Imported car parts from overseas

franc123, Jul 13, 6:40am
Can anyone confirm if the GST free threshold for privately imported parts includes or excludes the freight price, ie is it on the value of the parts only!I realise its NZ$400 max but not sure if its with or without the value of postage or courier!TIA

intrade, Jul 13, 6:43am
it includes fraight price for tax if you are over you get hit with a huge bill of about 20% You can ask the supplyer to lover the value of the goods on the documents but dont lower it to much as the customs are no retards they also can figure out what things are worth and you could end up in trouble if you try and cheat. so i dont recommend you cheat but it is technically possibile.

fordguy17, Jul 13, 9:57am
It's including the shipping. I've had a couple of MASSIVE bills just recently. Best way is to split the order up into smaller packages, it may cost slightly more for postage, but will save you on GST/customs levies/MAF levy. Plus it will also save you a week as it sits in customs while they mail you out the letter, then release the goods once paid for.

franc123, Jul 13, 10:55am
Excellent, thanks.I want to bring in a number of small items but collectively they will be over the maximum $ amount, sounds like fragmenting the order as above is the plan then!

fordguy17, Sep 9, 5:51pm
I should also add that the order number needs to be different. They have clicked onto the fact that most places abroad can send a single order in separate boxes days/weeks apart at the request of the buyer. What are you bringing in may I ask!