Any wellington locals in here?

Page 1 / 2
flashgordon_nz, Jul 14, 6:56am
Im from taranaki, was last in wellington 9 years ago. am coming down to pick up a car tomorrow.Looking at google maps to get to naenae, Hutt valley. Whats the best way, in a ute, towing a car trailer! options appear to be.
1; turning off at Paekakariki and heading over Paekakariki Hill rd.
2; turning off at Paremata, and going thru Judgeford!
both appear to give the same travel time on google.
number 3 appears to add 10 min.
3; carry on to the harbor, to Ngarunga, and head up the hutt road!

all help and input appreciated!

brish, Jul 14, 7:02am
Most people choose Ngaraunga, 2nd choice would be Paremata, but then NaeNae is well up the Hutt Valley.I would probably choose Paremata to go to NaeNae.

mugenb20b, Jul 14, 7:05am
Number 2 is the best way, but you will be greeted with a few judder bars.

Once you get over the Haywards Hill, turn right at the traffic lights (going towards Lower Hutt), then turn left at the next set of lights. Go as far as the eyes can see and you will get to Naenae. Piece of piss.

mugenb20b, Jul 14, 7:13am
This is a good option if you don't like traffic and have a bit more time up your sleeve, but the road is narrow.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 14, 7:16am
It says 4 and a half hours from the middle of taranaki. sounds about right! a couple of hours from palmy!

flashgordon_nz, Jul 14, 7:17am
not knowing the road, and towing a trailer. thats the sort of info I was after. LOL. Sounds like option 2 may be the go!

mugenb20b, Jul 14, 7:17am
Yep, easy.

mugenb20b, Jul 14, 7:21am
Sorry, I should say the road is narrow in some places, you can still tow the trailer over it, nice scenery too, but option 2 is the quickest way.

skin1235, Jul 14, 7:26am
definitely paramata, the paekok hill is not where you take a wide trailer with intent to return loaded
and haywoods is not a hill, for palmy folk haywoods is not even mt stewart, haywoods would be the equiv of tremain ave to ashurst

mugenb20b, Jul 14, 7:34am
Except that people drive faster on Tremaine Ave than Haywoods Hill.

skin1235, Jul 14, 8:10am
it ain't the non existent hill slowing them down, it's the fekin lunatics that are too scared to drive at the speed limit, and then speed up at every passing opportunity
by the time they get over their tunnel vision ( cannot see anywhere but directly ahead), and their inability to read the road or other traffic ( why should they, there is only one important person on the entire roading system on any given day - just themselves - all others are merely objects to attempt to bully into submission then pass leaving the barest of space between pulling out and pulling back in again, bonus points if you get their mirrors on the way through them) then when ahead you have to slow down to t minus 20 just to prove the point that you passed them, and you really do control the roads, including the poor sucker you just passed

superdave0_13, Jul 14, 8:53am
Personally I would go the gorge. Much easier and probably quicker too once you throw the trailer into the equation.

hardman02, Jul 14, 9:05am
2 will be the easiest way i would go

kiwitracy, Jul 14, 9:06am
Option 1 - don't do it if you don't know the road.Alot of GPS units send people this way, so you often get SLOW tourists.The road is quite narrow at points, and alot of corners.BUT if there is an accident on SH1 around the bays, this will work!
Option 2 - you are going thru areas that have reduced speed limits.
Option 3 - Motorway quality road all the way!100kph speed limits apart from the bit from J'ville to SH2 which is 80kph.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 14, 10:30am
google shows it as being 10 min longer. is this true! or much of a muchness!

hornnett, Jul 14, 10:51am
What!strange person having a rant all by themselves.

cowboy110, Jul 14, 11:04am
Personally I'd go option 2 (Haywards) but then I know the road.If I was in no hurry or wasn't overly confident with a car on a trailer I'd choose option 3 (Ngauranga Gorge and Hutt Road).Option 1.Paekakariki Hill Road would be my last choice.

e.g.cat, Jul 14, 5:33pm
Option 2 Flash, but it will take longer than 4.5 hours! I drive up and down between Hutt and NP very often and I can tell ya - add time especially on a Sunday! In fact, you should have left already so this won't help at all

kiwitracy, Jul 17, 2:51am
So Flashgordon, which way did you go!I travelled the Paekakariki Hill on Sunday morning, and saw a ute towing a trailer and thought of you!

gusthe1, Jul 17, 3:05am
What is the speed limit with a trailer Kiwitraccy!

chebry, Jul 17, 4:52am
90kph towing a trailer

superdave0_13, Jul 17, 5:54am
If he had any real balls he would have gone Waikanae to Upperhutt via Akatarawa Rd.

tigra, Jul 17, 6:03am
And never made it.

russ18, Jul 17, 6:48am
Either 2 or 3 but not 1.

sr2, Jul 17, 7:03am
Mate I??