Dealers and change of ownership

fordluva, May 7, 3:27am
we traded in a vehicle 6 weeks ago and received the rego reminder 3 weeks later, so we emailed the dealer to let him know and filled our part in online, now we have received a notice saying the NZ transport agency have received our form but nothing from the new owner, the rego ran out yesterday so Im a bit pissed, where do we stand before I ring them to tell them my opinion!

tgray, May 7, 3:33am
Ring him up. They probably overlooked it. Be nice and you will probably get an apology and a promise to do it immediately.

johnf_456, May 7, 3:39am
As above

antoniab, May 7, 3:42am
That happened to us and they made us pay $160 before they took our name off it. Still waiting for the guy we sold it to to change it to his name and until then we could be held responsible for possible fines etc.

fordluva, May 7, 3:50am
have rang them and they say they will do it, funny that I figured the earlier reminder might have been enough, my wife just got off the phone to NZ transport agency and they are saying because they have received our side of the transaction we are no longer liable for any fines or licensing fees, really!.Sounds like bollocks to me. or is it different when a dealer purchases!

ginga4lyfe, May 7, 3:54am
its always been like that fordluva Iv sold a few cars were thats happened

antoniab, May 7, 3:59am
Ours was a private deal (july last year too!) and we got a letter after paying the $160 saying - we have recently received a notice of change of ownership for your . when a vehicle is bought and sold, both the seller and buyer are required to notify the change of ownership independantly of each other. To date we do not appear to have received any notice from the new owner. As a result, the transfer of ownership cannot be completed until they notify their part of the ownership. Until such time there is a risk that enforcement agencies may hold you liable for fees and fines that the new owner may incur. (taken from letter)

ginga4lyfe, May 7, 4:02am
Iv never read anything like that in any of the letters iv recieved. Maybe i should pay more attention!

tgray, Jan 22, 1:58am
By law they have 7 days to transfer ownership. Your change is proof enough and you are fine. Relax.