Honda O2 sensor warning light

Page 2 / 2
doriandarby, Apr 16, 9:31am
Probably right about the Yank manual thing, I acquired mine via the interwebs so it probably is for them.

bigfatmat1, Apr 16, 9:44am
the obd protocol and obd connector are only on american models. japs did not till 2000 also cat convertor light, convertor temp switch are differnt from a check engine light clarify which light is comming on

unbeatabull, Apr 16, 10:40am
Does that model honda have a HEGO or just a standard O2 Sensor!

I'd say the CAT just needs a good blow out as above, if it smells of sulfur after a good squirt its a good indicator

doriandarby, Apr 18, 7:34pm
Follow up: I took Intrade's advice on board and gave it a 5 minute run at 4500rpm (redlines at 6000).So far the cat light has not come back on.

Thanks very much Intrade!

steve98h, Apr 20, 10:28am
on the hondas a faulty O2 sensor generally wont make the cat light come on it will cause the check engine light to come on

kingfisher21, Apr 20, 10:41am
A lot here have no idea obviously of the difference between an o2 sensor and a heat sensor for the cat, if the car has done over 100,000km the cat will be well past it's use by date so just get it removed.

steve98h, Apr 20, 10:45am
its illegal to remove a cat converter, so just take it off, spah the inside out of it with a steel bar and refit and unplug. no 1 wil ever know =p

rkauto, Apr 20, 1:29pm
really!

intrade, Apr 20, 8:41pm
yea its technically "illegal" to remove a cat converter , the is one of the governments legislation that was passed on some date so cars that had it fitted after this date still are not allowed to have it removed. Its like most laws they make dreamed up by someone with a pea for a brain.

steve98h, Apr 20, 9:20pm
yup its a shit law. but if you do this make sure you keep the white powder you remove from them. our scrap metal dealer gives us $90 per cat.

rkauto, Apr 21, 4:05am
Only applies to cars first registered in NZ after 2010

shaun16, Apr 21, 4:11am
i had my cat converter ripped out and a bit of pipe welded in. cost me $50. didnt make any difference to fuel economy. only bad thing is the exhaust is a bit tinny sounding now