Outback or Dodge Journey?

3b2g, May 10, 11:01pm
Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium Auto or Dodge Journey R/T 2.7V6 Auto

Which one do you think!Leaning towards the Dodge because I have 3 preschoolers & the car will be great for kids as its very child focused.Have never had a dodge before, currently driving an Outback & like it.Whichever car I go with will be a LONG term thing, like wont be getting another car for 10-15 years.

phillip.weston, May 10, 11:07pm
Dodge will be good while it's still under the factory warranty, but it will not be afterwards. The Americans don't make their cars to last, they practically throw them away every 5 years. The Journey has the same underpinnings as the Mitsubishi Outlander but the 2.7 V6 and transmission is their own unit. They are a good well appointed car with lots of space and features, but things will start falling apart soon. Re-sale is bound to be poor too.

The Outback is a good car also, but perhaps too small for your needs. I would be looking at things like the Outlander, RAV4 5dr, Santa Fe, CR-V, X-Trail, Sorento, Tribeca, 4007 etc.

thejazzpianoma, May 10, 11:15pm
Probably not what you want to hear but have you considered something with a decent diesel engine! Given being "child focused" often means running around town etc and the type of vehicle you are looking at there area lot of reasons to go for a good Euro diesel.

If you are looking new, I think you may find the better car may be a near new but dearer new machine for the same money. Also are you just buying this for the higher seating or will you actually be using the 4WD capabilities!

If not needing 4WD a cross type vehicle that is actually 2WD may save your pocket for tyres etc if you are doing typical round town with kids type running.

Also. have you looked at a VW Tiguan! They are such a nice machine with the tasty DSG gearbox and awsome VW Diesel.

3b2g, May 11, 8:09am
Thanks, thats given me some more to think about.I am sort of stuck on the price of the vehicle at around $45k as that is the most I can spend.The company I work for lease a car for me (4 yr leases) but this time I am getting them to do a finance lease so I can buy the car at the end of the 4 years as in 4 years my current car (affectionatly referred to as my coon car) toyota estima 2000 will be at the end of its life.Me buying the car at the end of the lease is a cheap way for me to then own a car thats only 4 years old and will do me for another 10-15 years.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 6, 6:06pm
What do you think of the Skoda Yeti!
Its about the most awarded and highly acclaimed car on the planet at the moment. It would make sense too given it has VW's outstanding diesels and DSG gearbox. Its a great long term proposition and one that is going to be very affordable for you to run once you start paying for the gas.
It should be an easy one to justify to the company to for the same low running cost reasons (even if you have to squeeze and extra couple of thousand out of them on the purchase). My only quibble would be whether the back seat is going to be wide enough, but check it out in person and see what you think.
Skoda/Audi/VW are in a class of their own for this sort of vehicle so don't be put off be the pre-conseptions of Skoda's of old or cheesy dealers who import second rate Asian 4x4's trying to tell you they look funny etc. Its not worth paying 60% more in running costs to drive a lesser vehicle just so you can look like the unthinking masses!