Swapping vin, plates and tags

Page 2 / 4
bellky, Jul 11, 3:23am
You say here^ 'never been legal' which is rubbish, as it's always been legal. Back before VINs cars were rebodied and noone gave a toss, now days there are processes to go through; either way it is possible and legal and always has been, to transfer the registration of one car to another.

Reference 1:
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-entry-cert/docs/pre-reg-vin-3.pdf Reference 2: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-entry-cert/docs/pre-reg-and-vin-4-vin-affixing-v3a4.pdf

wimwom, Jul 11, 4:54am
x1
Ownership papers or registration cert were issued to motor vehicles that either had a number stamped or a tag rivited to the body. Removing either and fixing to another vehicle is fraud.The vin process came in to make identification easier however swapping a vin tag from one to another is still the same. The revin process is a different process and nothing to do with the original thread of swappingvin plates and tags. I new one would be fitted.
I know of a guy who owned 2 triumphs, one dead, one rusty, both same. He swapped id from rusty to dead and got caught.Police were very hot on this some years back.

friendly_prawn, Jul 11, 5:16am
cant see them giving a tossunless they had an idea one of the cars were stolen.

richardmayes, Jul 11, 5:25am
LOL - I've been driving Triumphs for nearly 18 years. never had anyone try to steal one!

richardmayes, Jul 11, 5:29am
I guess the legal identity of the car has to rest somewhere, so they in their infinite wisdom decided the best place for the identity to rest is with the body structure, that is "the car" and everything else is just a part attached to "the car."

As per jazz comment #5 I don't think I would feel too guilty if all I was doing was a body shell replacement from a donor car I owned.

Attempting to buy a set of live plates & tags to fit to a car in my possession. now it's harder to think of an honest reason for doing that.

wimwom, Jul 11, 5:44am
There is one happening now i'm told. Car was "adjusted" 3 owners ago and something has brought it to light now.It's simply not legal plain and simple and Just because it's not common place to hear of anyone getting pinged for it doesn't make it so.
These days where it's all about the money and "us" motorists constantly getting fleeced, i would think now more than ever is the time to play things safe.Each to their own !

wimwom, Jul 11, 5:45am
yea, i agree. This was some time ago but never the less it happened!

wimwom, Jul 11, 5:52am
I have a 74 super beetle. I am reflooring it with a 71 1302 to obtain the front disc brakes and replace my stuffed irs box and master cylinder.The car has id tag on body as well as id tag on tunnel near rear seat. This is illegal and i am aware of that. The 1302 is long deadand my 1303 on hold. I will glue a cover of carpet or rubber over the top of the floor stamp and see how i go.The car has never had a vin so hopefully all will be good.I guess if i'm caught i will get done. I'm guessing that that is the reason why the vin tag is fixed to the firewall on type MA vehicles and often the chassis on type MB. The MA type aremonocoque construction.

bellky, Jul 11, 6:00am
"I guess if i'm caught i will get done. "

Do you know what that^ means and the possible implications! (Genuine question).

bellky, Jul 11, 6:04am
I can tell you them: Police check on both chassis stamps. Vehicle issued with VIN. End of story.

wimwom, Jul 11, 6:32am
Yep, i know what it means.Car will still have all legit numbers, i'm happy with that.Having spoken to a few inspectors it seems most will use the front body fixed tag over trying to locate the other, that's good enough for me.Its a old car i am building to give my daughter, wont be on sold.
The front mounted number is a fixed tag, the tunnel is stamped but in a prick of a position.It could easily be damaged beyond being able to be read!

bellky, Jul 11, 6:48am
Yep - you are sort of proving my point more than me lol.

wimwom, Jul 11, 7:05am
Well no.I still know it's illegal regardless of who is doing it or at what time.You said that it was very common and wasn't illegal!It is. No two ways about it.The 1302 i am using the floor of sat in a barn for over 20 years, hasn't been licensed since carless days were about.It isn't stolen but it's body was so rusty you could put your hand into the car via the panel under the rear window. My 1303 has been in my ownership for 8 years and has been in my garage in bits for over 7 of those.It will still have it's black plates, its correct papers and its correct assembly tag. Nothings being drilled or swapped and as said something could easily damage the floor mounted stamp!

bellky, Jul 11, 7:29am
x1
Ok, have it your way.

supernova2, Jul 11, 11:43am
Just wonder why or how you would get caught.

If i have two identical cars and I take them both completely to pieces and then reaseemble them how would anyone know that in the process I might have mixed the bits up.I'm thinking here of cars where the factory tag says refer engine for engine number and the like.Or on the other hand I only build one car and leave a pile of bits in my shed.Why would anyone ever have the idea that they should check that all the correct bits and in thge correct car!Any ideas anyone!.Also is it possible to have a maching numbers NZ assembled car - did they actually issue build sheets!

h2oldragon, Jul 11, 8:36pm
Its always been illegal to swap identities on a vehicle.
The identity of a vehicle is concidered to be the frame or chasis.
When a chasis was seperate from the body then the body could be swapped.
You can swap every other part of a vehicle except the chasis with an identical part.
The way around it is to have proof of ownership of both vehicles.With that you are basicly deregistering the old car and registering another one.It becomes a whole new vehicle.

db.price, Jul 11, 11:13pm
And depending on the age of the car the ID will still be on it - example modern Subaru's have micro dots all over the car with the VIN number on them.

So when was the car stolen!

shuddupowh, Jul 12, 12:41am
Most cars have the chassis # stamped into the firewall anyway. If you swap the vin tag, the chassis # wont match. And the WOF inspectors check them in the system.

kazbanz, Jul 12, 1:07am
You reckon! I just sold an import car thats been in unzud since 2004. so its been through at least 14 wof checks. NO sighn of a vin tag anywhere nor any scribing on the back window.
In theory you are right but 14 wof's with it missed

gizmsme, Jul 12, 4:34am
Many older cars just had a tag on the rad support panel.Easy to remove and when done, hard to detect.

rossy, Jul 12, 5:08am
Heaps of Minis were bought in from Japan.wouldn't pass our crash test and emission laws of course, so got plates and tags from old NZ new ones.

joanie32, Jul 12, 5:56am
what a load of bollocks. iverebodied plenty of cars. Tell VTNZ get appropriate form and pay $30. Done ahilux once, repairedwith 2nd hand chassis and cab. Had the inspector a tad confused but it all went through ok.

bellky, Jul 12, 6:00am
Good on ya mate, I'd been waiting for some common sense/experience to prevail.

wimwom, Jul 12, 6:36am
Interesting!Seen as you have piped up and called this rubbish i dont suppose you are prepared to give a reg number of any you have done!That hilux will be interesting, so ifyou have that it would be good.I dont think VTNZ do anything for $30 so to see what's up i will take this thread along to their main branch here tomorrow and ask them direct.Will post results tomorrow, quite happy to except and admit if what i have written is wrong.

kazbanz, Jul 12, 6:41am
What was that form number exactly! and how long ago did you do this!
Im off to Japan soon so if this is all legit and legal as you say I'm gonna be bringing in a pile of late 90's cars and vans and "rebodying" wrecked kiwi new stuff.
97/98 hi/ long hiace diesel van anyone!