Motorcycle wheel respoking in auckland

vat69, Mar 25, 6:34pm
does anyone know anyone that can respoke some rims i have had powdercoated recently.i have had the old spokes cleaned and re chromed. but putting the 2 together is like a chinese puzzle .need them to be balanced and trued.cheers

bounce16, Mar 25, 9:53pm
Try posting on the kiwibiker website.I'm sure you'll get a few responses.

drog, Mar 25, 9:54pm

desmodave, Mar 25, 11:20pm
Find the oldest cycle shop onwer you can, and ask them if they can do it.Worth a shot

neell, Mar 26, 7:06am
you rechromed the spokes! Not a clever move. Did the choming guys tell you about how they will now be brittle and will break not long after you get back on the road!

silverman1, Mar 27, 3:01am

silverman1, Mar 27, 6:47am
Re;the previous post,he is in Auckland as well

r15, Mar 27, 7:03am
worst case scenareo, you cant get it to balance- undo the spokes and pay someone to do it for you

r15, Aug 30, 6:17pm
its not a mystic dark voodoo magic that people would have you believe it is.

give it a go yourself, best technique is put in opposites, so put in your first spoke anywhere you like, then put in the next one 180 degrees away from it, to the other side of the hub, then move another 1/4 turn then repeat.

get them all in place, then using your torque-wrist/fingers do them up loose as, then gradually work your way around.

to get it centered and balanced, easiest way is to fit it to the bike and use a ruler or similar object held steady against the swingarm / fork. if you're getting it right the rim will rotate at the same distance as the wheel spins.if you're getting it wrong, by this stage you will be good enough at it to work out how to resolve whatever you've done wrong.

estimated time: 2 hours per wheel