Dodge Avenger

cuda.340, Jun 25, 10:13pm
anyone OWN one of these cars. i'm looking to upgrade the wifes car & of all the cars around this size, it's the most enjoyable car i've looked at. i've checked out 2 of them & they ride nice, they're real quiet on the open road & the engine has plenty of boogie to suit my wifes driving style. i'm just wondering if there's anything i should be looking out for.

audi_s_ate, Jun 25, 10:41pm
Depreciation.

dodgee, Jun 25, 10:44pm
Its a Mopar, allbe it a newer one, so whats not to like.

kevin_the_kiwi, Jun 26, 12:02am
FWD!

doug207, Jun 26, 12:08am
Underpowered, thirsty and tacky build quality!

Wasn't impressed by the one I drove at all, fell in the same basket as the PT Cruiser for me.

trader_84, Jun 26, 12:09am
Mate, you are not going to live forever . and you can't take your toys with you, lol! . give her that E-Body that sits in your shed :))

cuda.340, Jun 26, 7:56am
my wallet wouldn't live past payday if i had to buy fuel for that beast. oh and i plan to be buried in that car so i'll have the coolest set of wheels cruising around hell when i get there.

phillip.weston, Jun 26, 8:10am
as above, I would be most worried about depreciation and perhaps not so great final assembly build quality. The chassis/platform is heavily based on the current shape Lancer, Outlander and ASX platform and uses the same 2.4L chain drive engine that all three use also (along with Hyundai/Kia). Personally myself I don't like the styling at all - the Americans just don't know the words 'subtle' and 'elegant' if it was right in front of them. It looks too big and boxy, the front and rear looks more at home on a larger SUV or minivan. You may as well just buy the Lancer sedan - very similar as far as mechanics are concerned but at least it will come with a better warranty and better re-sale value.

cuda.340, Jun 26, 10:33am
depreciation isn't a problem, they're cheap in the first place. build quality seems to be better than the Mondeo & Maxima, styling wise the interior matches any of the cars, & in most cases looks to be better thought out. exterior styling isn't that bad, they look to have a bit of character & not the same old same old that most boring jap cars have. being a 2.4 they go as good as good as any 2.5 litre auto, & in fact seemed to pull quite well uphill, but that was with no passengers, just me in the car. i'm just looking for a car that fits 4 comfortably & has good visibility & this car fits that bill. so no ones mentioned mechanical unreliability so i guess they're ok!

vjregal770, Jul 30, 4:40pm
They look like a baby Charger (and that can never be a bad thing) but they seem to depreciate like a Citroen, ie horrendously.

Wouldn't mind driving one myself as I'm looking for something that a bit different.

Hopefully the interiors aren't made of wheelie-bin plastic, which seems to be a fetish for many US cars these days.

Here's a road test report from Australia -
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx!ArticleID=44286&vf=24 From NZ -http://www.carandsuv.co.nz/articles/dodge-avenger-sxt-review