73 Kingswood rear seat belts

millerz08, Feb 13, 6:25pm
x1
Im looking for 2 sets of rear seat belts for a 73 HQ.
What is required in replacing these when I locate some! Does anyone have an idea where I could get some in Christchurch! or know of any holden wreckers in the area!
Thanks.

andy61, Feb 13, 7:10pm
Try Seat Belts Sales(NZ) 210 Antigua Street Chch.They have belts of all sizes and colours.Take an old belt with you for a sample. Just unbolt old belts and fit new belts.Check thread size on old and new bolts as the Holden HQs had a coarse thread seat belt bolt size(reuse the old bolts).

millerz08, Feb 13, 7:50pm
There are no seat belts in the rear, so I cant reuse the old bolt. Will bolts be hard to get hold of! I need to get some soon for the warrent in 6weeks.

I will try them and see waht they say. Thanks.

millerz08, Feb 13, 7:58pm
Just gave them a call and they have them in stock.
I think they are a good price, I can get the rear and replace the front for about $380. They dont need cert as they bolt to the original mount.

I was worried it was going to turn into a biggie.

Cheers, Nikki.

andy61, Feb 14, 12:05am
As for bolts,the worse comes the to worse,try Blacks Fasteners Ltd.The top mounts for the rear are under the rear shelf board,be careful removing that board as it can get brittle .Bottom mounts behind and under the rear seat backrest .Also you should get a lap belt to go in centre of rear seat.

lordv81, Feb 14, 12:49am
Why do you need rear belts!they are not needed for a wof.A complete second hand belt set for an hq will be around $100-$300 .Bolts should be only a couple of dollars from any old school wrecker,or have you tried rare spares!If you are after a set of second hand belts let me know as i have a few sitting here.

millerz08, Feb 14, 3:06am
I was under the impression that I needed rear seat belts for the warrent.

I only picked up the car yesturday, and notice that the rear belts had been removed( you can see where they had been originally mounted).
They must have been put in at a later stage.
I will be some to replace the front, as they are faded and worn.

This is my first older car, I usually have new cars. So im not awear of what is required and not.
Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.

woody1946, Feb 14, 3:31am
Not quite as easy as that, If you strike a Hitler at WOF time (like I did) they will need to be certified, which can cost a bit. I was told that the mountings had to be a plate off a certain size welded in then certified. The rear belts were fitted in my 1960 car in 1993, passed a warrant every time until last time I struck a little Hitler at VTNZ, however the simple solution was to take the belts out (not required),then put them in again after the WOF

tuttyclan, Feb 14, 5:20am
My Parents both had HQ Holdens,one being a '72 Kingswood sedan and the other a '73 Monaro LS.Both had seatbelts in the back.I am pretty sure that the Holdens apart from Mercs and the like were one of the first cars to have seatbelts in the back.I am pretty sure that by 1975 or '76 all cars in NZ had to have them fitted to the back.

woody1946, Feb 14, 5:30am
Can't be bothered reading it all, but might be something here

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/seatbelts-and-seatbelt-anchorages-2002.html#13

lordv81, Feb 14, 5:44am
Hqs had the rear seatbelt holes from factory but not all were fitted with belts.Belts in the rear were not fitted on every Holden until after 78 from memory.When you say originally do you mean from factory or have other mount beeb made up!either way you will not need the rear belts for a wof.I have had plenty with no belts and has never been an issue.

andy61, Feb 14, 7:43pm
The HQs that had the 3 lap belts fitted still had mounts fitted on the rear shelf for shoulder and lap belts.Holden knew how to save money when assembling the cars.

pge, Feb 14, 8:06pm
I never remember this.

I got a new HQ in Feb '73, so probably late '72 assembly - it had two lap/diagonals, plus lap in the centre, on both front and rear seats.

All mounts were factory -- I doubt if they were dropped on later models.

ema1, Feb 15, 8:38am
I worked for a GM-H dealership when those old girls were new.Belmonts had factory lap belts in the rear .Kingswoods and Premiers had left and right side lap/diagonals and acentre lap belt in em as did the Statesman & Monaro models in the rear, both Australian and NZ builds.

pge, Feb 15, 9:25am
Interesting.

Mine WAS a Belmont, but had the two diagonals.

Maybe, they were ordered as an extra, I know the disc brakes were.

tuttyclan, Feb 15, 10:11am
Yes I think they did have two lap and shoulder belts and one lap belt for the middle.Dad sold his Kingswood back in 1989 so its been a while lol.

mike107, Feb 15, 10:12am
Seat belts are needed in the back by Law if the car was registered after December 1979. So your holden does not need them.

tuttyclan, Feb 15, 10:13am
My Dads Kingswood had the overiders on the bumpers which made it look really cool.

tuttyclan, Feb 15, 10:15am
Cars were so much more basic back then,My 1960 Vauxhall Victor does not even have windscreen washers or reverse lights lol.

ema1, Feb 15, 6:45pm
Quite often they were optional extra, most ex factory were 3 lap type in rear although the diagonal mount points were in the car from assembly.