Dodge Caliber question.

thedevil1, Jun 2, 1:21pm
Taken my mothers 2008 Dodge Caliber away from my elderly mother for medical reasons. Beautiful car to drive. Shes owned it since new and done just on 40,000ks. Can someone tell me what the whirring noise is than comes from the engine/transmission area. 2litre/6speed/TT CVT. No problems at all except for a constant whirring as the car picks up speed etc. Then settles once at normal driving conditions. Oils/water etc all excellent. Happens at crawling speed and when going through hills where its pushed a bit more. No loss of power and drives great with no malfunctions in the box. I think it may be just a Caliber thing.

m16d, Jun 2, 1:26pm
You've taken you mothers car off her. ?
Hope you drive her every where she wants to go now.

absolute_detail, Jun 2, 1:46pm
Normal cvt whine

kazbanz, Jun 2, 2:17pm
Without actually driving the car I can't be certain but that does sound like CVT transmission doing its job

msigg, Jun 2, 3:09pm
Sounds like cam belt whir. Or some other belt as in a/c or alternator.

intrade, Jun 2, 4:19pm
You want to be sure what it is , it is a year car that can't be driven when there is something wrong or it can get expensive real fast when it fails.
You can take it to the panel beater next to tool shed and ask the guy with American cars to listen to it. Or i can have a look at it i will be in taumarunui in the next 10 days

tamarillo, Jul 31, 1:20pm
Is the sound more than simply engine whine? Cvt works by not having fixed gears, hit throttle, revs climb and stay there whist gearing changes to allow speed increase. So you hear engine rev at higher revs than you’d expect like having a slipping clutch. Take it for drive and watch rev counter when you boot it. If sound is related to revs and sounds like engine revving all good. If not get it checked, it uses the jatco (Nissan) cvt that’s ain’t got a good rep. Even if all okay these boxes do need servicing.