Airplane seats in a van

kazbanz, Mar 4, 5:27am
Hey folks.Ive been trying to work out a way I can have a "commercial" van for carting junk and bikes aroundBut then when needed be able to seat the entire tribe to go out.
I figure something like a late model low roof Hiace or caravan would be ideal as a base vehicle. I'm thinking to bolt in the mounting rails for commercial aircraft seats--ie fairly quick release. and use old aircraft seats when needed.
My thinking is that the seats are built to be quick released and moved but have to meet impact standards higher than car seats.
Can you see the flaw if any in my thinking !

bitsy_boffin, Mar 4, 5:34am
The need for certification.I imagine that seats need to conform to some design standards - eg, I don't think you'd be able to bolt in some wooden kitchen chairs, so there must be some point where something is not certifiable, just because something is used in an aircraft doesn't mean it's going to be great for road use (quite the opposite in fact, aircraft seats are designed for reduced weight).

In any case, what about a van which have the rear seats already on rails and removable from factory, my dad had one, I'm drawing a blank on the make/model though.

kazbanz, Mar 4, 5:35am
BB--The Nissan serena-02 on does that but I need a full sized van for the bikes so thats not big enough

matthew_129, Mar 4, 7:39am
go have a chat to either van extras in penrose or Jackson enterprises in otara. They fit out vans all the time with the quick release tracking and the seats that fit into the tracking. From memory the only part that requires certification is the seatbelt mount points ( I went through a similar exercise a few years back) I dont think the tracking ever showed up on the cert documentation. If you get the right seats they have a 3 point seatbelt built into them that will meet WOF criteria

matthew_129, Mar 4, 7:41am
Just to add, the VIRM states that if the seats are from a known and reputable manufacturer then they dont require certification either

quickstitch, Mar 4, 8:36am
Kazbanz, i will enquire at work ( Air nz ), when our 747s are at the end of least we strip 'em out and they get converted to cargo planes. Im not sure what happens to the seat but will enquire. DO you want economy or business class! you would only fit two business class seats side by side in a van but probably three economy.

jsbike, Mar 4, 8:47am
I have been looking for an airplane seat for ages for a computer chair, never seen one come up here. I figured they re-furbished them

morrisman1, Mar 4, 8:50am
Id love one as an awesome armchair. A couple economy seats came up on trademe 2 years ago but they wanted far too much for them.

a.woodrow, Mar 4, 8:53am
Get a rough old van sole purpose carting bikes,
Get a nice new van sole purpose carting kids.
Just a thought. obviously 2x rego etc

mark.52, Mar 4, 8:54am
I believe the certification standards for airline seats are actually less than those for passenger vehicle seats. Airline seats don't have to withstand the same G loading - particularly forward/aft - as vehicle seats are required to withstand.

I'd be inclined to ask CAA and the LTSA about this before spending too much.