Prepare for court hearing

Page 1 / 4
richardmayes, Mar 10, 10:13am
Speed limit signs really really mean what they say. And they apply even to you.

I don't see what you hope to accomplish apart from giving the lawyers a bit more work.!

gedo1, Mar 10, 8:51pm
For this section of the Auckland motorway (State Highway 1) both northbound and southbound there are variations in the posted speed restrictions.If you were pinged northbound the speed limit in the area you has been 70kph temporary for quite some time - more than a year.It is that speed because of the major changes that are taking place to the on ramps (Wellington Street and prior to that, from the Northwestern Motorway).It remains 70kph Temporary right up to the beginning of the upgrade to the Harbour Bridge.If you were southbound it is 80kph over the Harbour Bridge then 70kph temporary to just past the Northwestern/Port link off ramp when it becomes 80kph.The across the Viaduct and until about the Greenlane interchange it is 70kph temporary.and has been for well over a year.As for the fact that a speed limitation must be more than 20kph less that the original posted limit (i.e. down from 80kph to 60kph and not 70kph - hope that makes sense) on this stretch of motorway think again.

gedo1, Mar 10, 9:04pm
.you should check with the Transit authorities about this as a special law was passed to do exactly that -reduce the speed limit on a temporary basis form 80kph to 70kph.This was originally done in part because of the reconstruction of the Newmarket viaduct and the additional dangers associated with that work. Now I am not sure which authority cause the law changed - it may even have been Auckland city.However before you go to court obtain the facts applicable to the stretch of roading you are alleged to have been speeding on.That will enable you to make a rational decision about whether you will be successful in your defence and thus to decide to pay or fight.You may, of course, be on a winner if the Transit people cannot supply the rulings and law change documentation, and you defend your case on the basis of an "unprovable or improper" setting of a speed limit.Donlt hold your breath though.I have noticed that for over a year in one part of this particular stretch of motorway there are signs that say "Speed camera Operating".And I have seen the camera vans in that area quite a number of times with the flash going off like a machine gun.If the speed limit was improperly set then I cannot imagine the camera vans would be returning and operating there for this whole time -over a year and a half!Think about it - the advice from one of your responders was to engage a lawyer and not look for legitimate legal advice in the TM board.You've just got some advice froma lawyer.free!

matthew111, Mar 10, 9:44pm
prepare to be fined and face the $130 court costs. You are screwed.

dr.doolittle, Mar 10, 9:55pm
And when you've finished, dont complain about the police & courts being under resourced & having no time to deal with 'real' criminals.

scoobeey, Mar 10, 10:00pm
Dont come on here Whinging you broke the law so 'pay up'.

elect70, Mar 11, 3:14am
BUT unless its new seal or gravel , they must take down the signs if they are not actually working on that section at that time . I got off 1 where they had left the sign up but had finished the jobdays before . copthought it was easy pickings .

gedo1, Mar 11, 8:18am
Must remove the signs if they are not working an that particular section at the time!Wrong!

autografix, Mar 12, 10:01am
I drove through this section today as I do every day. There are twelve 70 Temporary signs (6 each side of the road) in the 600 metre stretch. They are hard to miss.

xs1100, Mar 13, 7:48am
yes but come on biker i am sure the poor guy working on the roads would appreciate it if you did slow down

mlan24, Mar 15, 10:25am
I never thought there are people still following it. Thanks for all your contribution and I owe you an update of my case.
The two JPs have found me guilty on the day at the defended hearing last year at Auckland District Court.
Today, 14 Mar 11, my case is heard in front of a Judge at Auckland High Court. I did one better than last time! The Judge will give the judgment later on this week as she needs time to think it over. Whatever the outcome is, I want to thank you all again for your time to write me back.

mlan24, Nov 14, 11:01am
i got a ticket for 97k over 70k temp speed, but the 70 temp only lasted about 600m before the 80k sign. so i am taking it to court and the hearing is on the 16th, just wonder if anyone out there who have been to one could share some experience with me.
i found this link very useful http://www.southernrider.co.nz/wiki/index.php/Defending_a_minor_traffic_charge

cheers

bitsy_boffin, Nov 14, 11:50am
So, it went 100km/h down to temporary 70 for 600m and up to 80, and you got done for 97 in the 70 section!

Well, certainly it's a little unusual, but, I don't see how you would intend to get out of it, posted speed limits are posted speed limits, and you exceeded it.

ola_bitchola1, Nov 14, 11:55am
do you have photos of there traffic setup!

mlan24, Nov 14, 11:59am
i was travelling northbound on SH1 wellington st Overbridge.
according to the Speed enforcement guide, http://www.police.govt.nz/resources/2007/speed-enforcement-guide/index.html vehicles should not be targeted within 250 metres from the point where the speed limit changes, also it was 11pm and no road work operating at the time. if i travelling at 90k, it will takes 2.4 second get to the 80k and 2.2second on 97k. so, the office have about 1 second and half to lock me down. but she didnt flash the light to stop until i pass the harbour bridge.

mlan24, Nov 14, 12:38pm
see the following pic
number 4, http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1052/23530048.jpg number 3, http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2438/53319268.jpg number 2, http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/4626/14636921.jpg number 1, http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5639/39909123.jpg
i obtained those drawing along with the related document
however, in the disclosure i got from police, they didnt give me the drawing number 2, which has the 80k sign. thats really interesting

mlan24, Nov 14, 12:46pm
i read it correctly, "unless there are good reasons to do so, such as protecting people operating at road works" there were no people operating at road works at 11pm

mlan24, Nov 14, 12:48pm
my question will be did the officer followed their policy! which is the Speed enforcement

bitsy_boffin, Nov 14, 12:49pm
Well best of luck to you, but if I was a JP hearing it, you wouldn't get off.

The signs were posted, it sounds like you admit you were travelling over 70 in a (temporary) 70 zone, end of story.

bitsy_boffin, Nov 14, 12:52pm
That is not relevant.

The law gives police the OPTION of discretion, in this occasion the officer chose not to exercise discretion (or you were travelling in excess of the limit after the discretionary distance).

mlan24, Nov 14, 12:54pm
i want people like dirty_tec to bring up those kind of question which they might bring, so i can prepare it better :-) i dont mind to lose this court, but i want be trade fair to everybody else. have a read this artical from nzheral, http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm!c_id=4&objectid=10687208

mlan24, Nov 14, 1:01pm
i read it about that one

mlan24, Nov 14, 1:04pm
there is Amendment rule for that one

mlan24, Nov 14, 1:28pm
I hadn't seen the temporary sign, and travelling at 90k, i will get to the 80k sign at around 3-4 sec. what could they say next!

mlan24, Nov 14, 1:29pm