5w30 Synthetic Engine oils:Castrol Edge vs Calibre

humvee, Jul 27, 9:54am
I notice there is a big price difference between these oils, In the past with my preavious cars I was always a loyal castrol maganetec 10w40 user. But my new car a 2000 Subaru Lancaster 6 requires 5w30 oil and the small containers of 5w30 magnatec that were about for awhile have dissappered, so that leaves Castrol Edge

Is it worth the extra price - or is there something else I should be using!

carmedic, Jul 27, 10:00am
The Calibre stuff is fine made by Caltex,very well rated (cant remember but C3 for late diesels with particulate filters) I use heaps of it 5.5Ltrs a pack makes it very cheap.

humvee, Jul 27, 10:23am
Thanks

What are the repco brand oils(5w30) like and how do the compare to Castrol Edge or Calibre!

bjdw, Jul 27, 10:26am
Mobil 1
Penrite

About the same price as Edge (roughly)
(off the top of my head)

chris.f, Jul 27, 10:40am
You may want to look into Agip oils:
FORMULA 3000 PLUS 10W-40 synthetic or GRAND TURBO 10W30 semi synthetic or FORMULA PRESTIGE 5W30 synthetic.

clark20, Jul 27, 10:43am
The edge used to be $50 for 5L on special, now it is Titanuim its more like $85, and I need two of them. Might have to try Fuchs from BNT.

twink19, Jul 28, 2:22am
Lucas, Valvoline, Fuchs

mrcat1, Jul 28, 3:23am
Total Quartz 5-30 synthethic is good as well

hijacka, Jul 28, 3:47am
I've used both and happy to pay the extra coin for castrol. I found calibre oil smells ashy and looks darker texture and i noticed it went blacker faster than edge does aswell. You will notice that costrol has a sl api rating and calibre has a sm rating so you get what you pay for.

carmedic, Jul 28, 8:55am
You do understand that means Calibre is better rated don't you!
Calibre Fully synthetic 5w-30 API SM/CF ACEA A3/B4-04,C3-04

thejazzpianoma, Jul 28, 9:49am
I get my Castrol Edge when Supercheap have their 25% off sale. It has such a long life I have plenty of time to pick it up on sale between changes.

I have always found it good, its about the only thing other than the Factory Selenia that you can run successfully in the likes of a 156 JTS. (They need 10w 60).

I just wish supercheap would stock the full range of penrite products, would be nice to pick up good quality appropriately rated coolant for late model VW's etc at the 25% sales.

hijacka, Jul 28, 10:43am
Of course i do.now
I still reckon edge has its advantages over Calibre,

thewomble1, Jul 28, 11:05am
Possibly went blacker faster because of extra detergents in the oil