How to check wheel bearings need replacing?

farnortherner, Jan 2, 12:08pm
K thought Id let yous know, got mechanic to have a look for me, the plastic brake booster is got a crack in it.So have paid for another one but second hand for $50 that isnt cracked and will get it put on from mechanic.Thanks for all your help.

farnortherner, Jan 2, 12:13pm
Stupid part is Ive now done something to my nerves on all 3 fingers checking the wheels to see if the brakes werent on properly.Only just got my nerves on my other hand better after about a year.Next Time I just wait for mechanic, lol.

mechnificent, Jan 2, 8:54pm
The booster will account for the hard pedal, but not the noises when braking and cornering. You should check those symptoms, or keep monitoring them and note whether they are getting noisier over a few miles.

len_f, Jan 4, 6:03am
Hi two ways of checking first grip the road wheel at 12 and 6 pull the wheel toward you there should be very little moovment then change hand position to 9 and 3 rock the wheel once again there should not be much moovement .The second way is to put a screwdriver on the hub spin the wheel and listen for a uneven noise it might be a rumble ,hope this helps

farnortherner, Jan 5, 4:46am
Its due for a warrant of fitness so will take it in as soon as boosters put on, hopefully that determines what I have to pay to get sorted.Thanks mechnificent and len_f.Will do that checkLen_f.My warrant of fitness fella that usually does the warrant of fitness does not have that machine that checks the brakes when you drive it over it.Whether that just picks up the braking percentage or anything else not too sure.But will get him to check it out at warrant of fitness check next week.

farnortherner, Jan 5, 4:51am
May as well continue to get it done, its got new tyres, new radiator, new belt and new spark plugs and leads that I put on, and new Fuel pump when I brought it, I also paid for them to sort the error on the airbags when I brought it as the last owner he stuck a bloomin black cardboard to cover that light on the air bag light and he got a warrant for it too, so I thought well if he can do that, it means he got a shotty warrant for it.But Brakes, lol the mechanic can sort that out and the wheel bearings.Im not gonna attempt those jobs.Will change the oil and the oil filter when Ive got that sorted out with booster and checking wheel bearings,due for a change of oil and oil filter, havent done for about 6 months.

farnortherner, Dec 22, 8:10am
I have a ford falcon ef gli stationwagon, and my Brake pads didnt need replacing, I got my mate to put new front brake pads on my car, BUT, he said he didnt need to replace the brake pads on the ef ford as it still had about 70% Brake pad left on them.So he put the wheels back on.I been driving small trips for past two days.Then today I went to start the car and when reversing out the brake pedal was hard.So I asked another mate what it could be.As those past two days it felt like it was a sound of grinding when going around a corner and the brakes would make a bit of a noise.So how do I check if it is the wheel bearings.MY Mate is at work on night shift for the next 2 days till xmas.

a.woodrow, Dec 22, 8:42am
If he didn't try and take the rotors off it would be unlikely to be the wheelbearings. Sounds like the brake pads maybe weren't refitted correctly, I wouldn't recommend driving it till you've had them checked

farnortherner, Dec 22, 9:32am
Thanks A.woodrow, I will have them checked, bit annoying at this time of the year.Kids wont be getting any presents this year, and someones already gone and spent alot, I live rural.So my poor kids are bumming out, in tears.

farnortherner, Dec 22, 9:37am
Mechanic cant check them till after boxing day or could be after new years.

farnortherner, Dec 22, 9:39am
Didnt try to continue to drive as we live around lots of hills, so I just braked asbest I could and turned off car.

franc123, Dec 22, 9:43am
Wait for an expert assessment, neither brakes or wheelbearings should be played with by people who don't know what they are doing. It may be that one of the calipers has siezed.

melanie62, Dec 22, 10:03am
hi jack up the front of your car and spin the wheel hold on to your strut and if you can feel a rumbling type vibration that is the bearing it should be smooth and you could also hold the top and bottom of the wheel and check if there is any play in bearing if there is play it can affect your brakes by causing the rotor to rub on the calliper i hope this helps you.

farnortherner, Dec 22, 12:04pm
Thanks Melanie62, will recheck tomorrow, seemed to be abit of play on the back right hand wheel.I wont attempt to fix the problem, I will get mechanic to do after xmas or when he can do when hes ready.

afer_daily, Dec 22, 5:00pm
i hope this isint the case but maybe if they took them out and put them back in the wrong way round !

r15, Dec 22, 5:10pm
in most cases the pad would just fall out again.

surely you have a friend or family member with at least basic mechanical knowledge who can at least have a look and tell you it's correctly assembled- it doesnt take a genius to assemble brakes correctly

even watch a couple of how do videos on youtube, you'll get enough idea quick enough to see if someone has assembled the brakes wrong

farnortherner, Dec 23, 12:57am
Just been taking the wheel off one by one to see if theres any stones or anything stuck in there, still in the middle of wheel number 2, I dont have family or a man to do the job.So well I have a disability with my wrists, but am just checking to see if any stones stuck, in case its something basic for someone to sort out for me when someone is free

msigg, Dec 23, 12:59am
Whatever he has done needs to be fixed.

farnortherner, Dec 23, 1:49am
Am getting to the front wheels soon, had to have a break and feed my children.Yep will see what hes done, or maybe something else.I hope its easy for a mechanic to fix for me.