Swapping vin, plates and tags

Page 1 / 4
fish1963, Jul 6, 9:37am
is it possible to swap live plates from one car to another with dead plates!

dice4, Jul 6, 9:38am
possible yes. Legal, no.

modie61, Jul 6, 9:38am
You can,but its not legal. Be careful what you say.

40wav, Jul 6, 9:40am
Hypothetically speaking of course, yes it is.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 9:47am
So. what happens if your car suffers bodyshell damage and you replace said bodyshell!

Is that not technically legal like replacing any other part of the car!

Not saying it is or isn't just always wondered about that one.

mrfxit, Jul 6, 10:08am
Not legal since they brought in VIn's & Certs
Change of body requires revining, even half body replacements would automatically fall under a revin because the repair would need a panel cert

wimwom, Jul 6, 8:59pm
Never been legal.The "ownership" papers or registration cert is a legal document, adjusting a vehicle becomes using a document to defraud.This has nothing to do with when vin numbers came in, it's all about that paperwork!

kazbanz, Jul 6, 9:10pm
Fish. As others have said of course it is 100% possible.
It is also 100% against the law.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why.

kazbanz, Jul 6, 9:16pm
Back in "the old days" I'd say there would be no reason why not
By the old days I mean back when you could (basicly) remove the body from a car and still have a driveable vehicle.The CHASIS was stamped
Nowadays the body IS the Chasis so replacing the body is replacing the chasis.
That is the line in the sand.

lookoutas, Jul 6, 9:28pm
^ Which means - Now you can replace a chassis.

I would never dream of doing such things :-)

It's the dishonest people that stuff it all up. I don't see anything wrong with replacing a rotted out shell with a good one, instead of patching up a dog only to finish up with a pig-dog.

bellky, Jul 6, 9:30pm
Actually I'm lead to believe that back in the day before VINs rebodying (even re-chassising!) was normal practice.

And cars can still be rebodied (re-chassis'd) today as long as LTSA (sp) are kept informed.

bellky, Jul 6, 9:32pm
Yes this can be done, all you have to do is keep LTSA informed. Maybe it does require re-VINing but it will still be on the same registration.

bellky, Jul 6, 9:35pm
You can even get a VIN put on a chassis stamp (pre VIN) car if the chassis stamp is missing or tampered with or illegible. Obviously a Police check is required etc.

mrfxit, Jul 6, 9:36pm
The biggest problem with "re-bodying" a vehicle these days apart from most vehicles DON'T have a separate chassisis, is the cert restrictions that mean the replacement must also be of the same exact factory spec (engine/ gearbox/ suspension/ electrics etc) some of which can be changed at a later date easily but not at the change/replacement of body

trader_84, Jul 6, 9:38pm
I don't reckon thats the case, I more inclined to agree with wimwom. its more to do with the paper war stacking up - and matching with whats on the ground.

bellky, Jul 6, 9:38pm
If you swap the VIN, Tag, and Plates to another car the new car will still have a chassis stamp somewhere most likely, and that's going to be the problem if someone doesn't like it at the testing station, Insurance Co or whatever.

bellky, Jul 6, 9:40pm
It can be matched by applying a VIN to the vehicle so both paperwork and vehicle id#s match. Look it up and speak to LTSA as I have.

trader_84, Jul 6, 9:41pm
Yep, it was.

mugenb20b, Jul 6, 9:42pm
The only problem is is that the last 6 numbers on the chassis plate have to match the last 6 numbers on the VIN plate (if it has one). And, I've bought and sold a couple of vehicles with no matching numbers in the past.

trader_84, Jul 6, 9:42pm
Sorry . that was meant for Kaz's comments, not you.

bellky, Jul 6, 9:43pm
And this is why there is the option to 'fix' things by applying for a VIN to be assigned to the vehicle so it matches up. Requires Police check etc.

bellky, Jul 6, 9:44pm
Ok cool thanks, sorry I thought it was all about me lol.

kazbanz, Jul 6, 10:09pm
totally different than swapping id from one car to another.

wimwom, Jul 6, 10:28pm
The LTSA will require a revin which is the correct process to avoid drefrauding the system, which is exactly what i said in my first post.Registration papers are like a birth cert, you cant just change things to suit your needs, IF you are caught you will be done for fraud. Vin numbers have made being caught even more likely. The vin number records all the specifics of the vehicle the moment it gets entered into the system and stays there .

friendly_prawn, Jul 11, 2:57am
have you actually heard of anyone being done for this.
Not talking stolen cars here either.
Unless the car is actually stolen I dont think the cops would care less.