 3 years for $850. He has no money now but I could 'help him out' if you guys feel it worthwhile. Car looks good - 152,000k's 1 NZ owner since imported in 2008. Thanks.

neo_psy, Jan 18, 6:03am
What is a "powertrain warranty"!

And how does it differ from a normal warranty!

a.woodrow, Jan 18, 6:09am
Powertrain warranty covers the powertrain - engine and components, transmission and components, driveshafts, diff etc. Does not cover electronics, trim, etc.

clark20, Jan 18, 6:10am
And what does it exclude, what is the excess and what do you have to do (servicing etc) to keep it!

neo_psy, Jan 18, 6:37am
Good to know.

So, not much cheaper than a full warranty and nto covering as much.

jason18, Jan 18, 6:41am
I wouldnt bother. never had on any of my cars. Thats just my 2cents

sw20, Jan 18, 6:45am
Waste of $850 IMO. Keep it in the bank.

a.woodrow, Jan 18, 6:45am
Pretty much - only real bonus is that it will cover anything that will stop the car from moving under its own power.

jason18, Jan 18, 6:53am
An 01 familia isnt excatly loaded with extra features etc to go wrong. They are pretty basic. Keep the $850 and spend on maintenace like regular oil changes etc

carstauranga001, Jan 18, 6:56am
Too expensive. I can sell you a full mechanical and electrical 3 year Autosure warranty for $850.

kazbanz, Jan 18, 7:01am
SNAP--I'll second that

budgel, Jan 18, 8:30am
Carstauranga, what are the vehicle age limitations on such a policy!

Have you had many clients make claims!

kazbanz, Jan 18, 8:36am
16 years old-at time of policy issue.
claim limit steps based onmilage on purchase - 5k limit up to 125k then 3k limit up to 175kand 2k limit up to 225k
that limit is PER claim

foxdonut, Jan 18, 8:43am
Toyota are crooks with these warranties - everything they offer is bullshit anyway - read the small print, I virtually guarantee you'll be locked into "servicing schedules" with them and they'll rape you on the price and regularity of oil changes and general maintenance.

Changed your own oil! Well, there goes your powertrain warranty.

Call the Jackasses at Rutherford and Bond Toyota in Porirua and find out how they do business.

That 850 would _literally_ be better spent on a five foot high Chinese knock off "Pro drift spoiler" or as a downpayment on a set of 22inch spinners for the car.

boojum, Jan 18, 9:03am
You are wrong there.

http://content.toyota.co.nz/toyota/warranty_service/NWEWC.pdf See page 18.You can service it yourself or wherever you like as long as it's done.

You also get towage, rental car and accomm with their warranties.

ashwattau, Jan 18, 11:43pm
If you change the oil on the car yourself, the warranty will be void.

"In the event of a claim you must be able to demonstrate that your vehicle has been serviced in accordance with these recommendations."

This means that if anyone other than an approved service centre carries out servicing, the burden of responsibility to prove that servicing was carried out to Toyota's recommendations then becomes yours.

And how exactly are you going to fulfil that obligation! Show them a receipt for a 4L bottle of Castrol Magnatec that you bought at Repco! Good luck.

richardmayes, Jan 18, 11:45pm
So it's a warranty that only covers those components that are [gross generalization] usually pretty bulletproof on Mazdas anyway!

Save your $850.

barrie2, Jan 19, 12:10am
Well done guys - all I needed to hear. Will make sure the 'basics' are regularly done and that $850 will go a long way for that. Thanks

carstauranga001, Jan 19, 12:52am
Well amswered by Kaz. Cheers Tony, I'd gone to bed.