Central locking relay

henderson_guy, Jan 25, 4:55am
Hey guys, one of the relays in the passenger door of my L200 has been playing up for a while now. I suspect the cause to be corroded pins on the plug. I've tried cleaning them as best I can, and it works for a couple of weeks and then does the same thing again. So my question is this; can you get another relay and plug to suit, and cut the old plug off,solder the wires onto a new plug etc, and will this need to be done for just the one door, and what kind of relay do I use, or is it easier just to go to the likes of supercheap and get a 4 door central locking kit and replace the lot!

pup2, Jan 25, 6:16am
Go into a sparky and if they can't get the right relay, just put a standard relay in it's place (cheaper option anyhow)

henderson_guy, Jan 25, 6:33am
I doubt there's still an OEM relay available, the vehicle is 15 years old and central locking was an option. The problem isn't with the relay itself so much, it's the plug. Sourced a 2nd relay from a Mitsi wrecker, that did the same thing. The 3rd option is to get the plug from one with enough wire length left on to join them to the existing ones.

pup2, Jan 25, 6:39am
I would just cut out the plug then and use some female terminals to hook the relay back in. Or yea, option 3. Sounds like you have it under control

henderson_guy, Jan 25, 7:02am
If I get a chance this week, I may pull it out and upload a few pics. Shes been a good ute for the last several years but just starting to get a few little minor electrical niggles. Nothing too major though.