FIY workshop - fix it yourself!

Page 1 / 2
elibear, Feb 25, 1:22am
I was in Napier recently and a mate's son needed to do some repair work on his car. As usual he was poorly funded and we opted to use the FIY workshop where you hire the workshop (including hoist), tools and advice of a qualified mechanic. Brilliant concept, good people to deal with and he not only saved precious $$, he learnt something about vehicle maintenance along the way!
Highly recommend you check them out www.fiyautos.co.nz

elect70, Feb 25, 1:45am
concept not new , used to be 4 bay workshop in wellington areaall gear inc weldingbutdidnt do very wellclosed many years ago now .

fordluva, Feb 25, 2:00am
between the OSH regulations and tools dissappearing Im not surprised,

shananz92, Feb 25, 2:01am
I went in there as well and they were brilliant. Nice people and patient with me as I don't know what the heck I'm doing with cars. I went to get a warrant and my car failed but I took it into FIY and showed them what needed to be done and they helped/showed me what to do so next time I might be able to do it myself! Will definitely be going again the next time I need to (which I will, with a relatively old car). I think they'll do better than the people in Welly because it's a good idea. Its just a matter of getting the word out there so people know its there and make the time to come in and work on their cars!

shananz92, Feb 25, 2:03am
FIY has a system where they hold your licence and don't give it back until they've checked all the tool trays to make sure everythings all back where it's suppose to be. Might help them a bit.

elibear, Feb 25, 2:20am
Concept age aside, it is a great idea and speaking as a parent it is a good venue for the younger ones to do their repair work with expert supervision, well done team!

I am sure if they read this, they will note your comments and hopefully take them as useful heads up information not tall poppies syndrome as we so often do in NZ when someone takes a little initiative and/or steps outside the realms of comfortable

mrfxit, Feb 25, 2:21am
Yep would work when the tool trays are designed to hold EXACTLY THAT tool & nothing else looks right in that slot/pocket

thejazzpianoma, Feb 25, 3:16am
This is where security cameras now add another layer of protection as well. Not complete protection in themselves but when combined with the tool tray system and hopefully a record of who's license was held and what the car reg was it adds up.

mrfxit, Feb 25, 3:20am
That & maybe a bar across the door untill the tools have been checked & fee's paid.
No cash/missing tools = no car or licence
No open credit cardchit & contract = no workshop

mrfxit, Feb 25, 3:23am
Summery =

#1 A bar across the door untill the tools have been checked & fee's paid.
#2 No cash/missing tools = no car or licence
#3 No open credit cardchit & contract = no workshop
#4 Tool trays are designed to hold EXACTLY THAT tool & nothing else looks right in that slot/pocket
#5 security cameras for another layer of protection

mrfxit, Feb 25, 3:26am
Keep it all "low key" passive stuff & most ppl would be fine with that.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 25, 3:27am
Looking at their "gallery" it looks very well sorted. The repco tool trays and keeping tools to the basics would make doing a tool check pretty easy. I note they have the "extra cost to hire" items in the lockable top part of the toolbox so looking after those is easy too.

Looks very professional, well done those guys!

mcscottwgtn, Feb 25, 4:02am
How do they decide what calender to display and what radio station is playing

carmedic, Feb 25, 4:13am
It??

cypherboy, Feb 25, 5:09am
Just pull their battery out and hold onto it untill everythings ready to go!

socram, Feb 25, 6:46am
I remember using one in the UK about 30 years ago. Brilliant concept when run properly - and that isn't too difficult as long as controls (as above) are in place.The one I used was open until very late at night which was really useful.

40wav, Feb 25, 7:55am
Calender = anything with tits and cars
Radio station = Rock or Hauraki
They'll be fine.

sifty, Feb 25, 8:10am
Unless they're fixing an old brit, then it'd have to be Coronation street calendars and the concert program.

jacks.trax, Feb 25, 9:53pm
Im quite keen to try it, I drove past the other day and saw that they do cheap do-it-yourself services ($60 if i remember rightly and that includes oil and oil filter), Im a chick but Id be keen to be shown the basics on car maintenance. And I looked on their website and they do have someone there to show you. I think its worth a shot

thejazzpianoma, Feb 25, 10:27pm
Thats O.K, Sandles and Socks don't meet OSH regulations so that lot will be excluded by default anyway.

jacks.trax, Feb 26, 3:02am
My brother is going to love it there. Everybody seems to be talking about it around town an saying what a cool idea it is.

ebygum1, Feb 26, 5:06am
Great idea for the right people,i remember one in Reed Rd. Dagenham in the late 60'sSo they have been around a while!

s.patete, Feb 26, 8:09pm
Awesome idea, they need one in Palmy, would love to learn more about my car without running the risk of pulling something it bits at home and being stuck without it for a few days.

aragorn2003, Feb 26, 8:20pm
When is someone going to open one in auckland

hutchk, Feb 26, 9:19pm
I'm in. Anyone want to buy a good used set of ramps and a creeper!