Supercheap Calibre

Page 1 / 2
jkm, May 16, 9:42am
Any one tried the calibre brake pads from Supercheap.! Are they middle of the road or cheap sh*t!
how do they relate to say ferodo which I think are middle of the road for performance!

clark20, May 16, 9:44am
Is it worth the risk! I was at the AAAA show in Melbourne last week and I thought would I risk a couple of $$ to buy cheap no-name brake pads ! Hell no, give me Bendix etc anyday

phillip.weston, May 16, 9:51am
x1
I'm sure they are just a rebrand of a common place brand, can't remember which brand though - perhaps Bendix or Ferodo.

bobin55, May 16, 10:00am
I use them on a 4wd and find good they are bendix brand and so are good/hope this helps

jkm, May 16, 10:07am
x1
Thanks for the feedback. Cheers.

hoarder635, May 16, 10:54am
good road pads
just looked at the box and it says made by bendix
which is a fairly strong brand

n1smo_gtir, May 16, 12:44pm
if just for daily drives, can't be that bad right! surely it must pass certain tests before they can be sold on the shelves right.

321mat, May 17, 12:48am
DOn't waste you money on Calibre, or Silverline for that matter.

You are only putting your own life, and that of others, at risk.

Spend a few dollars more and buy some Ferodo (or Bendix). you will appreciate the greater feel, the longer pad life, and the shorter stopping distance may well indeed save your life.

phillip.weston, May 17, 12:49am
Huh! Did you not read the above! Calibre pads ARE Bendix pads. You can happily pay more money to get Bendix pads in a Bendix box, but other people are happy to get Bendix pads in a Calibre box for a cheaper price.

321mat, May 17, 12:58am
Yes, I see.

BUT, I have always understood that the Bendix made Calibre pads are of a greatly lesser quality.
Hence the tone of my post.

phillip.weston, May 17, 1:01am
Bendix make cheap nasty pads right through to really good expensive pads, you can't speculate what quality the calibre pads are until you find out exactly what compound they are.

thunderbolt, May 17, 4:47am
You did just that in your previous post.
They will be made to a formula based on a cost price, so like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

thunderbolt, May 17, 4:48am
Enjoy the show clark! My feet were killing me after 3 days on the stand.

clark20, May 17, 8:48am
yeah, it was good, found out lots of things, like which bushes to replace on the Commodore from Nolathane etc (turns on the rear subframe ones are soft and cause car sickness in the back, esp the kids, which is what happened on my last trip). The show cars where neat like the utes etc,the R8 and Enzo. Bloody cold there, glad to get home.

electro2000, May 17, 9:12am
x1
what a cock if they were dangerous they would not sell them ,

clark20, May 17, 9:15am
I remember a brand repco sold called Canstop, which they did not do very well, I threw them away and vowed to never buy cheap/nasty safety products again.

thunderbolt, May 17, 10:14am
x1
Plus they had some coldies stashed which they were happy to share.
Maybe it was payback for the cupcakes they were "borrowing" from our stand.

vjregal770, May 17, 10:53am
I'd only buy them for a Great Wall ute

ct9a, May 17, 8:59pm
saves wearing out the undersized rotors!

321mat, May 18, 12:58am
There are pads that stop, and pads that REALLY stop.

Whilst they are not "dangerous" per se, better pads from makers such as Ferodo will work better and you will stop sooner, in a shorter distance.

Oh, and thanks for the uneducated insult.

elect70, May 18, 1:27am
Amusingthese "comparisons" of course those that say they are shit have done extensive tests with severaldifferent pads on same carat same conditions,. If they put them in aexpensive brand box you would say they are shit hot .Same with"shit" Shell petrolI bet if it was labeled BP they would say its lot better withincreased millage /performance-- yeah rightjust because its cheap doest mean its crap . Repco put cheap oil filters iin their boxes & sell them at 6 times the price .

ct9a, May 18, 3:32am
i have on race cars,have found mintex,hawke and bendix mettallics very good

hijacka, May 18, 3:47am
A high performance pad may stop you a fraction sooner than a cheaper one but puts significant wear on the disk rotor and you in up with less braking performance though warped or scuffed rotors anyway. High performance brake pads are great for the track but wouldn't want them in my daily driven car unless i didn't mind changing buying new rotor everytime i changed out pads. I run brake plus pads in my cars and never had any problems, they may wear down faster but $35 per set there a bargain and they out perform a remsa pad which are twice the price. I use to sell them and never had any back and thats out of 1000s and 1000s!. Couldn't see SC making any mistakes with there in house brand. they would have to comply and pass delaminating and temp tests.

jkm, May 18, 6:12am
" a fraction sooner" is fairly imprecise term. $35 for Brakeplus budget pads and up to $299 for high end race pads. has to be a happy medium in between.The calibre are approx $50 at Supercheap,but $50 at Supercheap could be $70 at Repco due to price variations.
Interestingly the Calibre do the DB3244 which is the police spec pad with much more surface area for $58, but what you mighy gain in pad surface area could be 'lost due to low grade composition. Thoughts!

jkm, May 18, 6:13am
So you use these on your Commodore, Scotty!